The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 20, 2005, 02:28 PM   #1
GLP Standard

Just wondering what sights everyone likes best and why

I was reading around online, and came across differnet types of sights. Ive seen Trijicon Night Sights like I have on my company issued Beretta, and Ive also seen Fiber Optic sights, which the manufacturer always stresses the fact that.... "These Are Not Night Sights!!"

Now im wondering, what exactly is the difference? I understand that Trijicon has a small amount of tritium that gathers light and stores it to make them glow in the dark, and something of the like.

How do Fiber Optic sights work, and why are they not considered Night Sights if they glow in the dark just like Trijicon?

Lastly, what does everyone prefer? Give me some brands as well as Night Sights or Fiber Optic? Im going to get some sort of night sights on my XD when I get it, but I want to get whats best.
Old October 20, 2005, 02:58 PM   #2
sig-it

fiber optics need light to transfer or appear to glow....a fiber optic is just a piece of light tranfering material, in this case they are tinted.

i personally have trijicons on my carry guns, they last around 10 years and clow brightly even after bieng stored in the dark safe for weeks...

good luck and good shooting.
s&w model 41 (.22lr)
cz 97B (.45 acp)
Old October 20, 2005, 05:09 PM   #3
GLP Standard

Hmm....I understand now. So that being said, how does everyone feel about TruGlo Tritium/Fiber Optic sights? After searching around, they seem to be what I would get. How bright do they glow compared to some other sights for the same price? Anything out there that is better than these?
Old October 20, 2005, 05:58 PM   #4
Jim Watson

I have been wondering about the Truglos.
Does the tritium glow through the "fibre optic" lucite well enough to see in near-dark?
Is the lucite insert long enough to pick up enough ambient light to shine in daytime or room lighting?
I don't know.
Why don't you buy a set and YOU tell US?
Old October 21, 2005, 08:53 AM   #5
SgtGunner

I tried a few types of night sights, and one fiber optic. I have never been a fan of "3 dot types" they just dont seem to line up for me. Then I discovered Heinie Straight 8 night sights and I fell in love with them. Any gun I plan to carry gets a set o heinies now. That said I have a set of truglo's on my 870. They are great in good light but in near dark I really cant see em. Might be my eyes though. seems if you have a little light they pick it up and amplify it so low light they are ok but not as good as night sights, complete dark i really cant pick em up at all.

"Semper Fidelis"

"Life is too short to carry a little pop gun...Make mine .45ACP"