The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 9, 2014, 10:27 AM   #1
1stmar

Press upgrade, readjust all dies?

Looking to upgrade my single stage press from an rcbs jr3 to a rock chucker or maybe a summit. I assume for the summit I will be readjusting all dies, would that be required for the rock chucker ?
Old November 9, 2014, 11:32 AM   #2
wogpotter

Probably.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old November 9, 2014, 11:33 AM   #3
1stmar

I know I'll have to check just curious as to the likelihood they will all need to be adjusted.
Old November 9, 2014, 11:49 AM   #4
Sevens

Absolutely positively zero chance you won't have to adjust them. We have all seen how much difference even an eighth of a turn can make, there's no rational reason to expect that the ram will dead-stop at the same place.

One thing that has straight-up baffled me for years now is why more folks don't set their dies with a pair of index lines. Obviously, this will not solve your issue of setting the dies up for the first time you migrate to a new press, however...

A solild, black index line (made by Sharpie pen) on the top of the press and a vertical index line on every die body I use is my method for ensuring my dies are precisely where I want it. I don't use the lock ring bottoming on the press & hope my dies are in the right spot. With the index line, I know for sure they are where they need to be.
Old November 9, 2014, 12:03 PM   #5
mikld

Actually, readjusting dies ain't a big deal. I don't lock my lock rings on the die body, and I adjust them every time for my single stage presses (nope, none are the same). I believe every one should be really comfortable/practiced in die adjustments mainly because without this knowledge, trouble shooting is just a WAG...
Old November 9, 2014, 12:10 PM   #6
Sevens

Well...
Adjusting dies for the carbide sizer in a straightwall handgun caliber is a no-brainer, you simply run the die deep enough to meet the top of the shell holder or more. It's only "adjustable" if you (for some reason) don't wish to size the entire thing.

But for applying a mouth flare:
too much and you've corrupted that brass, either needs to be resized or it's borked for life

And for applying roll or taper crimp:
too much and you've ruined that loaded round, will need to be manually pulled down for reclamation or the entire thing tossed out, and too much/too reckless and both the bullet and brass are forever destroyed, not again usable

This is not something I would imagine anyone wants to do everytime they screw 2 of their 3 pistol dies in to their single stage press.
Old November 9, 2014, 02:13 PM   #7
Bart B.

I think resetting a die's lock ring when switching presses is normal.

There's a few thousandths difference in lock ring position on the same die being set in my two Rockchucker presses. They're both further off from what the RCBS Junior and Partner press require.
Old November 9, 2014, 03:32 PM   #8
hartcreek

I adjust mine each and every time. It takes less then a minute so NBD.
Old November 9, 2014, 03:59 PM   #9
1stmar

If you were going to pick either the rock chucker or the summit, which would you pick and why? I like the rock chucker, but the summit is interesting conceptually
Old November 10, 2014, 12:08 PM   #10
mikld

While I don't own a Summit, I've read some reports from members of other forums. One drawback is attaching any accessory to the die, or using tools that attach to the press at the die location. Like a Lee "crank trimmer", and sizing die bullet "catcher". They don't have enough room between the die station and the center post and/or die plate. If you don't depend on tools like that (which I don't) all reports I've read on the Summit are very positive...