The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 25, 2012, 03:50 PM   #1
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Mossberg 590 feed issues

I wanted a dedicated combat shotgun for pest duty (4 and 2 legged alike) and picked up a used 590 with an aftermarket pistol grip stock (which will be replaced by a standard stock for ergonomics reasons [COUGH*tang-safety8COUGH]). Knowing the shortcomings of the stock parts, namely the magazine spring, I ordered a Wolff spring. While waiting for the spring I practiced a bit with some 2-3/4" 00 buck that would probably be the heaviest load I would put through the thing. With the stock spring the last two rounds would feed slowly (no surprise) and would actually drop to the ground rather than be caught by the feed elevator.

Fast forward to the replacement spring installed and having shot a few time, I start getting slow last round feed and even had a last round hit the dirt.

Faulty spring? Bad elevator? I'm pretty certain my speedy powers of speedy pumping action aren't causing me to short-stroke as the spent hull is being flung from the open action. What say the gurus of TFL?
Old January 26, 2012, 04:52 AM   #2
KnightofCydonia

Make sure the mag tube is screwed in tight all the way.
Old January 26, 2012, 04:24 PM   #3
SteelChickenShooter

I had a similar or perhaps the same situation with a couple of mine. The shells wouldn't cycle from the mag tube into the action. Unload the gun and push in the magazine follower with a dowel rod. Remove the rod and the follower would get stuck in the mag tube. Would not push the shells out so a shell would flop around and fall out. They were returned to Mossberg and my dealer gave me replacements- so I never did know what the exact fix was.
Imagine buying a HD shotgun, load it up. And then when needed- the shells won't feed.