The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 21, 2012, 10:13 AM   #26
jproaster

Well. It's going to become the most expensive hobby I've ever had- I'm looking for property out of the city limits so I can reload, walk out the back door, shoot and start over.
Old November 21, 2012, 02:03 PM   #27
praetorian97

I tailor my rounds to put holes in paper and made steel go plink....
Old November 22, 2012, 12:27 PM   #28
RC20

I did start it mostly because you could get more accurate loads that way years back.

It does save money if you don't count the initial invested! I did that before I realized it so its not costing me anything, right?

But then if you want to shoot match loads in a 1903 where do you find it? Not locally (or at least here).

I failed to get a good load for my 7mm back in the day and realized I was only doing it because I could (and then found I was out when I thought I had plenty and went to the store and found some that were just as good).

But I do like it, its all paid for (I have picked up a few items since I got back into it) and I can still tweak the loads for what I want rather than off the shelf.

I picked up a 30-06 that has a very deep throat and it needs special loads to shoot well. Cool, I can do that.

My 9mm, damned if the factory Golden Sabers aren't more accurate than anything I have done yet though I am still playing with it. But its less expensive (I scrounge all my brass and that's oddly satisfying to!)
Old November 22, 2012, 01:03 PM   #29
mikld

I think that anyone who reloads to save money or assemble a bunch of ammo to shoot more, is missing a lot. Besides all the reasons mentioned above (it's fun, therapy, custom loading for my parrticular gun), I can do it any day, rain or shine; much more than I can shoot. I live in an area where shooting is done 10 miles up hill and the last 3 miles is dirt road (logging roads). It rains a lot here and I don't own a 4 wheel drive, so I wait a day or two after it rains to go shoot. Anyway, liking handloading/load development/experimentation, I often have more handloads than I can shoot!
Old November 22, 2012, 02:21 PM   #30
Vance

I have the same situation here on the Oregon coast. It has rained a lot in the last couple of weeks. I would be surprised if the shooting spots I like to go to isn't under standing water. They keep saying they are building a shooting range in Beaver Hill where our land fill is. They've got it fenced off, plans drawn up and the NRA has given a grant to help fund it. Hopefully soon.

I am busy now turning lead ingots into bullets.
Old November 23, 2012, 11:17 AM   #31
dahermit

Quote:
...I find that my reloads are far more accurate through my rifles than factory loads...
Egg-zactly! That is the reason I hand load for all my rifles. Handguns on the other hand, I cast my own and shoot so much that less cost is the main reason, and that is why I started hand loading in about 1963 or so.
Old November 23, 2012, 12:43 PM   #32
Axelwik

Aside from saving money I really like the whole process; from casting, custom sizing, and lubing my own projectiles to assembling the cartridges for each of my guns.

For a fraction of the cost of premium factory ammo (especially for less-common or larger calibers) I can make stuff that's just as, or more accurate, and it perfectly fits my needs.

It's also a part of the hobby that can be done no matter the weather.
Old November 23, 2012, 02:04 PM   #33
ROGER4314

I agree with the OP completely! I keep 200 rounds of ammo for each caliber that I shoot. When I hit the range, I come home and reload the "stash" back up to 200 rounds. It keeps me from storing thousands of rounds of ammo at home. I just load what I need. My twin Dillon RL550's are easy to convert so I just load small batches.

Yesterday, I ordered a MEC 600jr 12 gauge reloader for my Christmas present. Rotometals had a sale on reclaimed shot so I snagged 50 pounds of that, too. I started out reloading shot shells and enjoy it tremendously! I sold my gear but I'm getting back into it, now.

I did the same with bullet casting. I love doing it so I made some deals and replaced all of my casting molds, melters, dies, top punches and sizer/lubricators. I got hooked up with a great guy who sells reclaimed bullet lead and I'm back in the saddle again!

I do those things because I like them. No other reason is necessary.

Flash
Old November 23, 2012, 02:25 PM   #34
CountryUgly

I've come to enjoy making the bullets more than I do actually shooting them Each batch is a carefully made custom load and the hobby leaves so much room to add my own personal flavor (reducded recoil rifle, uber hot handgun, DN accurate anything, or just plinking fun) I can't get enough of it Cost savings was my original intent but I spent years literally reading up on the subject and watching videos because I feared the dreaded KB but after the first pull of the one armed bandit and that first round not destroying my rifle and taking my head clean off I was hooked. My round loaded to round shot ratio is waaaay off now. Instead of saving money or shooting more for the same money it's costing me Do I have a Problem????
Old November 23, 2012, 03:55 PM   #35
TrueTexan

I started reloading to save money and be able to shoot more. I may have saved money I do shoot more. I keep telling my wife how much I save, but please nobody tell her any different.
Old November 23, 2012, 05:52 PM   #36
m&p45acp10+1

I learned early on that I still wind up broke. Just get shoot a whole lot more ammo is all. One round cost me more to reload for than to buy factory loads. Though I load for Mrs. M&P's Mosin-Naggant 91/30. She can shoot Trail Boss loads out of it, then harp on me to get more brass due to the fact that she is out of ammo, and the sun is still up.

Wait till you start casting lead bullets. Then you have tons of ammo. Your saving go to gas, range fees, then you are buying more guns, more supplies, and the list is endless.
Old November 24, 2012, 10:49 AM   #37
Colorado308shooter

I like reloading because I can play around with different bullets and powders to see what works best. That's alot of fun....experimentation.

I also don't really save money, because I shoot twice as much ammo on the same budget.

My .308 rounds with Nosler 168 gr HPBT's run about $9/20. Factory match ammo runs about $25/20 and mine will shoot as good or better. I have fire formed brass.
Old November 25, 2012, 04:29 PM   #38
Crashbox

Save money? HAHAHAHAHA!

That is one thing I practically do NOT do because I shoot a LOT more now!!!!
Old November 29, 2012, 04:04 AM   #39
xzqzq

Love Reloading

Once I retired, I needed something to occupy myself. Since I have been an avid shooter for 50 yrs, reloading and casting seemed a good fit. Been at it @ 3 yrs. Now I look at shooting as a chance to test my reloads. Even using single-stage presses, I have generated enough reloads to muse about having a dedicated trailer for them that I can hitch to the pickup for trips to the range, instead of loading and unloading them every time. And always forgetting something.
Old December 1, 2012, 11:04 AM   #40
biganimal

I started reloading as a kid because my Dad wouldn't buy factory ammo for me to just blast away. Now I still reload because I want good ammo cheap. I cast or swage bullets for almost every caliber that I reload , and I load for 17 calibers.

I buy primers & powder in bulk and try to buy as a co-op with local reloaders to minimize the Haz-Maz and shipping charges.

I cannot buy ammo anywhere for less than my reloads cost. The exception to this rule is maybe the 22 caliber family of cartridges as I don't cast or swage them yet. But I do shop very careful for cheap bullets.

Here is a few examples.

9mm $20.86 per 500 rds

45/70 $40.29 per 500 rds

7.62x54R $ 78.50 per 500 and I don't suffer from sticky bolt syndrome

44Mag $41.15 per 500 rds

I figure that after my initial investment for tools I broke even somewhere around 1967.

If I purchase a new set of dies they are usually paid for after loading 2-5 boxes depending on caliber and die costs.

If you reload and can't save money then you are doing it wrong!
Old December 1, 2012, 12:30 PM   #41
elkslayer4x5

Like most of you readers, I reload for several reasons, the prefect round for all of my firearms, ( unatainable over the counter ), the hobby factor, time spent working up a load for a paticular rifle and game situation, the satisfaction of tailoring a cartridge to shoot to the rifle's potential, and the feeling of acomplishment when I sit back and look at the stockpile of ammo that I have for every firearm in the safe, knowing that all of my ammo is of premiun quality, and keeping that in mind, the money I've saved over buying the same amout of over the counter premium ammo costs. Or the fact that I can produce a load unavaible over the counter. yep, the OP has it right, I like it!
Old December 1, 2012, 02:45 PM   #42
brigond

Hey biganimal, where do u by 9mm for around $20 per 500? Or is that the cost after you cast your own.
Old December 1, 2012, 03:47 PM   #43
biganimal

Brigond
I cast my own bullets for the 9mm, so I only have to purchase powder and primers. I'm a plumber so lead is free as are wheel weights from a friend. Last week at a flea market I bought a box of rifle brass for $20 and in the bottom was 450 magtech Bullets for the 9mm so again they were free!
Old December 1, 2012, 04:52 PM   #44
droptrd

Its possible to save money by reloading?

Reload my own ammo I do.

Save money I dont
Old December 1, 2012, 08:43 PM   #45
rottieman33

I have saved tons of money from reloading. Have gone threw 2 girl friends because of reloading.
Old December 1, 2012, 09:11 PM   #46
biganimal

my wife complained about my reloading when we first got married until she bought a box of ammo for my birthday. Back then a box of 264Win Mag cost about $18 and I could reload 20 rds for around $1.75. Didn't take long for her to accept my hobby as a real savings.
Old December 1, 2012, 10:55 PM   #47
brigond

Ahhh! The old lead pans . Got it.
Old December 2, 2012, 09:24 AM   #48
yetavon

I started reloading in 96 ONLY 9mm Makarov...the 9x18 was almost impossible to find around here and $$$ when you did. Still have my original reciept in my Lee box...$113 for the Anniversary set,dies and 500 Cast rounds. Im now at the end of my 5000 rounds without ever changing anything and feel like I missed out on the best part of the hobby. Picked up a P89 last year and after buying a few boxes of ammo (recovered and saved almost 400 rounds of brass) I decided to reload....OH S$$$ I figured out what I have been missing out on. I have invested many hours researching to so far load 8, 9x19 and considering molds for both 9s..
I see a 12 step program in my future....
as for the gun range...step out the back door for pistol, front door for skeet, and next door to my sons for rifle