The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 23, 2017, 01:46 PM   #1
divil

Reticle gets blurry after a few minutes

Any time I pick up my rifle and look through the scope, both the target area and the reticle are crystal clear. But after shooting for a few minutes, I have trouble getting the reticle to look sharp.

I've tried setting the reticle focus for me eye. Is this a sign that I haven't got it quite in focus yet, so my eye is adjusting automatically until it gets too tired?
Old November 23, 2017, 02:31 PM   #2
80viking

Eye strain. You have to look at something far away to rest your eye muscles when that happens. Make sure that your scope is well focused to reduce eye strain.
Old November 23, 2017, 02:58 PM   #3
CarJunkieLS1

Yup above post nailed it.
Old November 23, 2017, 08:01 PM   #4
reynolds357

Its your eye getting tired, but if you get the reticle focused properly your eye probably won't get tired.
Old November 23, 2017, 10:44 PM   #5
shuvelrider

Depending on your age (I'm 54), you could be having some vision issues. I recently found out I had a broken blood vessel in my dominate eye (right), that caused pressure in the rest of the eye . It was making it difficult to focus and the clarity just was not there. Much better now with a series of shots in the eye. Just a thought.
Old November 24, 2017, 07:10 AM   #6
bacardisteve

I have found that I can shoot much longer with less eye fatigue if I shoot with both eyes open. Takes some getting use to but becomes second nature after some practice.
Old November 24, 2017, 12:53 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

"...both the target area and the reticle..." Shouldn't be. Your eye cannot focus on two things at once. If you're trying to do that, it's probably why your eyes are getting strained.
The point of a scope is to eliminate multiple focusing. And to be able to see the target better. Look through the scope at the target and put the reticle on the target without focusing on the reticle.
Old November 24, 2017, 05:39 PM   #8
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
"...both the target area and the reticle..." Shouldn't be. Your eye cannot focus on two things at once. If you're trying to do that, it's probably why your eyes are getting strained.
While it is true that the eye can not focus at more than one distance at once, scopes are designed to put the reticle and the target into focus at the same time. So the eye should be able to see them both with perfect clarity assuming the scope is adjusted properly.
Old November 24, 2017, 06:28 PM   #9
bamaranger

reticle focus

I can remember clearly coming off the 600 yd line one time after a typical poor showing, and after a string, a better shooter coaching me to "focus on the reticle, just as on a front iron sight."

Whether this was sage advice or not, my shooting improved for the rest of the day.
Old November 25, 2017, 12:36 AM   #10
tangolima

One possibility is parallax. Say a scope has fixed parallax of 100yd. The image of a target at 100yd coincides with the reticle, so everything is clear. However when the target is moved to 200yd, this is no longer true. Target will become blurry while the reticle is clear. If your try to focus on the target, the reticle may be ever so slightly out of focus.

It is correct to always focus on the reticle and keep your eye inline with the scope's axis, unless the scope has parallax adjustment.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old November 25, 2017, 01:53 PM   #11
disseminator

Quote:
Any time I pick up my rifle and look through the scope, both the target area and the reticle are crystal clear. But after shooting for a few minutes, I have trouble getting the reticle to look sharp.
After shooting for a "few minutes" your barrel is probably heating up and your lack of focus is the heat shimmer from the barrel. Just like a road in the summer.
Old November 25, 2017, 03:31 PM   #12
tobnpr

With the reticle properly focused, and the parallax correctly adjusted both will be in the same focal plane and should be sharp.

Did you focus the reticle (rear objective ring)?
Does your scope have side parallax adjustment, or a front Adjustable Objective (AO)?

Move your head side to side or up/down slightly. If the reticle moves, you have parallax.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/video/si...our_riflescope
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old November 25, 2017, 10:20 PM   #13
precision_shooter

The brand and quality of scope you are using also play a factor in eye strain/fatigue.
Coating on the lenses, quality/clarity of the lenses, etc., will play a big factor in how long it takes to the eye to become fatigued. It’s always a question of when/how long, not if.

I’ve found that shooting with both eyes open but only focusing the one eye through the scope helps tremendously with prolonging fatigue.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old November 27, 2017, 08:39 AM   #14
BeeShooter

I've had the same problem. In my case it was due to trash on the back of my shooting eye's lens. I've got artificial lenses and they get dirty. When that happens I'd compensate with muscle control and fatigue would eventually set in. I too would stop and focus on something further away thus resting my eye strain. Eventually my eye wouldn't clearly focus on anything and I had to get a laser cleaning done.
Old November 28, 2017, 10:00 AM   #15
MislMan

As part of my shooting preparation I put a couple of drops of Visine eyedrops into my shooting eye and put on a Breathe Saver nose strip. The eyedrops help flush away possible particulates from my eye pocket. The nose strip opens my nasal passages permitting more air flow/oxygen to get through. I find that while looking through the scope I tend to breathe shallower and that may lead to less oxygen to the brain and eyes. Oxygen deprivation to the eyes would cause degration to your vision.
Old November 28, 2017, 11:06 AM   #16
Picher

Agree wholeheartedly with Precision Shooter! Both eyes open works best for me, though I may close the left eye to shoot at long distances/higher powers.
Old November 28, 2017, 11:52 AM   #17
Don Fischer

Ya know, if someone simply can't shoot with both eye's open, there's no reason to worry about it. I'm 70 + and wear glass's. All my life I have shot with one eye closed, left eye dominate. Shot at a local turkey shoot years ago and some of them there complained I shoot to much and should have to shoot left handed. Fine with me, I shot left handed, right eye close. Won every thing I shot in including the handgun. These days I've got into CC handgun's, have two. Never shoot more than about 20<+/- and have learned to shoot both eyes open but then I don't aim at all, I point!

Seem's a lot is made of shooting both eye's open and there does seem to be people that can do it, I'm not one. But for shooting using sight's, one eye open is fine. If you prefer two eye's open, that's fine too. If you can't hit a watermelon at 100yds, it won't matter if it's one eye open or two. The problem there is you need to learn to shoot!
Old November 28, 2017, 06:31 PM   #18
fourbore

Quote:
I've tried setting the reticle focus for me eye. Is this a sign that I haven't got it quite in focus yet, so my eye is adjusting automatically until it gets too tired?
YES, Exactly correct. That is a very subtle adjustment. And judging by the response, not well understood. Although you are 100% correct.
Old November 28, 2017, 06:45 PM   #19
reynolds357

Mirage from heat.
Old November 28, 2017, 09:24 PM   #20
divil

Thanks for the replies everyone! I will keep trying to get the reticle focus just right and see where that gets me.
Old November 29, 2017, 01:00 AM   #21
JohnKSa
Staff

When setting the reticle focus, you shouldn't spend a long time staring into the scope.

Aim the scope at a blank background like a white wall or the sky so you're not trying to focus on the background. Then look through the scope at the reticle. Adjust it until it looks right, then let your eyes rest for awhile and repeat the procedure until it looks right when you first look into the scope with rested eyes.
Old November 29, 2017, 07:27 AM   #22
fourbore

There is one more long shot possible situation here. A lens maybe loose. I had it happen and it took a couple days to sink in. I was just not expecting that it it would move back in place and later settle out.

I dont know enough about the optics. In my case the target&everything went slightly out of focus. For a while, I thought it was me. Typical "old age" reaction. It was not that obvious and my mind was on the shooting. And the weird thing was it would seem to randomly get in or out of place for a few shots.
Old December 2, 2017, 04:13 AM   #23
Picher

When adjusting a scope focus, back out the eyepiece 'til it's blurry, then slowly turn it until the crosshairs and image are clear, but no more.