The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 29, 2007, 08:53 AM   #1
Jart

n00b turret questions

I was looking to expand the number of chamberings I reload to include .357 and .41 mag. Currently I have a mini-progressive for .45 Colt that I'd rather not fiddle with changing toolheads on.

Lurking about this forum got me looking at the Lee 4-holer. Questions:

It looks like changing chamberings on the thing would be considerably easier than on the typical progressive - correct?

In searching around, I stumbled across a Redding T-7. At this point my search skills melted down and I wasn't able to discover why seven stations would be desirable. What do the extra three do / hold?

Am I correct in assuming that a turret bridges the gap between a progressive and single stage in both ease of changing chambering and (properly accessorized) precision?
Old May 29, 2007, 09:09 AM   #2
tulsamal

I've been using a Lee Turret press since about 1986. Three holes back then, of course. I converted my press to a four hole a year or two ago.

Different people use them different ways. I use mine "like" a single stage. By that, I mean I generally do one operation at a time on 50 pieces of brass. I don't just put one piece of brass in and rotate the turret around until I'm done. Two reasons, I guess. One, I hand prime. So the brass has to be removed after sizing anyway. Two, I like to do a visual inspection for powder level. IMO, I prefer to have 50 pieces of brass all lined up and charged at one time so that I can then examine the whole lot at once. If one is empty or double charged, I'll see it.

So the advantage of the turret to me is that I can put my dies in place on a turret, adjust them, lock them down, and then never remove them again. I need to load 9mm or .45 ACP? I just pull out the four hole turret with all four dies in place and ready to go. Switch over to .350 Remington Magnum in a couple seconds if I need some deer loads.

So I buy a new four hole turret for each handgun caliber I load for. My rifle die sets are all two dies so I need one new turret for each two calibers. So one turret has 7.5 French on one side and .350 Remington Magnum on the other. The turrets with the dies mounted on them fit back in the round Lee red plastic containers. So I write the caliber on the top (or the two calibers) and that is the way they are stored.

I still own a Dillon progressive for high volume loading if we are talking about something like IDPA but the Lee gets used more. Just so much easier to whip out fifty rounds without any setup or adjustment.

Gregg
Old May 29, 2007, 10:38 AM   #3
CrustyFN

Quote:
It looks like changing chamberings on the thing would be considerably easier than on the typical progressive - correct?
Yes. If you buy a turret for each set of dies you can change calibers in under one minute, two minutes if you have to change primer sizes. You can buy a spare turret and set of Lee dies for around $35.
Quote:
Am I correct in assuming that a turret bridges the gap between a progressive and single stage in both ease of changing chambering and (properly accessorized) precision?
I would say a turret bridges the gap as far as speed. They will all make quality precision ammo. With a single stage you can make around 50 rounds per hour. With a turret around 200 per hour. With a progressive around 400+ per hour. I own the Lee classic turret. If you decide to buy a turret press, that is the one to buy. The classic has a primer disposal system through the ram into a clear plastic tube so the press and everything around it stays clean. The tube will hold around 2,000 small primers before you have to empty it or you can leave the cap off and run the tube into a bucket. The safety prime is one of the best priming systems you can get. You can buy the classic turret in a kit for around $170 including the upgrades. Check out Kempfgunshop.com to see the kit. I shoot a lot of IDPA, GSSF and center fire rifle comp and the classic will keep up with my ammo needs easy.
Rusty
Old May 29, 2007, 09:14 PM   #4
Rod B

I have been using the Lee Classic Turret press for about six months.

I am very pleased with the quality & performance of this press.
Old May 29, 2007, 11:18 PM   #5
amamnn

The Lee classic is the only turret press I know of that is not pinned to a center shaft. Those umbrella type turrets flex during loading, giving inconsistent results. The lee has a tiny bit of slop in the system too, but due to the design it is always the same slop, so you get consistent loads, or as consistent as any press outside a single stage will give.
Old May 29, 2007, 11:49 PM   #6
Luciano

I have a Redding T-7.Have had the Lyman turret and didn't like it much,though it did the job.
My .02...what are your expectations?Also how much of a perfectionist are you?While all will load ammo, I think the T-7 is as high as you can go with a turret style.The slop is virtualy innexistant when loading pistol rounds and barely noticeable when full resizing rifle cases.I like the large opening,the smooth,play free ram and the 7 stations.I keep 2 pistol die sets mounted at a time plus the Lyman powder through expander charging die with a Lyman p measure on top.It's a great set up for load development and loading a lot of ammo too.
I also reload 25-06 Rem on it.And I formed 30-06 cases on it.That took some leverage,personaly I wouldn't do that with an aluminium turret head,I did however give up the forming,as there was a bit too much work with the case prep plus there is a lot of 25-06 brass.
Old May 30, 2007, 01:28 AM   #7
Jart

Quote:
...what are your expectations?
I was looking to add something that would allow easy loading of additional handgun chamberings with minimal fuss. My current metallic press is an SDB that I got mostly because it came already setup. I didn't have much interest in changing out the toolhead.

The objective is more chamberings with a minimum of trauma. Fewer rounds per hour is OK. Better rounds would be nice but wasn't in the plan.

The Lee 4-holer with auto index appeared to be in my comfort zone as it resembled an inverted SDB, sorta. I rather like the indexing helping me avoid nerfs and double charges.

I gather the T-7 is more akin to seven rather beefy single stage presses in a managable footprint? There'd be a charm to that as well.