The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 31, 2018, 10:35 AM   #1
MountainMan83

Older Simmons 4-12 X 40 Japan

I just bought an older Simmons #1014 4-12 X 40, Japan made scope. It was only $60 and looks as though it was never even mounted on a rifle. The glass is crisp and clear with a nice thin duplex reticle. My question is, how dependable are these old Simmons scopes? I bought it to go on a vintage restoration of a custom Interarms 30-06. I wanted something quality and vintage to outfit this rifle with. Thanks in advance!
Old July 31, 2018, 10:46 AM   #2
NoSecondBest

Since you asked I'll offer my opinion/experience on these scopes. The truth is, they aren't a really good quality scope. If it were me, and I was looking for a "vintage" scope for a gun I'd be looking at an older Weaver or Redfield. That being said, I'm not even a fan of "vintage" scopes. All the optics made today are light years better than the stuff we had available to us forty or so years ago. If I had to put a Simmons on a rifle and expect it to last, I'd be putting it on a rimfire and hoping for the best. I'm sorry I said your baby was ugly, but if the question is put out there that's my take on it. I gave up buying cheap scopes years ago. They fail when you least expect it and leave you with a gun you can't use. Simmons was never considered a quality optic. If you do put it on the gun I wish you the best with it.
Old July 31, 2018, 11:12 AM   #3
hagar

The only Simmons I ever owned, broke before I even got it mounted on a rifle. Sent it back and will never own another.
Old July 31, 2018, 01:11 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

Simmons are low end scopes. They were serviceable, but not great quality. Kind of like Tasco kit. That's why they were used by Savage on their 'Package' rifles until the complaints got too loud.
Old July 31, 2018, 01:15 PM   #5
Don Fischer

I've never tried a Simmons scope but have heard both good and bad about them. For $60 you'll find out! I don't think the new scopes are that much better than older vintage scope either. They just have more stuff built into them that may or may not suit you. Two of my Redfields I bought new in the early 70's. They both work fine and the only thing for me the new scopes have that is really an up grade is click wind age and elevation adjustment's. Mine are pressure but I wouldn't trade either for a new scope. I also have an old Weaver K4 with click adjustment's. Finally got tired of it doing nothing and put it on a 22 mag. Really is a nice scope! Old Banner I have I've had about 30+ years now and the only thing remotely new about it is click adjustments; it simply works! If the Simmon's fails on you, I wouldn't go get another $60 used scope and certainly not a 4-12x. You said a custom Interarms in 30-06? I'd look for a newer, probably new 2 3/4x fixed or 2-7x or 3-9x. Even with their shiny appearance they are classic power's. If you could find an Older Weaver k series, I could go for that. My K4 is an old steel tube scope and would be right at home on your 30-06, it's not for sale! In the cassic days, people were not so quick to sling bullet's into the next county to kill something!

BTW, that old K4 has plain cross wire's. Pretty classical!
Old July 31, 2018, 02:25 PM   #6
MountainMan83

I had figured these were lower end scopes, I’ve heard mixed reviews as well. At the very least I can use it for a temporary scope, as the “going to college budget” doesn’t exactly allow for a Nightforce right now.
Old July 31, 2018, 06:16 PM   #7
RC20

As far as I know the Japan made scopes in general are very good. They were made by one or two makers in Japan for for a wide variety of importers (Cabella included)

Specifically the Simmons? No idea. I would try it and see. You don't have anything to loose.

I had a Cabealla Alaskan that was Japanese made, liked it a lot, killed it by dropped it. 3 x 9

I did some looking and found a couple used ones, 4 x 12 and one 4 x 20. Both are good glass and great to shoot and my eyes like em a lot.

Cablela quite carrying that Alaskan Guide line sadly.
Old July 31, 2018, 09:03 PM   #8
turkeestalker

I've had one like you just bought on a 6mm for more than 20 years with no complaints.
No where near the top end but works just fine.
Old July 31, 2018, 10:56 PM   #9
Nathan

My experience was that the JAPAN scopes were quite good. It seemed like Simmons were developing their spec with a JAPAN maker, then tossing to China low bidder for the remainder of its production life...
Old August 1, 2018, 05:00 AM   #10
Don Fischer

I said for $60 bucks I would. I wouldn't go out and buy one new though. Only problem I would have with trying one new is all the mixed review's.
Old August 1, 2018, 06:42 AM   #11
J.G. Terry

Customer Service

Customer Service: I have found the Simmons customer service to be excellent. One went down here and very quickly replaced. So it's a low end scope. Keep that in mind using these scopes. BSA also has good customer service. It's not wise to take a low end scope on the hunt of a life time.
Old August 1, 2018, 01:09 PM   #12
kenny53

60 bucks and if works you did good. Put it on and see how good of a job it does for you. I would bet it will last you a long time. Hoping the best for your outcome.
Old August 1, 2018, 01:52 PM   #13
Jim Watson

I have a Simmons Presidential, replacing one wiped out in the fire, smoke, and water of The Incident. It is quite a good scope and I have no problem on it for an informal target rifle or a varmint rifle.

But I had a lower end Simmons that was not much count.