The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 11, 2002, 11:56 PM   #1
Thairlar

Shot Trap for the First Time

Yesterday I shot my brand new Beretta 391 Sporting, 12 Gauge, 28" barrel, for the first time. It was also my first time shooting trap. I had a great time, shot four rounds, my best was a fourteen. I may try skeet next. I've shot skeet before, but with a borrowed gun. I also can't wait for better weather to maybe try some 5-stand or a full sporting clays course. Something tells me I'm addicted.

Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we can not be trusted with arms for our own defense? Where is the difference in having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?

-Patrick Henry
Old February 12, 2002, 01:18 AM   #2
C.R.Sam

Hooked....he he he.

Sam
Old February 12, 2002, 06:19 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Congrats, you've entered the fascinating world of clay bustin'. Enjoy....

FYI, the ATA says the average first round is 13/25 clays.IOW, ya did OK.

Screw in your most open tube for Skeet, same or the next tighter one for SC. Have fun, and when a year or so from now when most everything you shoot at dies or busts, marvel at your progress.

Nobody gets proficient at shotgunning w/o burning up lots of shells. The clay games are the best approach these days, since shooting tons of real birds is frowned upon by the DNR.

And for those who doubt that trap has any real world value,try acquiring a FAST sight pic on a 4 inch disc moving at 35 MPH, busting same, then doing it again as in trap doubles, skeet doubles or the ubiquitous doubles in US style SC. Note the width of your brain, or your heart, is about 4".

Note also that my trap 870 and "Serious" 870s weigh and handle similarily, even tho the TB is about a foot longer.

Nuff said....
Old February 16, 2002, 01:27 AM   #4
kehrby

You have just entered one of the most enjoyable hobbies there is. My kids and I do a little backyard clay shooting almost every weekend. Sometimes it turns into a neighborhood shoot. They hear us start and then come on over too. I think I have addicted several others!