The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 5, 2017, 08:55 PM   #1
just-shootUSPSA

Race Holster for Rock Island Pro Ultra Match 1911 A 2 HC

I bought a 1911 DAA racer for it and it doesn't sit down far enough in the holster for the barrel and holster to sit parallel. It isnt milled high enough up in front of the trigger guard like my govt 1911 is thus not letting it sit down in the holster like it should. Anyone else run into this? Know of a holster that will work? Thanks in advance!
Old April 6, 2017, 07:37 AM   #2
Don P

You have a photo of the set up, gun and holster?? From the race holsters I see at the range something doesn't sound right. The muzzle sits on a nub and the trigger guard gets locked in with nothing touching the front of the trigger guard
Looking at their web site there is an insert, from DAA web site
Quote:
The Insert block grips the pistol only on the front end of the trigger guard, and a very precise fit is required in that area. In some cases some light modifications to the Insert Block may be required.

Should you need to dismantle your insert block for some fitting, follow these steps:
1. Remove the insert block from the holster by removing the two small M4 screws from the back of the holster.
2. Using a punch and hammer, push the two steel pins from the front of the block towards the back (push from the side with the gun type engraved). These pins may be tight.
3. Once the pins are out, the plastic wedge holding the 2nd magnet will come out. Make sure the magnet does not fall out the part. It is usually held snugly it its pocket.
4. Use a marker to make a dot on the top of the magnet which is embedded in the slide lock. This will make it easy for you to ensure that you reassemble it with the correct side up. Most likely it will fall out or you will want to remove it while fitting the slide lock.
5. To remove the slide lock from the block, unscrew the M3 screw visible from the back of the block – and then slide the slide lock upwards and out through the window in the block – passed the safety lever, which must be in the unlocked position.

To reassemble- reverse your steps.

The Race-Master Holster Insert Blocks are design to be used in either RH or LH holsters. The same insert works for both.
Did you look at CR Speed race holsters?
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.

Last edited by Don P; April 6, 2017 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Adding info
Old April 10, 2017, 12:30 PM   #3
RickB

Can't help with your holster, but having seen a guy or two push his gun out of a clip-on holster like that, just by squatting or sitting, I'd recommend a holster that covers the muzzle, like the Safariland 014.
I'd be leery of any holster that needs a lock to prevent the gun from falling out.
Old April 11, 2017, 06:28 AM   #4
Don P

Quote:
I'd be leery of any holster that needs a lock to prevent the gun from falling out.
That's what race holsters are all about. Use the lock when you are not shooting the stage. When the lock is used the holster is as safe as any other holster.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old April 11, 2017, 01:16 PM   #5
RickB

Unless, after unlocking it and while assuming the start position, the gun falls out.
There's no speed advantage to that type of holster, compared to one that has to have the gun lifted 1/2" to clear the muzzle.
There's also no chance of forgetting to unlock that style of holster.
Race holsters should be about going fast, with safety, security, and simplicity, and the clip-on holsters compromise the last three with no speed benefit.
Old April 20, 2017, 07:48 AM   #6
just-shootUSPSA

DAA Race Master Holster

After long hours and many phone calls, I bought a DAA Race Master trigger block for a Para and within a few minutes with my dermal I had a good fitting race holster.