The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 8, 2016, 04:47 PM   #1
sticky55

Bullet seating mistake?

Hey guys I just finished finished making 9 rounds and everything up until the seating I feel I did right. I can see a ring where the bullet is seated in the case. I noticed this on other factory ammo but it seems more apparent on what I loaded.
I got consistent powder measures of 4.7 grains of w231 for 124 grain hornady xtp bullets with an c.o.a.l of 1.060.
I don't know if the picture is good enough but you can see how the brass looks warped where the bullet is sitting. I feel I might not have flared it enough or something.

Last edited by sticky55; August 8, 2016 at 05:09 PM.
Old August 8, 2016, 05:06 PM   #2
briandg

The brass is expanded to a few thousandhs of an inch smaller than bullet diameter. this allows for a friction fit. Keeps it together tighter and allows pressure to build early on in ignition.

Even a fraction of an inch of either bullet or brass being off measurement will change that measurement. If you have perfect brass that gives you a perfect stretch and the bulge turns into a perfect ring that only tapers a tiny bit, it would be nearly unnoticeable.

No, you did not make a mistake. You are probably not noticing the bulge because it is beyond your limits of perception. If you use a quality micrometer and measured, you would find that above and below the bullet will be properly shaped. a fraction of the size of the bullet undersized, if that is a cheap bullet it could happen, would make your bulge look smaller.

Ooh, should maybe rethink that line...
Old August 8, 2016, 05:58 PM   #3
Nick_C_S

I'm not a machinist. But I believe it is known as an "interference fit" and is generally a good thing in the ammunition loading world. It is creating tension that will hold the bullet in place - until it needs to go, of course

Looks just fine. Normal.
Old August 8, 2016, 08:54 PM   #4
iagbarrb

Just check if the bullet fits your chamber as a factory one.
Some pistols do not allways like reloaded ammo, particullary Glocks. Yo need to make good reloads to avoid problems in such guns.
Otherwise your bullet looks fine.
Old August 10, 2016, 11:07 PM   #5
MosinM39

You can do the "plunk test' by removing barrel and drop in the round, to see if it seats properly in the chamber. Or you can get a case gage to test the rounds, (I do not believe in case gages for semi auto handguns, but many do use them, often competitive shooters.)

Lee makes a factory crimp die in their 4 die pistol set that will do the equivalent of a good taper crimp. It also "re-resizes" that bulge out of the brass in that final step too, or at least ensures good alignment.

In my .45 ACPs and some 9mm loads I have always had that little bulge in the brass where the base of the bullet is located. Overall the bullet alignment is fine for a handgun and it never affects accuracy as long as the rounds feed and chamber properly.

Last edited by MosinM39; August 10, 2016 at 11:12 PM.
Old August 11, 2016, 03:06 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

Means the case was sized a bit too much or it was a tick off centre. Usually. If the loaded cartridge drops into the chamber, it's fine. No safety issue at all.
Old August 11, 2016, 03:33 PM   #7
Reloadron

Not unusual to see in factory ammunition or hand loads. Any concerns or reservations you can always try a Plunk Test and make sure the rounds will chamber. The case was sized and case mouth flared. The case ID (internal diameter) below the case mouth and flare was just a little smaller than the bullet OD (outside diameter). Often the concern is that the bulge follows the center line axis of the case, not large on one side and small on the opposing side. Anyway, a simple plunk test will reveal if the cases will chamber in your gun.

Ron
Old August 11, 2016, 05:02 PM   #8
Longshot4

When you are seating the bullet into the sized case. Try to place the bullet as straight as you can. The more you have the bullet tilted off center of the case when the die presses the bullet into the case. The more you will see a case with that bulge off to one side. The Die has a hole that holds the bullet straight to seat. Although the guiding hole can only be so tight or the bullet will get stuck in the die. I dought that I used all the proper terms but I hope you can understand.
Old August 11, 2016, 05:51 PM   #9
briandg

T oheir, remember that the nine has a slight, but visible taper, and it's going to make this lump stand out more prominently by being a small case with a large-ish bump. The 45 acp, however, has an insignificant taper. Almost straight. It's a lot harder to see. A factory nine, with proper taper is going to be flattened out to a straight wall as sized by a simple carbide ring. Handloads are almost certain to look weird.

I always wondered. I go to a lot of trouble loading.358 lead in my .357. If I use a a lee crimp to jam the casing to a uniform shape and size, it follows that my .358 bullets are undoubtedly going to be crushed along with the brass. Can anyone explain that?