The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 8, 2000, 04:18 PM   #1
Hueco

Can anyone recommend a good set of calipers and where I can get them? I read today in my Speer manual that in order to effectively measure web diameter, they must be accurate to 0.0001". What do most people use?

Hueco
Old May 8, 2000, 09:54 PM   #2
bergie

I use a dial caliper I ordered from Midway. Accurate to .001 and a lifetime guarantee. Actually it is marked in .001 increments, but you could estimate a little bit closer by position of the pointer in between the marks. They do have an electronic caliper that is good to .0005, but to get down to .0001 I think you would have to go to a micrometer. I am pretty new to the reloading game, so I keep everything pretty mild, and am not to concerned about measuring things down to a ten thousandth of an inch. I also only use brass from ammo fired in my own guns, so far I am am still on once-fired brass. Maybe as I get more experience, and acquire more toys I will do it, but that seems more in the territory of the hardcore match shooter.
bergie

[This message has been edited by bergie (edited May 08, 2000).]
Old May 9, 2000, 12:54 AM   #3
Paul B.

Hueco. I think that most of the dial calipers you will find only go to .001. You should be able to estimate to .0005 without any problem. I'm a retired weatherman, and one of the tasks I had was what was called a barometer comparison. This is where you compare the station's aneroid baromter with a mercurial barometer. We had to read them to the nearest .0001 inch of mercury for the comparison. I am able to read my Mitutoyo dial caliper pretty close to .0001 because of that experience. I doubt that I am ever too far off. Of course, 33 years of practice has something to do with that.
I would imagine that if you went to a supply house that catered to the machinist trade, you could find a dial caliper that read to .0001, but my guess is that it would be very expensive. Won't hurt you to look though.
Paul B.
Old May 9, 2000, 01:27 AM   #4
char923

I use a Fowler Digital caliper and it accurate to 0.0001" and it also measure in MM.But I'm with Paul, I only use this one because,I got a good deal on it from my tool dealer. Try Dillon Precision, widway, Lyman has 3 type to pick from.
Old May 9, 2000, 10:20 AM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Also, check some of the discount tool catalogs. I got a stainless steel, dial-type caliper--Mitutoyo--for around $50. It's direct reading to 0.001, and it's easy to guestimate two or three tenths.

FWIW, Art
Old May 9, 2000, 02:10 PM   #6
Joefo

Midway, 1-800-243-3220. On sale this month for $19.99. Part #603-372. Can't beat it for the money.

Joefo
Old May 11, 2000, 08:26 PM   #7
byerly

If you want some the best calipers and measuring instruments made try Starret. Beware they are very expensive. Probably overkill for this. I'll probably buy a digital caliper from the snap-on truck tomorrow. Later, byerly
Old May 11, 2000, 09:02 PM   #8
Mal H
Staff

byerly, you'll appreciate the deal I found 2 weeks ago in PA at an outdoor flea market. Guy had a boxed set of 5 Starrett micrometers including an ID post type micrometer. All in excellent condition - $50. It was hard to keep a straight face so the price wouldn't suddenly go up.
Old May 13, 2000, 04:53 PM   #9
byerly

Deals like that bring a smile to my face. Way to go Mal H. My dad build engines and has several Starrett tools. Later, byerly
Old May 14, 2000, 10:10 AM   #10
WESHOOT2

Buy the Midway for 20 bucks -- accurate enough.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Old May 18, 2000, 09:04 PM   #11
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by byerly:
If you want some the best calipers and measuring instruments made try Starret. [/quote]

Amen to that byerly. I retired last year after 30 years in offshore oil, and about 10 years ago I needed a slide caliper and a micrometer so I ordered both at the same time. Both were Starret............top notch quality and top notch price. The price never bothered me in the least seeing as how Texaco was paying for them . Strangely enough somehow when I retired they mysteriously must have "fallen" into my bag, for when I arrived at home, safely for the last time, I found that they "followed" me home. It did not seem cost effecient for me to drive 50 miles and then charter a helicopter flight of 120 miles (one way) to return them offshore so they had to find a new home on my reloading bench. Now if only I could order a new pair of eyes to replace these eyes that need glasses to be able to read these fine Starret insturments!

------------------
Carlyle

[This message has been edited by Southla1 (edited May 18, 2000).]
Old May 19, 2000, 09:53 AM   #12
tonyz

Here is a good caliper!!
http://www.dillonprecision.com/templ...5&min=1&dyn=1&

I have one and it works great.

Tony Z Master Blaster.
Old May 20, 2000, 02:54 PM   #13
weegee

My biased, but totally correct suggestions:

NO caliper, dial or digital, reads to .0001. (most digital calipers have displays to .0005, but that is their max resolution (they round to the nearest half a thousandth). Yes, you can sometimes estimate a bit closer with a good dial model, but that is not accurate enough for the case web measurement you're wanting to make. You'll need a micrometer for that.

The BEST digital caliper is the Mitutoyo Absolute. (The "Absolute" feature retains the zero setting in memory.) There are several models, mine is #CD-6"CS; bought from MSC for about $110.00. You won't be disappointed!

MSC website is www.mscdirect.com, or phone for a catalog @ 800-645-7270. You'll have to give them the name of your 'business'--just make one up if necessary. They also have their catalog on CD-rom, which I highly reccommend--the paper catalog weighs about 12 pounds (no I'm not kidding; get the CD and save a tree!)

This is one of those tools that continually gives the satisfaction of owning the best...

I wont reccommend a mic; there are lots of good ones out there. try to find a 'friction thimble' model if you can, for a bit better 'feel'.

Best, weegee

[This message has been edited by weegee (edited May 20, 2000).]