The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 30, 2018, 06:30 PM   #26
FrankenMauser

Enjoy it.
But don't drive it like you stole it.
H&R had to discontinue the .500 S&W models long before the Handi-Rifle was killed off, because recoil was battering the receivers when used heavily. Some cracked. Some were piened. Some were reported to have bent the hinge pin and/or splayed the receiver side walls.

They're safe at low round counts. But if you drive it hard, it will fight back.

Quote:
I knew a guy who bought one of the H&R 45/70 rifles. Three shots and it was "FOR SALE" with a box of 17 cartridges.
I always find that quite funny (even with .30-30 versions). ...Because the .444 Marlin versions are well liked, and considered 'tame' and easy to shoot, even though the Handi-Rifle's ergonomics are terrible.
Old June 30, 2018, 07:29 PM   #27
fourbore

It is almost as-if S&W deliberately push the pressure levels so that no one else could build a revolver for it. And made something so extreme as to be borderline useless in any handgun. It sure did take the wind out of a lot of other sails and seems the 44mag and 454 are sole survivors.

Based on the last post the 500 has even taken its toll on some rifles. Obviously Taurus had to bail out of the revolver scene. Too bad, a little too much of a good thing.

As for the handy rifle, I wonder if the CVA is going to benifit from that loss. I dont hear much about those CVA singles. The Henry seems too heavy.
Old July 1, 2018, 03:35 PM   #28
taylorce1

Watch for frame stretch with the .500 S&W. It was talked about quite a lot over on the GBO forums.
Old July 3, 2018, 09:47 PM   #29
WV_gunner

.500 is documented as being too much for these guns. .45-70 hurts the shoulder with hunting loads after a few shots. If you go a half box without jerking I’d be amazed. The .30-06 will literally attempt to make flight. I’ve shot .30-06 in other guns, ones weighing a couple more pounds and that doesn’t happen. If you want a higher powered round in one of these guns, it won’t be a gun shot very many times. My bigger cartridge single shots are reserved for hunting.