The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 19, 2018, 08:16 PM   #26
weaselfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
How do you mount your top to your base to resist the twisting force of reloading?
Screws. Though I must admit, I really don't understand what you're actually looking for.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old July 19, 2018, 08:48 PM   #27
F. Guffey

And then one day a local hospital decided to remodel part of their hospital. One of the first things to go were doors that were called solid core doors. I managed to load 8 of them; solid stuff, two saw horses with one solid door.

And then there is that one time during the month we are allowed to throw away big items; my wife ran into the house 'out of breath' telling me she did not know what it was but it looked like all the other junk I bring home so she showed me where it was. It was a cast Iron table saw with a little rust and running good. It was just my size because she said she was not going to help me load it.

Short time after that she found a 'kit' work bench with a wood lathe attached.
I could not believe the lathe did not include the electric motor. I got over it because the bench included a vise.

F. Guffey
Old July 19, 2018, 08:56 PM   #28
Nathan

When you push down on the arm, there is high force and a long lever arm creating a high moment about the mounting bolts. They are 2 points making them poor at reacting the moment. A solid base mounted to a strong tabletop is the best way to react these forces.

I bought a strong mount. It will mount to 2x10’s cut to 2x8 and joined. Still, the 2x8’s need a solid mount to the frame. I’ll use nut & bolt tightening....should work.

But if somebody knows an easier top mount that isn’t a handful of wood screws and hope, i’d Like to here.