The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 13, 2020, 07:38 AM   #1
stagpanther

The great primer shortage

It looks like there's no end in sight to the primer drought, I shoot a lot and my primer supply is now getting so low that I'm wondering if I need to switch over to SHTF ammo production and curtail recreational and accuracy load development. interesting, it appears from googling that just over the border in Canada all primer types are available at non price gouging prices.
Old November 13, 2020, 09:47 AM   #2
rodfac

I don't see the ammunition and primer shortage abating given the current political climate. As an example, the Obama years were one long draught, and the President ?elect? was an integral part of that mess. All that said, I believe the Dem's have included another assault on the 2nd Amendment as a part of their plans for the next Presidency.

As a result, I've backed off most high volume shooting, preferring instead to husband my supplies. For the past four years I tried to get my sons interested in stocking up but to no avail. Now we're back into it, big time.

Hate to be a pessimist, but it doesn't look good. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old November 13, 2020, 09:48 AM   #3
littlebikerider

There was a news article yesterday that Vista Outdoors has ammo orders for the next year. i read that as sparse primer availability for the next year. So the game begins. Look for primers every time you go by a place that sells them, and buy them if you see them.
I've started shooting .45ACP and .22LR more, and save everything loaded with small pistol primers for the occasional foray until supply returns. Now that cold weather is returning and indoor ranges are COVID-spooky, I will likely be doing a whole lot more airgun shooting in the basement.
Old November 13, 2020, 10:30 AM   #4
Capt.Mike

I've been thinking the same but I'm Stocked with New and Reloads. In the past month, I've added about 4k more of .380, 9mm, .45 and 38sp. I went to the range yesterday and shot a couple hundred 9's and 38's.

Talking to the Operator of the range he said "I Sold $187.00 in ammo this morning, 3 Boxes of .380"! OUCH... Each box (50) was $50+ and TAX. I loaded 500 rounds of .380 last week and have another box of 500 bullets.

I'm blowing through my Primer stock but what else is there to do? I do have a boat load of 20+ year old .22Lr I could start shooting.

I've said this before, the Obama Administration considered making Reloading Illegal and "if" Joe somehow ends up in the POTUS he Could Do the Same but... (Big) BUT, the Plan as Ive heard it is a Tax on Every Gun and Magazine We Own. I guess some of us will turn back in to Criminals?

Airguns, Hell Yea but I really like my TaterGun for Beer-30! (Damn Amazing It Doesn't Blow all to Hell!)

Last edited by Mal H; November 13, 2020 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Edited out "substitute" censored word.
Old November 13, 2020, 11:17 AM   #5
FoghornLeghorn

This too, shall pass.

From this thread: https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=609290

Quote:
According to Midsouth, components, particularly brass and primers, are all being used for loaded ammo to try to meet the demand from all the first-time gun owners the rioting created. According to Forbes Magazine, gun and ammo makers who upped their production capacity during the previous administration got burned when the current administration was elected and people stopped feeling threatened and stopped stockpiling and over-buying, and suddenly they were stuck with extra employees and equipment they could not keep busy. So, this time they are not doing anything to increase capacity, instead contracting out what they can and adding some overtime, but not ramping anything up in their own plants.
The shortage is due to the first time gun buyers who simply want protection as UncleNick states above. They're buying their gun and a box or two of ammo, just to feel safe. They are not dedicated shooters. They aren't picking up the sport with a passion and won't be adding it to their list of hobbies. They don't even like guns. They just want to feel safe in their own homes and won't be continuing to purchase ammo beyond the pacifier effect.

Once that demand is satisfied, things will get back to normal.

Now, if new anti 2nd laws are passed, well, that'll be a whole different discussion.

Last edited by FoghornLeghorn; November 13, 2020 at 11:58 AM.
Old November 13, 2020, 11:20 AM   #6
stagpanther

One retailer is selling 3.5K of SRP's for $500. No gouging going on there.
Old November 13, 2020, 04:11 PM   #7
308Loader

Canada you say? Not far from here. What are the laws as far as crossing the border with primers?
Old November 13, 2020, 04:23 PM   #8
sako2

I've heard for suppliers like midway, midsouth, etc to ship primers they have to have a hazmat license.
Old November 13, 2020, 04:30 PM   #9
308Loader

right, but if a person goes from minnesota to canada to pick up primers and drives them home? just a brick or 3 not a whole flat or truck load.
Old November 13, 2020, 08:59 PM   #10
stagpanther

AFAIK--Americans aren't allowed to cross the border unless it's essential trade. I have my doubts they'll let you in based on "I'm a desperate reloader." However--I'm not sure what the regs are for shipping them, kinda doubt it.
Old November 14, 2020, 06:23 PM   #11
RC20

Quote:
the President ?elect? was an integral part of that mess
Well the panic that resulted from people panicking was the integral part of the mess.

Me? Knowing that they would panic again I stocked up and am good shape for a couple of years. I am a thinking Bubba!

What is funny is, non thinking Bubba reloads 20 bullets a year, panics, buys 500 bullets and he is 55 years old (shelves look like a Hurricane swept them off)

Yep, Bubba croaks with 200 years supply of bullets and the kids throw out the bullets because they don't reload. sigh.
Old November 14, 2020, 10:44 PM   #12
AL45

I actually found CCI small pistol, large pistol and small rifle primers today at a small mom and pop store off the beaten path. Paid 49.00 per thousand. I was shocked. I think I'll sell them on Gunbroker for $5000.00 a brick......Not really.
Old November 15, 2020, 12:35 AM   #13
stagpanther

I shoot a lot--so I go through primers and powder pretty fast--powder I have a very good supply of--primers, especially large rifle--I use around a thousand a month. I haven't been able to find any since early this year except the Genix stuff a few months ago which I found is unpredictable in consistency and reliability to ignite, I'm guessing they made it to meet nato machine gun standards. I'm now buying up a lot of rimfire ammo, but I use that stuff fast too--when I use it. Most zombie end-of-the-world SHTF apocalypse panics ammo and powder is hard to find--but I've never seen a primer cut-off like the current one.
Old November 15, 2020, 10:37 AM   #14
jetinteriorguy

Right now I got a real good deal on three different bullets for my 6.5 CM. I picked up 1000 143gr, 1000 140gr, and 500 139gr for $120.00. So I’m only shooting enough to work up loads for these then once I have a load I’ll load up as much as I have brass just for my stash. I’m not really hurting for primers since I have over 30,000 in stock and about 16,000 loaded ready to go. But I’m not just going to burn up components for a while either.
Old November 15, 2020, 10:45 AM   #15
2wheelwander

LGS always has a brick or two of large pistol on hand at $45/1000. They usually have a brick of large rifle as well. Small pistol/rifle have been AWOL for quite a while. For a while they were breaking gown their 1000 bricks into 100 count cards and price gouging them, then those went away as well.
Old November 20, 2020, 07:49 AM   #16
Targa

As long as people keep paying $200 for a brick of primers on Gunbroker there isn’t going to be any incentive for employees to let primers make it to the shelves. They will keep what they need and put aside what they don’t for friends and family.
Old November 20, 2020, 08:03 AM   #17
stagpanther

Zombie-commie apocalypse is driving the demand for ammo so high that's why primers are unavailable, according to what I've read.
Old November 20, 2020, 04:12 PM   #18
littlebikerider

As of this morning, Scheel's in Springfield IL had about a dozen boxes of CCI Large Pistol Primers for $59.99/1000.
Old November 20, 2020, 06:38 PM   #19
cdoc42

Three weeks ago I found small pistol primers at a gun store that was 2 hours round trip. When I got there they would only sell me 300 @ 3.99/100. That was $12.69 with tax and I spent $11 in gas. So I really spent $7.89/100.

I had a reason to be in that area today so we won't count the gas. But they raised the price to $4.99/100 and will only sell 200.

If everyone is willing to pay exorbitant fees for these primers, when the dust settles, the cost will be $100/1000; cases will climb to 75 cents to $1.00 each, no matter what caliber; powder will be at least $50 a pound unless they sell it in 12-oz canisters and bullets will be above Nosler's typical prices for 50 rounds per box.

That will be the new wave of gun control.
Old November 20, 2020, 07:53 PM   #20
USSR

Quote:
If everyone is willing to pay exorbitant fees for these primers, when the dust settles, the cost will be $100/1000...
The dust settled quite a while ago; they've been paying $200 and more for 1000 SPP's on GunBroker.

Don
Old November 20, 2020, 08:14 PM   #21
Average Joe

I shoot my air rifle now days, saving the ammo for the future.
Old November 20, 2020, 11:35 PM   #22
jjavedas

IMHO The guy's that are sitting a garage full of toilet paper are the guys that have 10,000 primers( and don't own a press) 20,000 .22 LR., that they couldn't use in two life times. Relax give it 6 mo.s after the zombie apocalypse fails to show up, and supplies will return.(just stock up 1 year before he next election) and you should be fine
Old November 21, 2020, 12:55 AM   #23
5whiskey

Flintlocks for the win!!!

Seriously, I had a decent primer stash going into this. I’m still ok, but I can’t take a multi year drought either. Glad I have tons of black powder, lead, and caps. I doubt flints will ever be regulated, or bought in panic. So I have a fall back hobby.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old November 21, 2020, 01:10 AM   #24
5whiskey

Quote:
If everyone is willing to pay exorbitant fees for these primers, when the dust settles, the cost will be $100/1000; cases will climb to 75 cents to $1.00 each, no matter what caliber; powder will be at least $50 a pound unless they sell it in 12-oz canisters and bullets will be above Nosler's typical prices for 50 rounds per box.

That will be the new wave of gun control.
No this is a free market full of speculation right now. We have no idea what kind of gun control may come, but primers and powder isn’t on anti gunners radar (thank goodness). This is not any regulatory scheme. This is average consumers buying out of fear, speculation, ill preparation, and (in the case of guys who buy just to flip on armslist) greed. Sanity is still out there in full force. I’ve spotted some stupid prices on Armslist, but my local area armslist also has a good number of people selling 9mm less than 50 cents per round. They’re still making money selling part of their stash, but I would believe they’re charging reasonable (for the times) prices. I was afraid ammo prices would never go to normal after ‘08-‘09. They eventually did. They also did after Sandy Hook, which was even worse (it took a couple years though). They probably will again, so long as the senate doesn’t flip parties and the mid terms go well for the more pro 2A party. We might not get the low prices of last year again, but we may and prices will certainly go down from where they are now.

Wanna see free market in action? Look for 6.5 carcano ammo on gunbroker. It isn’t a gun control conspiracy. It’s the fact that a ton of surplus carcanos just hit the market at a cheap price, people want to shoot those rifles after purchase, the round is an obscure round with only a couple of companies making limited runs of ammo for it, all the ammo is dried up with little hope of any new ammo being produced for a while due to the common caliber panic shortages, and only a couple of sellers have a handful of boxes. Seriously, it’s amazing that such an obscure and unimpressive round to feed a poorly made rifle is going for well over $3.00 per round at auction. It will approach the price of .50 BMG before long at this rate.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old November 21, 2020, 10:45 AM   #25
jetinteriorguy

The big problem with these surges is that prices never do return to where they were. They will get more reasonable but somehow the companies need to pay for the added investment of new facilities built to meet increasing demands. All these costs are passed on to the consumers.