The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 14, 2008, 10:09 AM   #1
Domino

Lee alox question

When using Lee's liquid alox I normally tumble the bullets around in a tub but would just dipping the portion that will come in contact with the barrel do anything different than coating the entire bullet? I guess I'm wondering if having the nose of the bullet coated does anything that I'm missing. Thanks.
Old August 14, 2008, 10:28 AM   #2
darkgael

Lee alox

I have used Lee alox for years and have not found that coating the entire bullet has any bad effect on its accuracy.
Pete
Old August 14, 2008, 10:48 AM   #3
gw45acp

It all comes down to how much time you want to spend. LLA or XLOX is all I use for my hand cast bullets. I have tried standing the lubed bullets on their bases, dipping the base and, more often than not, just tumble lubing and dumping them on wax paper and leaving them where they land. There is really no difference in performance. I'm just not patient enough to handle the bullets one by one so I just deal with the lube on the nose and base of the bullet. I do dust them with mica or talc to reduce stickiness and to help keep the reloading dies cleaner.