The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 15, 2002, 01:25 AM   #1
makarov

S&W Shotguns?

Was in the gunshop today... Looking for a cheap shotgun (I don't own one yet). What I really want is a nice Wingmaster, but there was this S&W Pump shotgun - it said it would take 3" shells, not a big deal to me. Had a 28" or so barrel with modified choke. Safety was on the top of the receiver. It had a plastic trigger guard. I don't remember what the model number was. Are these guns any good? Are parts hard to find? The reason I ask is that it was CHEAP. And I love cheap guns if they work. It was only $75 and was in OK condition. There is also an Express 870 beater for $175, but $100 difference could buy me another toy...

I know Dave McC will say save up for the 870 and he is probably right, but anybody have any experience with S&W shotguns? When did they quit making them?

- Mak
Old February 15, 2002, 01:41 AM   #2
C.R.Sam

Probably made by Howa. Gunpartscorp has quite a few parts for the pumps. Mossberg bought the spares from Smith in 84 and also bought from Howa.

I haven't the foggiest idea of the quality.

Sam
Old February 15, 2002, 06:01 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Md DOC tried the S&W 3000(I think) back in the late 70s. It failed to hold up under the typical abuse and neglect common to institutional weapons.

I've seen a few others, better taken care of, that the owners liked, but none were high volume shooters.

Sorry to be so predictable but IMO, save up for the 870. Buying second rate stuff is a mistake.
Old February 15, 2002, 11:00 AM   #4
Jamis

The S&W was a pile of crap in my opinion. They were I belive made by Howa. I do know they had a reputation for breaking.