The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 5, 2010, 08:47 AM   #1
NCMountain

Question about primer/powder storage???

Do you guys store them both in the same area or separate? I have never read anything to indicate if it is okay or not to store them together or in the same area.
Old January 5, 2010, 08:49 AM   #2
Ksmoker

p&p

They all lay in the same area in my basement, just keep them dry & cool as far as I know.
Old January 5, 2010, 09:12 AM   #3
Uncle Buck

I keep my primers in a sealed box and my powder on the shelf. Both are in the same room, but different locations in that room.

I really have no reason to do so, just years in the military in which I saw they would store fuzes in a different bunker than the actual bombs.
Old January 5, 2010, 12:15 PM   #4
snuffy

Nope! Primers are constantly plotting to blow up spontaneously, but more so when stored next to powder!

Of course I was kidding! But to hear some people, you'd think they do just that.

I store powder and primers where ever I have room for them, mostly on a shelf, out in the open. If it happens they are close together, so what?

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old January 5, 2010, 01:43 PM   #5
NCMountain

Thanks for the feedback. I do have my primers right beside the powder. In a wooden box lined with Spanish cedar.

Keeps moisture away and just looks nice.
Old January 5, 2010, 09:11 PM   #6
Toolman

I keep my primers & powder in the same locked enclosure, but they are separated by 1" of drywall. Loaded ammo (except for H.D.) is kept in a separate enclosure, but readily available.
Old January 5, 2010, 09:20 PM   #7
gun44

I've stored my primers

about 10 feet from my powder for years, and never a mishap! Keep them cool and dry, and you probably wont have any problems.
Old January 5, 2010, 09:36 PM   #8
PCJim

Mine have always been stored together.

Dropping a pack, box or case of primers that remain in the factory packaging will not set them off. About the only thing that will set them off, other than a direct strike, is a fire. Same for powder. In either case, if there's a fire it won't matter whether there's powder with your primers or not. It's going to be one hot fire.
Old January 5, 2010, 09:36 PM   #9
drail

Keep them in a container that will vent the pressure in case of a fire. A GI steel can filled with primers can make a very impressive bomb if heated enough.
Old January 5, 2010, 10:30 PM   #10
Crashbox

I currently keep my primers in a cardboard box on a far corner of my reloading bench and the powder inside an old dead refrigerator (I keep my unprimed brass in there too) about ten feet away.

I will probably build something more substantial, i.e., fire-resistant, for the primers in the future.
Old January 6, 2010, 01:47 AM   #11
Jim243

Personal preference, Primers in a divided storage bin over my reloading bench by type, powder on top shelf of closet divided by Mfg and number (about 15 feet apart).

Jim
Old January 6, 2010, 04:32 AM   #12
Sidewinder72

I store mine together and have had no problems. But never put socks and underwear in the same drawer.
Old January 6, 2010, 07:46 AM   #13
spacecoast

My powder and open boxes of primers are stored together in a cardboard box under my desk. Unopened primers (~8,000 or so) are stored in another box right next to it.
Old January 7, 2010, 12:52 PM   #14
shafter

Go for it. You aren't afraid of assembled cartridges are you?
Old January 7, 2010, 05:06 PM   #15
James R. Burke

I always wondered about that myself, and I got the answer.
Old January 7, 2010, 05:15 PM   #16
snuffy

Quote:
Go for it. You aren't afraid of assembled cartridges are you?
That really drags it down to basics don't it?!

Thanks for the clear thinking, I'll use that the NEXT time this question comes up! And it will, always does!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old January 7, 2010, 05:24 PM   #17
zxcvbob

In a big cardboard box behind the woodstove, next to the bucket of firecrackers (nobody would think to look for them there)

Just kidding!!

Most of the powder is in a double-wall cardboard box out in the garage, except for a few pounds in the house near the reloading bench. Most of the powder is out in the garage in a heavy wooden cartridge box -- except for a few hundred in the house near the reloading bench.

Last edited by zxcvbob; January 7, 2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old January 7, 2010, 07:46 PM   #18
Slamfire

I don't think having primers and powder in the same room is a problem, but I learned something about ammunition storage from an insensitive munitions expert.

It is bad practice to mix explosives inside bunkers. This includes ammunition. It is also bad practice to store other chemicals, metals, with explosives.

Apparently the stuff outgasses and the combination of chemicals in the air have created conditions that caused bunkers to go

Kaboom!