The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 1, 2008, 10:14 PM   #1
GASCHECK

S&W Model 40

Shooters:
A gun magazine had a recent article on the reintroduction of the S&W Model 40. I am trying to figure out why a grip safety is needed on a double action revolver. I have disabled them on my 1911 Autos, and I consider them useless, :barf: except maybe on hammerless pocket autos. Comments?
Thanks! Gascheck.
Old January 2, 2008, 09:29 AM   #2
carguychris

Since the Model 40 is part of S&W's "Classic" series, IMHO the grip safety is there because the original "lemon squeezer" had one, not because it's functional or useful.

The grip safety was originally intended to make the gun harder for children to fire. Is it useful? S&W eliminated it decades ago and I think that speaks for itself.

[EDIT] IMHO the 10+ lb DA-only trigger pull on a Centennial J-frame is enough of a safety in itself. I would wager that most wheelgun fans agree with me. Furthermore, I don't think it ever really met its intended purpose- any child strong enough to pull that trigger is probably also strong enough to disengage the grip safety.
Old January 2, 2008, 01:48 PM   #3
BillCA

The original hammerless Model 40 (and M42) re-introduced the revolver grip safety featured on S&W's New Departure ("Lemon Squeezer") series guns. Why?

When the S&W "Chief's Special" was introduced in 1950, it was a big hit with police in northern climates because it could easily be carried in their overcoat pockets. This eliminated the need to unbutton their overcoats to draw a gun.
By 1951, several of NYPD's officers had requested a version of the Chief's Special that could be carried, drawn or even fired from inside an overcoat pocket. S&W engineers adapted the old "Safety Hammerless" design to the J-Frame and the result was the Centennial model.

One of the problems with coatpocket carry is that some people do stupid things like put car keys or other objects in the pocket too. If one of these snags the trigger (then at around a 6 lb pull) the gun could be discharged whilst retrieving one's keys. The addition of the grip safety adds a layer of security should something (anything) snag the trigger. Lest you think a grip-safety is unnecessary, there have been several articles where police (and even a chief) has discharged a Glock in their front pocket while retrieving car keys!

Note too, that the grip-safety equipped Centennials came with a pin mounted in a frame hole under the grips that was intended to let the owner pin-down the grip safety. Often these pins were lost or missing.

The grip safety disappeared along with the Model 40's & Model 42's in 1974. When the Centennial series resurfaced circa 1992 (the Model 042) the grip safety was eliminated. subsequent "new" Centennials like the 442 and 640/642 series have eliminated the safety too.
Old January 2, 2008, 06:12 PM   #4
GASCHECK

Yes, now I remember the pin supplied to disable the grip safety. Bet the lawyers today would have a ball with that!

As far as "Lemon Squeezer". I have heard this term applied to the Smith. But I thought a true lemon squeezer meant a type of palm pistol that was almost round and had a sort of "T" shaped plunger/handle to fire it.

Gascheck
Old January 2, 2008, 06:30 PM   #5
Dilligaf

Anyone got a pic of these guns? I have to admit that I never knew they existed!
Old January 2, 2008, 08:52 PM   #6
HuntAndFish

S&W M40
Old January 3, 2008, 04:04 AM   #7
Bill DeShivs

Are the new mod. 40s on the old .38 frame, or the new .357 frame?
Old January 3, 2008, 12:50 PM   #8
DPris
Member Emeritus

Extended .357 frame, but with the chambers bored only for .38s.
Denis
Old January 3, 2008, 06:34 PM   #9
flusher

Vintage Model 40 Centennial