The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 1, 2018, 07:45 AM   #1
Road_Clam

Howa tac rifle opinions ?

So i've been trying to resist the 6.5CM train but it's really hard when I keep getting spanked by my buddies' RPR in 6.5 at 600 yds when i'm shooting 308. The Howa HCR's and the APC's look very interesting, would like your feedback on the Howa Tac (or any howa rifle) with respect to precision and customer service in general . Thanks !
Old July 1, 2018, 12:24 PM   #2
Bfglowkey

Shooting both 6.5 and 308 I can say up to around 600 it's really pick your poison and you can shoot both accurate and consistent. That RPR is a very sneaky good rifle and crazy accurate. If your 308 is not holding up it may just need a bit of TLC to keep the paces. What bullet are you shooting? Handloads or factory?
Old July 1, 2018, 01:40 PM   #3
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfglowkey
Shooting both 6.5 and 308 I can say up to around 600 it's really pick your poison and you can shoot both accurate and consistent. That RPR is a very sneaky good rifle and crazy accurate. If your 308 is not holding up it may just need a bit of TLC to keep the paces. What bullet are you shooting? Handloads or factory?
If i'm shooting my box stock R700 ACC-SD with the 168 SMK my buddies RPR in 6.5CM will pretty much out score me consistiantly. If I bring my Savage 12 F-TR and shoot my pet 168 smk load (and there is no wind) I can keep pace with him and even outscore him. If there's a cross wind that's when that darn 6.5CM just shines. seems those 140 gr match bullets at 2900 fps REALLY buck the wind. I also would like to get into a tactical mag fed bolt action rifle as well.
Old July 2, 2018, 05:44 AM   #4
Bfglowkey

I agree...wind can mess with the 308 past 300 yds in my experience ( I am still learning wind reading and hold over correction). I started on a 6.5 RPR and got spoiled. I thought I was the cats meow compared to my buddies when we stretched things out. We played rifle round robin and when I shot his 308 I was taught a very valuable lesson in humility. So I bought a Savage 12FV in 308 to learn and am enjoying both calibers for their nuances. Once I finish this last line of load testing/development I plan on focusing on shooting 400+ until I can hit my goal of 4/6 milk jugs at 1000 within 8 shots. Lofty goal? I am not sure but it sounds like a great challenge at my current skill level
Old July 2, 2018, 02:53 PM   #5
PlatinumCore16

Road Clam, if you are looking for a box fed/tac style you might look into getting a chassis for your 700. The bottom line MDT chassis is pretty rock solid, takes AICS mags, and is usually the cheapest chassis on the market.
Old July 2, 2018, 06:55 PM   #6
precision_shooter

My go to answer for most questions like this, is, for the money you really can’t do much better than the Tikka T3x Tactical/Compact Tactical. I’ve owned and shot most every flavor of target rifle in this price range and they have all been sold except my Tikka.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old July 3, 2018, 06:33 AM   #7
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by precision_shooter
for the money you really can’t do much better than the Tikka T3x Tactical/Compact Tactical
My local FFL buddy met me at our gun club and he brought his Tikka T3x Tac and I had an opportunity to try it, absolutely outstanding shooter, only negative from me was the LONG takeup pull on the 2 stage trigger. Feels like you have to pull back a mile to hit the "stop", the actual second stage break is perfect felt about 3 lbs and VERY crisp. I must say a smooth as silk action compared to a production R700. Very nice quality mags too.