The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 29, 2011, 08:39 AM   #1
Spydr1299

223 case gauge

Was wondering the thought about a good 223 case gauge. Was looking at the dillon but not real sure if it will accommodate for a bolt action. Would this be a good choice or is there a better option? Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Old September 29, 2011, 08:42 AM   #2
Sport45

I use a Lyman gage for checking everything that goes in my AR's.
Old September 29, 2011, 09:30 AM   #3
jepp2

Quote:
Was looking at the dillon but not real sure if it will accommodate for a bolt action.
Not sure why you don't think it would accommodate a bolt action? I have used Wilson, Lyman and Dillon and all seem to work fine for their intended purpose.

You didn't state what you intend to use it for. If you plan to use it to adjust the shoulder bump on your FL sizing die, I find the Hornady Lock-N-Load to be a little easier to use. Both will work. If you use brass fired in an AR, small burrs on the head of case may stop the case from dropping fully into the gauge. But I have case gauges for everything I load (in addition to the Hornady gauge) and find both useful.
Old September 29, 2011, 02:29 PM   #4
243winxb

Cartridge Gage-Bolt Action-Crush Fit

A cartridge gage will give you a rough idea if your ammo will fit the rifle chamber, but not exact measurements like a RCBS precision mic that can measure to .001" for bumping the shoulder back on FL sizing. The L E Wilson rifle gage only checks cartridge headspace, head to datum line. For a bolt action, just back you FL die off the shell holder by .010" using a feeler gage. Then look for a crush fit when closing the bolt. If the bolt will not close, move the FL die down another .002" or more till it chambers.
Old September 29, 2011, 03:15 PM   #5
Jim243

Quote:
For a bolt action, just back you FL die off the shell holder by .010" using a feeler gage. Then look for a crush fit when closing the bolt. If the bolt will not close, move the FL die down another .002" or more till it chambers.
True, but it won't show if there is excessive headspace on the case.

Old September 29, 2011, 08:22 PM   #6
F. Guffey

For those with the tools and the skill to use them the L.E. Wilson Case gage is a precision tool capable of measuring the length of the case from the head of the case to the shoulder of the case in thousands. The limits of a reloader restricts the use of a Wilson case gage to a ‘drop-in’ gage.

Nomenclature, Wilson describes the straight edge as ‘the steel rule’, the steel rule is the small ruler stuck in the pocket of a machinist, I have straight edges, one is a set-up table, the other is anything with a straight edge and can be checked on a set-up table with the companion tool to the press the feeler gage.
With the Wilson case gage, a straight edge and feeler gage the length of the case can be measured from the ‘DATUM’ of the gage in thousands, the gage can also be used with a height gage, depth gage and the dial caliper.

The Wilson case gage has limits, the user.

F. Guffey