The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 23, 2018, 09:12 PM   #26
gwpercle

I have picked up , over the years three different sets , Lyman , Midway and Pachmayr .
One thing you always need is screwdrivers...ordered a Wheeler Professional 43 piece set from Amazon for $29.99 and was extremely happy with it . Nice bits , good selection and the handle is comfortable. They make a larger set for $60-$70 , if you want the whole enchilada . But for my needs the 43 piece set filled the bill.
Gary
Old July 24, 2018, 09:00 AM   #27
SGW Gunsmith

I've been working on Browning Auto 5 shotguns and the Remington and Savage off-springs of that version for eons.
The Magna-tip bits, as sold through Brownells, have every slot & blade width to cover every screw on the Auto 5 shotguns, including the tiny lock screws on the larger screw heads, and the slim slots involved.
Stubborn screws can be an issue involving removal, especially on older guns that have been neglected of maintenance.

Something that will work most of the time for me is to insert the correct fitting driver blade and then smack the back end of the driver handle with a ball-peen hammer. That idea involves this action will quite often "shock" the screw loose. But, there's no need to smack the handle like you're driving a nail into place. Another method is to squirt some Kroil in and around the screw head before the "shock" treatment. Kroil is supposed to be able to leech into 2-millionths of an inch gaps and help with screw removal. Don't know who, or how they measured that?
Old August 11, 2018, 04:38 AM   #28
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I bought a set of Grace "gunsmith" screwdrivers, and I've never used them. The tips aren't hollow ground. VERY disappointing. I should have returned them, but it's far too late now.

Aside from the fact that the tips aren't hollow ground, I haven't yet found a screw on any gun that they fit.
Old August 11, 2018, 11:16 PM   #29
SGW Gunsmith

This is the very BEST advice! Stick with the Brownell's mag-na-tip bits and you will NEVER go wrong. I've been using these bits since 1970 and have advocated their use in "American Gunsmith Journal" articles for many years now. The handles ain't no more slippery than any other handle out there, and I use three of what they sell, so discount any verbiage otherwise!

Dennis A. Wood
Sarona Gun Works LLC