The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 14, 2022, 01:37 AM   #26
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
It does not matter what you send it back for, they will convert it.
As I understand it, Ruger is required to do this as part of the legal settlement of a lawsuit they lost. Whether you want them to, or not, they will do it.
Old January 14, 2022, 02:00 AM   #27
Pathfinder45

Ruger fixed that problem with the Blackhawk rear sight.... and called it Vaquero.
Old January 14, 2022, 11:57 AM   #28
Jim Watson

At first they would return your conventional parts but I have heard that they went to stealing them so you could not reconvert the gun to conventional "dangerous" style.
Old January 14, 2022, 01:43 PM   #29
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Ruger fixed that problem with the Blackhawk rear sight.... and called it Vaquero.
Nice one!

However, in reality, trading one problem for another isn't fixing the problem.

Quote:
At first they would return your conventional parts but I have heard that they went to stealing them so you could not reconvert the gun to conventional "dangerous" style.
Ruger brought out the "NEW MODEL" lockwork about 1973. They have been converting "old model" (three screw) guns at least since then. If by "at first" you mean the SEVERAL DECADES since then, ok... Ruger always returned the parts along with the upgraded gun.

I heard a rumor that Ruger stopped doing that a few years ago, but have never found anyone that actually had that happen to them. From what I hear, IF Ruger actually did that, they have gone back to returning the parts today. I don't know from personal experience; I've never sent them a gun.

In the nearly 50 years this has been going on, your post is the first time I have ever heard anyone claim Ruger was "stealing them so you could not reconvert the gun to conventional "dangerous" style."

Clearly I'm not listening to the same people you are, but to me the phrasing sounds like an angry bitter person with an axe to grind against Ruger, or perhaps gun makers/ owners in general, or more likely, just someone who just wants to stir ...stuff.. to make a stink.
Old January 14, 2022, 01:58 PM   #30
Ricklin

Stealing the parts? That's a stretch. Ruger warranty service is quite good. Theft implies you received nothing for the parts they did not return.
Old January 14, 2022, 02:10 PM   #31
Jim Watson

Intentionally phrased to criticize company policy of not returning the owner's property.
I understand that is likely what their lawyers said to do, but it should have been made clear that your parts were to be EXCHANGED for their parts, especially after a long period of returning those internal parts.

And what of the Cowboy here who got in the unfortunate position of needing to return a "tuned" Vaquero for factory repair to something not covered in the "tuning" and finding stock parts back on his gun when returned?
Liability worries taken out on the customer again.
Old January 14, 2022, 03:22 PM   #32
Ricklin

I'm with them

I have been a manufacturer's rep for a good many years. I do tend to take the position of the manufacturer in these situations.

My gig is in health care, loads of "rules and regulations" govern the gear I sell and work with.
In fact similarities exist. The gear I sell can kill ya too, just takes a hell of a lot longer.
Factory repair means just that, the product will be brought up to their current product standards.

There are plenty of companies around the USA that will repair a tuned Ruger revolver.
They will not do so "free" or at low cost. Manufacturer's often have the deepest pockets, thus the Attys focus their cross hairs where the money is.
Old January 14, 2022, 03:52 PM   #33
jackmoser65

You'd be hard pressed to wear one out. You have my respect if you manage it.

I've heard plenty of reports of OM Rugers getting returned without the old parts. Which is why I suggest you remove them beforehand.

Quote:
As I understand it, Ruger is required to do this as part of the legal settlement of a lawsuit they lost. Whether you want them to, or not, they will do it.
It is totally voluntary.
Old January 20, 2022, 08:56 PM   #34
bamaranger

mine broke

Broke the transfer bar on mine. No cowboy shooting or mega round count, but considerable dry firing. Gun was bought used , over 30 yrs ago. Ruger sent TWO replacements, free of charge. An interesting thread ran here resultant my.

Jim.......I got the joke.....
Old January 21, 2022, 03:39 AM   #35
DaleA

Quote:
An interesting thread ran here resultant my.
I like Ruger and I like their single action revolvers. I'd be interested in what your thought was going to be here.
Old January 21, 2022, 01:31 PM   #36
bamaranger

Thread

my........ What intended to state was...... that I started an interesting thread here on this forum, that had numerous intelligent replies.

My laptop has crashed, and I am working with a tiny tablet. Because of my beefy hands, am forced to use a stylus, positing is a chore and mistake prone.

A search should yield that thread from a few years back, good insight regards broke Ruger transfer bars.
Old January 21, 2022, 02:13 PM   #37
DaleA

Thanks Bama. Found the threads right off.
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...t=transfer+bar

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...t=transfer+bar

For anybody else that's interested the threads also contain superb detailed photos from Driftwood Johnson.
Old January 22, 2022, 01:40 PM   #38
bamaranger

Sure

Glad to do it....I should have corrected the post when I saw that error. Better, I should have proof read before I posted. All this B-hawk chat has prompted me to drag mine out and check my zero. I bounce back and forth w/ what load I'm enchanted w/ at the current moment.

Mid range 158 LSWC or full house 158 JHP? Can't recall which load and POI is different enough to matter.
Old January 22, 2022, 06:00 PM   #39
Shadow9mm

depends on how much you shoot it, and how hot your loads are. For most people probably a lifetime or more before it needs maintenance.
Old January 23, 2022, 08:43 AM   #40
rodfac

Gwpercle, great write-up...and your's mirrors my experience with the venerable BH .357. I'm on my 3rd now; two old models with 4-5/8" & 6-1/2" bbls., and most currently, a 50th Anniversary with 4/5/8" bbl., of course. All were/are good; the oldest purchased new in '67 has probably had 40,000 rounds through it, & virtually all were cast wadcutters and LSWC's.

I never went beyond Lyman's published data for any of them, preferring instead mid-level loads at ~ 1000 fps. And all three would produce 2" or better groups at 25 yds on demand if I paid attention to bullet selection after casting.

While I've owned two Colt SAA's in .44 Special, & .45 Colt, I much prefer the Rugers for their adjustable sights and superior strength. Both of my Colts, BTW, shot to the sights...a rarity to be sure.

If strength is your issue...I doubt you could go wrong with a new, or used Ruger BH...and if there is a problem...they'll fix it pronto. Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; January 23, 2022 at 08:53 AM.
Old January 24, 2022, 01:00 PM   #41
Bob Willman

I don't really know what the life span is. I bought my Blackhawk in 1964 or 1965. Factory loads at first then 158gr cast bullets with 13.7gr of 2400 was my standard load - not max but fairly stout. There were some 125gr JHP along the way for woodchucks. I have no idea how many rounds since 1965 but I am sure it is not as many as some on this forum. I have a few hundred pounds of lead alloy on hand. I was recently gifted a 60 pound ingot of pure tin to go with the pure lead on hand. I did use some antimony for a while, which is a bear to melt, and a lot of wheel weights. The Blackhawk is still running fine.

Bob NRA Benefactor Golden Eagle
Old January 29, 2022, 03:04 PM   #42
Ruger45LC

Ruger Blackhawk 357's are so robust that they would last several lifetimes of hard use.