The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old December 23, 2005, 11:18 PM   #1
lil_bro

Break-free CLP any good?

I got some Break-free CLP today and I am wondering how well it will work for my P95D.

Thanks for any info.
Michael.
Old December 23, 2005, 11:21 PM   #2
Logs

Probably the Best stuff you could by.... You picked a winner...
Old December 23, 2005, 11:38 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

It's always at or very near the top in any rust test, and is noted for being one of the best lubes around.

SHAKE THE DICKENS out of the bottle, it settles.
Every time you pick up the bottle, shake it some more.

It ISN'T a bore solvent.
The "cleaner" part of CLP actually means that it keeps fouling soft and allows the moving parts of the action to "sweep" fouling out of the way, allowing the gun to keep working.

Applying it to the outside of the gun will prevent rust, and will build up a protective layer of Teflon on the metal.
Old December 24, 2005, 01:11 AM   #4
mathman

If I'm not mistaken, the military uses CLP for its all purpose gun lube...right?
Old December 24, 2005, 06:49 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

recommend

If not the 'Best', at least Top Three......

Works for me in extreme heat, dust, and cold.
Old December 24, 2005, 08:04 AM   #6
Scarface

Hi Lil Bro,

I use Ed's Red CLP each time I shoot and coat the wear surfaces with Militec 1. It seems that I have fewer stoppages than most people.

Be Well,

Scarface

http://www.anklepocket.com/
Old December 24, 2005, 08:10 AM   #7
cochise

SHAKE THE DICKENS out of the bottle, it settles.
Every time you pick up the bottle, shake it some more.

........................................................................................................

Very good advice!
Old December 24, 2005, 01:26 PM   #8
firefighterjim

Great stuff.....I have used it for over 20 years on all my guns....

Good advice on the shaking too. It does settle. I know that it's not technically a bore cleaner, but I have never had any issues with it cleaning the bore without a lot of hard scrubbing.

It is a great preservative as well. On a hunting trip to Alaska, mine was the only gun that didn't rust.

I can recommend it highly!!
Old December 24, 2005, 02:02 PM   #9
tulsamal

Quote:
Good advice on the shaking too. It does settle.
If civilians used it in the same bottles we used to get in the 80's Army, they wouldn't have any trouble remembering this. They gave it to us in little clear squeeze bottles. You could just glance at it and see it settled out like oil salad dressing. The bottom inch or two would be all this thick white cloudy stuff. So even a hardhead would realize it needed to be shook up!

Gregg
Old December 24, 2005, 02:59 PM   #10
Tom2

Good lube for Army

A few years ago I saw a reserve unit with some kind of tracked gun. Not a tank, some huge cannon on a track platform. Vietnam era gun. Anyway the crew were useing spray can Break Free to hose down the breech mechanism and keep it moving smooth. I use it and also FP-10 lube. Seems they are about equivalent to me. Both can seperate. I do use some stuff called EEZOX on outside surfaces for normal duty. Evaporates and gives a great protective film. Might use the B.F. if I thought I would have the gun in extreme condx. instead of just for storage.
Old December 24, 2005, 03:26 PM   #11
lil_bro

Sounds like great stuff I'm glad bought it.

I will try it out on my P95D and see how it works.

Thanks for the input.
Michael.
Old December 24, 2005, 04:37 PM   #12
BUSTER51

I have found FP10 to be better than clp ,and it smells good too.
Old December 24, 2005, 06:57 PM   #13
Lebben-B

CLP is good for most environments. I don't recommend it for desert/very dusty areas. Breakfree combines with the dust and makes a gritty sludge. Militec is a good lube, but bear in mind it's a lubricant and protectant, not a cleaner. For a pistol, I'd also recommend a good gun grease for the slide/frame rails. High viscosity lubes (Like CLP) tend to wear away quickly with sustained firing of the pistol.

Mike
Old December 24, 2005, 09:46 PM   #14
BobK

You guys must remember that just because the military or police use CLP doesn't mean it's the best. Just means they got a real good price for it. Tetragun is a superior lubricant. Long after CLP is dried up and dissapated, Tetragun is still there. It is a flouropolymer. See their website. www.tetraproducts.com
Been using it now for about nine years on my Kimber. Gun runs great always and no signs of major wear.
Old December 24, 2005, 10:04 PM   #15
1inthechamber

Is CLP safe for polymer frame handguns?
Old December 24, 2005, 10:10 PM   #16
Lebben-B

Quote:
Is CLP safe for polymer frame handguns?
Don't see why not. It's been slathered on M16/M4s for a couple of decades now.

Mike
Old December 24, 2005, 10:50 PM   #17
BillCA

CLP is a decent lubricant and a moderately good "cleaner". As one poster said, it allows the fouling to remain soft so it doesn't interfere with operation. The problem I have with it is that those folks who use it as a bore cleaner, powder solvent and a general purpose lube may be just spreading the fouling evenly all over the gun (and mixing it with the teflon).

Use CLP as a lubricant and use real bore-cleaner/powder solvent for cleaning. I used Hoppe's for years and have switched to Rig #44. The only complaint is that it's clear so it's harder to see how much you're getting on a patch. Does a great job of cleaning the bore, cylinder and/or slide & rails.

Once clean, use your favorite lube (CLP, FP10, Tetragun) to lightly lubricate the moving parts. I use a dab of Tetragrease on the slide rails of my bottom feeders and wipe off excess. This reduces the effort required to move the slide and keeps them running through over 500 rounds.

Many of the wonder-lubes that contain teflon product will evaporate. They claim they leave behind a teflon coating that will protect against wear. I prefer a real oil-based product on blued guns to protect the finish. I also prefer something that can be dispensed with precision to the pivot points on a gun (not a pump spray, darnit).
Old December 24, 2005, 11:38 PM   #18
stevelyn

Break-Free CLP any good?

Probably the best product of its kind on the market. Break-Free LP is a slightly thicker formulation without the penetrant.

Quote:
Be sure to shake the dickens out of it.
I throw a few BBs in the bottles to act as agitator balls. They really help break up the settled teflon and get it back into suspension.

Quote:
Is it safe for polymer?
Hasn't hurt Glocks in the least.

I buy Break-Free in the 16oz pump spray bottles and I always have a 4oz bottle of LP on hand. I put 4 or 5 BBs in the bottles to facilitate "Shaking Well". I also have an LSA bottle with a field cleaning kit that I keep Break-Free in that goes on hunting trips with me. I keep needle oiler bottles I bought from Brownell's on my cleaning bench (kitchen table) that are filled w/ BF CLP or LP (and one has a mixture of both) that I use to precision lube my guns.
I almost never clean exclusively w/ BF anymore unless I'm on a hunting or training trip away from home. For cleaning I've found a much better product in MPro-7- aka Hoppes Elite, aka Butch's BoreShine for blackpowder, but you have to recoat and relube after using MPro-7.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old December 25, 2005, 03:01 PM   #19
Average Joe

Best you can buy, try this at home: coat a common nail with Breakfree CLP, and another one with your favorite oil/cleaner etc. Let dry, then place in a cup of water for 24 hrs. See which one is better. You decide.
Old July 8, 2018, 02:42 PM   #20
Satchmoeddie

All I know is my father moved to Arizona where there is not much bird hunting, unless you count quail, dove, and snipe. He hadn't cleaned his Browning superpose in 40 years. The gun was leaded up something fierce, and breakfree took that lead out in no time at all. I had grey sludge flowing out of both barrels, and all over the newspaper. I prefer to clean with Breakfree, and then store with Ballistol. M Pro7 cleaner melted the grips off a couple of new old stock Beretta mouseguns, so that garbage only gets used on certain guns. Breakfree won't melt plastics. It actually makes vinyls look pretty nice. Glocks are Nylon. Nylon 6, with 30% glass fiber if memory serves. There is also Nylon 66, and Zytel a blend of Nylon 6 & 66. I usually lube with Tetra or Slip, or a budget blend of 0W20 and Wahl Oil for hair clippers, on range day. The Valvoline 0W20 & Wahl mixture is going to be wiped away anyway. If it's below 0 I will to straight to Tetra and nothing else.
Old July 8, 2018, 03:54 PM   #21
Winny

Love the stuff. Does wonders on all my guns.

Like others have stated, it’s not great for a filthy barrel. Breakfree does make a bore cleaning foam that really scrubs away anything in the barrel.

Both products work best with time. Spray it down, walk away... prevent the urge to scrub it in and let it soak for 10 minutes. Makes clean up a lot easier.
Old July 8, 2018, 04:42 PM   #22
mr bolo

I heard Break-free is no good for plated metal like the small parts on a GLOCK?

since it has solvents it breaks down the silver colored plating on the locking block, the same way it dissolves copper fouling.

I try not to get any solvents on the plastic on a polymer pistol, only in the bore.
Old July 8, 2018, 05:21 PM   #23
xandi

resurrected tread
Anyways yes break free clp, works well enough and it’s available at Walmart
Old July 8, 2018, 07:49 PM   #24
Bill DeShivs

Break Free doesn't dissolve copper or plating!
Where do you guys hear this stuff?
Old July 8, 2018, 08:16 PM   #25
Mal H
Staff

I think a 13 year old thread should die in peace.
Closed Thread