The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 20, 2007, 08:50 PM   #1
rickh

Swag or Cut

Just wonder what everyone does when dealing with mil. crimped primer pockets.
Do you cut or swag?
Rick H...
Old February 20, 2007, 09:03 PM   #2
cobra81

Cut

I've been reaming Lake City brass for my Garand with a Sinclair primer pocket reamer attachment for my L.E. Wilson lathe. Seems to work fine.
Old February 20, 2007, 11:21 PM   #3
rwilson452

The word is ream. Ok I guess we can use cut. I cut I use an rcbs tool in my cordless drill.
Old February 20, 2007, 11:37 PM   #4
Don H

Swage.
Old February 21, 2007, 05:22 AM   #5
mc223

I'm not saying that it does, but there is a potential for a small ring of brass to be pushed to the bottom of the pocket by a swager. which could cause primer seating depth to be too high.
I cut.
Old February 21, 2007, 06:36 AM   #6
mxwelch

I cut it out with an endmill at work.
Old February 21, 2007, 07:47 AM   #7
JohnLizCas

Swaging mil ammo

Unsrew the pocket reamer from its handle and mount it in my drill press. Tjhings move quickly after that. John
Old February 21, 2007, 08:21 AM   #8
rwilson452

It seems RCBS no longer makes the pocket reamer I use. Hornaday makes one. Like other here just chuck it up in a drill motor and have at it.
Old February 21, 2007, 11:39 AM   #9
JoeHatley

Cut. I use the Hornady tool head in my RCBS Trim Mate.

Joe
Old February 22, 2007, 11:13 AM   #10
MADISON

Swag or Cut?

When dealing with Military Brass I have sever hand cutters and an RCBS Primer Pocket Swedge. If I have less than a dozen I use the hand cutter. More that a dozen I set up the Swedge.
Old February 22, 2007, 12:32 PM   #11
Windwalker

Hand ream while watching TV, I tend to get carried away if I use power tools. Large quanities? Swedge and maybe touchup with a reamer on the first reload if they still feel tight.

WW
My two bits worth and I still have change in my pockets.
Old February 22, 2007, 02:16 PM   #12
swmike

I swaged a bunch (about 500 or so) using an RCBS Swaging tool. Too much work. Now use a Lyman primer pocket reamer in a cordless drill. Faster and easier. Recently completed 1,000 round run. Sat and watched TV while reaming the primer pockets.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old February 22, 2007, 07:40 PM   #13
amamnn

Actually, in this case, swaging is not the process being discussed. Swaging, as in some other cases, terms are becoming blurred and information being lost or misunderstood because of bad or lazy terminology. Reaming is correct, cutting is at least understandable, but swaging is not what is going on when you trim brass. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swage If you think I am being anal about the language, think about the term "runout" and what it has become today, at least in our application.
Originally, runout was a term used to define the distance a bullet was "run out" of the case when seating. Somehow, through acceptance of inappropriate use of the term, runout came to define the degree to which a neck was off axis in relation to the case body. Then it was applied to the bullet axis. The term has become so misused that it has really lost all meaning. We are now left with no easy way of describing the original runout except by the term seating depth which a completely backward way of looking at the subject. The various ways of getting your load axially incorrect, now come under one term--"runout" --and can easily cause a person to think he has adressed all "runout" problems in one operation, when in fact he has not. I saw in one supposed expert's article on the subject, "runout" used variously to describe the above axial variations, along with the "seating depth", and also the case/chamber relation. A neophyte handloader would certainly be confused by this idiocy. In future, let's all try to call a spade a spade and less confusion will hopefully result.

BTW, the Lee chamfer tool takes the crimps out of retired military brass quite well, and inexpensively. What a way to spend a few happy hours--- reaming crimps while watching reruns of Green Acres on TV Land!!!!
Old February 22, 2007, 08:50 PM   #14
rickh

Seems pretty split.
I gave up on the Dillon swag tool for large aty. I find it faster to cut/ream what ever you want to call it.
I also found that the Dillon does not always do the best job and I have noticed when seating new primers, there is a lip that pops up.
I use the RCBS trim mate 5 station unit to cut/ream what ever you want to call it.
Rick H...
Old February 23, 2007, 03:41 PM   #15
cheygriz

I use the Dillon Swag-o-matic tool. It's easy to swage seversl thousand pockets in an evening.

I once did 5,000 9MM MilSurps in one afternoon/evening.

And the results are far better than either my Lyman pocket reamer or my RCBS press mounted pocket swager.

Think BLUE!
Old February 23, 2007, 04:30 PM   #16
Edward429451

I have been using a lyman deburring tool to cut them since I realized it would work for that. Mostly just for very small batches though. If I have a large quantity to do I set up the RCBS press mount kit. That RCBS kit works ok but can be a pita to uh, get a feel for. I bent two rods learning it.

I wondered about that Dillon unit for quite a while now. You speaka tall about it! 1000's in an evening, wow. That sold me.
Old February 23, 2007, 09:18 PM   #17
Tim R

I reload '06, 308, 223 and 45ACP and use mostly GI brass for these.

I like to feel the primer "seat" in the primer pocket. I've reamed, cut and swaged. I found I like the "feel" of a swaged primer pocket the best. I have the RCBS swagger and have the bent rods to go with it. I should call RCBS once again and get new ones which they send at no cost. I bent the rods when a buddy was over and I was trying to swage some old hard WW 223 brass. Finally we just pitched the WW brass as there was just no way to get a good swage on them.

I got the Dillon and believe if you are going to swage a bunch of brass, this is the only way to go.