The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 23, 2001, 01:42 PM   #1
Point Blank

Wallered Pockets??

Finally got the chance to use my Lee auto prime (handheld) last week. After getting home from the range yesterday i decided to deprime my shells.For some reason they only took a very light tap for them to come out. They were seated properly and all below the rim both before and after shooting.They never came out this easy using a mallet and the rod method (Lee Loadall kit).The brass has been used 4 times now,has the brass gave up the ghost,or am i doing something wrong seating the primers?? When seating using the primer tool i squeeze the handle fully closed and they all "seem" fully seated below the rim. Thanks for any replies...BTW...these are 30-06 shells loaded below max. with no excessive pressure signs to primer or brass.
Old August 23, 2001, 02:01 PM   #2
kurt IA.

If the brass is only 4 reloads, and not hot loads, it should be a long way from shot. I have worn out hafe a doezen lee primering tools and never had any trouble. Do you clean the primer pockets? This could lead to loseing, as could a change in primers, or it could be that the force of your deprimer is so much greater that it just feels lose. If the force to seat the primer feels good to you, and there not backing out on fireing, I would not wory. I always prime till I feel the primer just touch bottom of the pocket you don,t want to cursh it.
Old August 23, 2001, 06:57 PM   #3
Point Blank

Yes, i "sorta" clean my brass.I take a small screwdriver and gently scrape the pocket then boil the brass in some dishwashing detergent,then Q-tip the pockets again for any residue.
Old August 23, 2001, 07:49 PM   #4
Peter M. Eick

Maybe a soft lot of brass????

Have you tried a different manufacturer of brass?

Have you cross checked your load with another manual?

Have you calibrated your reloading scale??

For starters.
Old August 23, 2001, 09:51 PM   #5
kurt IA.

Point Blank, I would use a pocket clearner, like one of the wire brush ones or a carbied uni former type to clean. The screwdriver could be shaveing the sides. I don't think I would boil them. To aneal brass you heat it, in a dark place, till it just turns red then quinch, wile keeping the head cool, wile I don't think 212deg will soften them, it just mite. And as Peter said could just be soft brass.
Old August 23, 2001, 10:14 PM   #6
Point Blank

I am not to the point where i seperate my brass yet so they are a mixed bag of good 30-06 brass. My scale is dead on,i calibrate it with items of known weight each time i reload. Guess i will stop boiling it to clean it.Funny thing is this problem started after using the auto prime.Using Lee's depriming tool and a mallet these that were primed with the "auto prime" take a couple of very light taps when before it took several stiff taps before they came out. Last thing,what little accuracy i was getting went to the dogs this last trip to the range.I am going to take my caliper to every square inch of that shot brass before i reload it again(even the pocket).Thanks for the advice though!!! I will start looking for a "pocket tool" also.
Old August 23, 2001, 10:15 PM   #7
Big Bunny

PB...I would go for harder/different brand - not undersized primers- being part of the problem.

But if you are now using a proper press after the LEE LOADER...welcome to canny mechanical leverage not sheer brute mass!
It makes a hell of difference!
But I still love my LEE LOADERS for emergencies and 'insurance' loading....and my LEE AUTO PRIME - of course!

If not hot- loaded(are you sure ?-how are you sure?) primer pocket cleaning damage also can contribute to cases wearing out.

Primers are best "bottomed" to 'arm' them, anything less is unreliable IMHO. Marking and crushing is bad, they should look the same on top loaded as they were in the packet/tray.

BB
Old August 24, 2001, 08:15 AM   #8
kurt IA.

After re reading your first post, you say you squeze the handle close. I think you may be crushing the primer. Try to seat till you feel the primer bottom out, and no more. Give it a try, and let us know what you find.