The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 2, 2020, 01:58 PM   #26
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dufus View Post
Well, I have never owned a Glock and probably never will.

BUT, everywhere I go, good or bad (if there is such a thing) I carry 16 rounds in the gun plus an extra 16 in the spare mag. Without fail.

After thought: If someone expects an area to be good, then their guard is down, at least the way I am thinking, and when disaster springs its ugly face, it makes ugly headlines. I don't believe that there is a difference between the good & bad. Bad is everywhere, even in church where God's reverence is supposed to prevail.
Glock 19 was just an example.
You are doing what the thread is encouraging, carrying the same regardless of location (perceived risk).
Old June 2, 2020, 02:00 PM   #27
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don P View Post
Today's riots make this a no brainer.
For me, it was a no brainer prior to the riots.
Old June 2, 2020, 02:11 PM   #28
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete2 View Post
No way I'm gonna be caught without my G19 and my 7 30 round magazines!
Old June 5, 2020, 05:09 AM   #29
peacefulgary

Quote:
No way I'm gonna be caught without my G19 and my 7 30 round magazines!
Your enemy would just have to push you in to a swimming pool or a pond, and you would drown from the weight! ;-)
Old June 5, 2020, 07:55 PM   #30
zoo

Quote:
Your enemy would just have to push you in to a swimming pool or a pond, and you would drown from the weight! ;-)
This is why I also wear my Mae West whenever I leave my house in addition to seven 30 round mags for my Legend 350 AR, gloves, and galoshes for when the "mud" gets too deep.
Old June 7, 2020, 06:05 AM   #31
peacefulgary

Young'uns today don't know who Mae West was or why the flotation device was called that! :-)
Old June 13, 2020, 08:27 AM   #32
Mannlicher

When out and about, I always have a long gun in the vehicle. The handgun may vary.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old June 21, 2020, 03:22 AM   #33
Brit

The one major result of venturing out of your house with a concealed pistol, is you have the ability to defend yourself, all things being equal.
In today's climate of the breaking down of law and order, I use an earpiece for my cell phone communication, driving in the Jeep. Whilst out and about, blue tooth.
The 911 call? Goes unanswered! Just continues to ring! You had just locked the passenger door, your wife safe behind the locked passenger door, of the two young men who had accosted you as you stepped behind your vehicle, the one with the knife is down, curled in a ball, responding to the two 9mm bullets, you had lodged in his chest cavity from a mere 8ft! His companion has legged it.
As always backed into the parking space, key in, the engine started, pulling away. still no answer from the 911 call!
The new normal?
Old June 22, 2020, 12:49 PM   #34
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit View Post
The one major result of venturing out of your house with a concealed pistol, is you have the ability to defend yourself,
Old June 22, 2020, 02:54 PM   #35
Shadow9mm

You are looking at it wrong. You are not carrying "less". Its about using the right tool for the right job. Its also about understanding your enviorment and situational awareness. There are situations where a g19 is over kill or unsuitable due to clothing restrictions or activities. there are also situations where a g19 with 10-33rnd mags would be inadequate. The important thing is that you carry something and be proficient with it. I regularly carry my NAA 22 mag for quick errands. If I'm running a lot of errands or will be out a while I will grab my sub compact 9 and a spare mag. If im going to me out all day or in a questionable area of town i grab my G19 and 2 spare mags. I completely avoid the bad areas of town and maintain my situational awareness and try to avoid any potential issues. I carry enough for the situation I am in.
Old June 22, 2020, 02:55 PM   #36
TunnelRat

You’re assuming you’re carrying enough for the situation you’re in. You may well be right, but you may not be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 22, 2020, 02:56 PM   #37
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit View Post
A "Bad area" is an area were a bad guy is? All he needs is a vehicle, yes?
you cant control where they go, but you can control going where you know them to be
Old June 23, 2020, 01:54 PM   #38
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post
You are looking at it wrong. You are not carrying "less". Its about using the right tool for the right job. Its also about understanding your enviorment and situational awareness. There are situations where a g19 is over kill or unsuitable due to clothing restrictions or activities. there are also situations where a g19 with 10-33rnd mags would be inadequate. The important thing is that you carry something and be proficient with it. I regularly carry my NAA 22 mag for quick errands. If I'm running a lot of errands or will be out a while I will grab my sub compact 9 and a spare mag. If im going to me out all day or in a questionable area of town i grab my G19 and 2 spare mags. I completely avoid the bad areas of town and maintain my situational awareness and try to avoid any potential issues. I carry enough for the situation I am in.
As stated in the OP, I'm retired and can dress as I choose; A Glock 19 is easy to conceal.

Situational awareness doesn't increase or decrease based on size of pistol.

You would rather defend your life with a NAA 22 than a Glock 19 - on a quick errand? Your preference, definitely not mine.

The people in "bad areas" are mobile.

A Glock 19 is not "overkill" its a minimum, for me; the minimum I'd want in hand if I had to defend myself, regardless of location or time of day.

You say, I'm looking at it wrong.

Old June 23, 2020, 03:40 PM   #39
Double K

I carry the biggest pistol my clothing will allow which often times means the lowly Ruger LCP sometimes with extra magazines. I'm not trying to save the world from violence, just myself, not necessarily trying to win a gun battle just get away to safety.
Old June 24, 2020, 06:56 PM   #40
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
As stated in the OP, I'm retired and can dress as I choose; A Glock 19 is easy to conceal.

Situational awareness doesn't increase or decrease based on size of pistol.

You would rather defend your life with a NAA 22 than a Glock 19 - on a quick errand? Your preference, definitely not mine.

The people in "bad areas" are mobile.

A Glock 19 is not "overkill" its a minimum, for me; the minimum I'd want in hand if I had to defend myself, regardless of location or time of day.

You say, I'm looking at it wrong.

its about the right tool for the right job, would you try to take off lug nuts with a crecent wrench? Or would you tighten scope rings with a 3ft cheater bar on your allen wrench? You have to assess the risks of the area you are going to be in, or even areas to stay out of, and equip yourself accordingly. There are many areas, especially in my home town, where I don't feel I need to carry at all. Rather than not carry I grab the NAA and drop it in my pocket. And for the record, I train with the NAA. 22mag speer gold dots, which open reliably and penetrate to FBI standards are nothing to scoff at. Especially given that I can hit a gator aid bottle lid at 7yds with the gun. Just because you personally FEEL that a 15+1 9mm is the bare minimum for you, does not MAKE it the bare minimum, or MAKE it inadequate for everyone else. If you re going to start a topic of conversation i suggest you keep an open mind and try to learn why people do what they do and think what they think, vs bashing people over the head based on your personal preferences.
Old June 24, 2020, 07:47 PM   #41
tlm225

I'll carry what I chose to carry, everyone else can carry what they chose to carry and we'll all be happy.

And I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of us will die from old age, disease, or accident.
Old June 25, 2020, 01:05 PM   #42
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post
You have to assess the risks of the area you are going to be in, or even areas to stay out of, and equip yourself accordingly. There are many areas, especially in my home town, where I don't feel I need to carry at all. Rather than not carry I grab the NAA and drop it in my pocket. And for the record, I train with the NAA. 22mag speer gold dots, which open reliably and penetrate to FBI standards are nothing to scoff at. Especially given that I can hit a gator aid bottle lid at 7yds with the gun. Just because you personally FEEL that a 15+1 9mm is the bare minimum for you, does not MAKE it the bare minimum, or MAKE it inadequate for everyone else. If you re going to start a topic of conversation i suggest you keep an open mind and try to learn why people do what they do and think what they think, vs bashing people over the head based on your personal preferences.
Here is my risk assessment:
I assess that if I have to defend myself I want at least a Glock 19 in hand.
I've not carried less than a Glock 19 in over 3 years, including summers.

This thread is about my personal preference.
I carry what I would prefer in hand if I had to defend myself, location not factored. Nothing less than a Glock 19 meets that criteria.

Opposite view from mine:
Anticipated threat, statistics, 3/3 something, psychic ability, Magic 8 Ball.
On a quick trip to the store, I'll bet my life on a pocket 380 in case somebody(s) try to kill me.
If I have to go to "indian country" then I bet my life on a 9mm + spare mag (whatever) in case somebody(s) try to kill me.

Between my philosophy versus the opposite, I'd rather err with my "overkill".

I'm not bashing anybody. If you prefer to risk your life on a NAA 22 or nothing, oh well, doesn't impact me.
Old June 25, 2020, 01:15 PM   #43
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
Here is my risk assessment:
I assess that if I have to defend myself I want at least a Glock 19 in hand.
I've not carried less than a Glock 19 in over 3 years, including summers.

This thread is about my personal preference.
I carry what I would prefer in hand if I had to defend myself, location not factored. Nothing less than a Glock 19 meets that criteria.

Opposite view from mine:
Anticipated threat, statistics, 3/3 something, psychic ability, Magic 8 Ball.
On a quick trip to the store, I'll bet my life on a pocket 380 in case somebody(s) try to kill me.
If I have to go to "indian country" then I bet my life on a 9mm + spare mag (whatever) in case somebody(s) try to kill me.

Between my philosophy versus the opposite, I'd rather err with my "overkill".

I'm not bashing anybody. If you prefer to risk your life on a NAA 22 or nothing, oh well, doesn't impact me.

If this thread is just you telling people what you are comfortable with and to heck with anyone else, then why even make it a thread?

Old June 26, 2020, 08:34 AM   #44
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
If this thread is just you telling people what you are comfortable with and to heck with anyone else, then why even make it a thread?

Some people reading the thread may ponder my position and strive to do it themself.
Perhaps they would like to conceal a 1911 / Glock (whatever) and my pics give them ideas on how they can do it.
^Those two reasons is why make it a thread^

Some click this thread and have no intention of carrying what they would carry in an area perceived as greater risk everywhere.
If one is content to bet their life on a 32 acp (or nothing) in one place but want a 9mm in a different place, thats on them. I tried.

Try to convince me to carry a pocket 380 / 38 snub instead of a Glock 19/23/22/35 - complete waste of time, it aint happening.
Old June 26, 2020, 08:58 AM   #45
TunnelRat

I don’t necessarily see it as other people trying to convince you. I see at as them explaining their rationale. To me that’s a completely legitimate use of a forum system. It’s about discussion, not talking at people. The latter is for a blog.

Old June 26, 2020, 02:06 PM   #46
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
I don’t necessarily see it as other people trying to convince you. I see at as them explaining their rationale. To me that’s a completely legitimate use of a forum system. It’s about discussion, not talking at people. The latter is for a blog.

Do you disagree with the philosophy I shared?

Do you carry a "lesser" gun in an area you perceive as "good" but carry something "more" when the anticipated threat is higher?

I think I get the gist of the opposing view:
A threat in a "good" area is anticipated to require "less" ex: a 32 acp to stop ASAP.
A threat in a "bad" area is anticipated to require at least a 9mm (example) to stop ASAP.
Conveniently the criminals, psychos, "bad" (hard to incapacitate) people are not anticipated to visit the "good" area, especially during daylight.

No its not a blog.
Feel free to explain how I would be better off betting my life on a snub 38 / pocket 32/380 rather than a Glock 19/23/22/35/41.
Old June 26, 2020, 02:35 PM   #47
TunnelRat

Carrying "less" in a "good" area. Nope, no thanks.

I don’t disagree with the philosophy. That hasn’t been my point in my last two comments. I don’t think anyone here has tried to convince you that you’ll be better off with a smaller pistol in a smaller caliber, at least that’s not at all my goal. All I see are people explaining their own logic. That’s not them trying to “convert” you.

Someone out there is carrying a Glock 34 and a backup pistol and an AR pistol in a backpack while wearing level IIIA armor. At some level we all make compromises, including yourself. Where we make that compromise is the difference. I get where you’ve chosen to make yours and in reality it’s basically the same as mine. I think it makes sense to share that decision and use it to spur conversation.

However, I don’t know that mocking people with memes if they disagree with you is actually conversation, and that is why I made the forum vs. blog comment. It’s totally your right to do all of this. Is this my definition of reinforcing tactics and training in others? No. If anything my guess is it makes others less inclined to listen and in turn makes me think this isn’t so much about getting others to “strive”, as you put it.

Last edited by TunnelRat; June 26, 2020 at 03:15 PM.
Old June 27, 2020, 12:29 PM   #48
peacefulgary

I can understand a caliber preference: Some folks think that anything less than the 9mm Para simply will not stop a determined attacker.
I understand that line of thought.

What I don't understand is the notion than one needs to carry nothing less than a 15+1 round Glock 19 (probably with an extra magazine) everywhere they go, for self defense.
A Glock 43 9mm Para with 6+1 rounds is probably more than enough.
And it's lighter weight (which equals more comfortable to carry) and easier to conceal than the Glock 19.
Heck, even a 5 shot 9mm snub-nosed revolver is probably more than enough.

I can't see any self defense situation where you're going to need to shoot 16 rounds.

But it's a free nation (mostly), and it's your right to carry as much weight and bulk as you like.
But I think think it shows a real lack of experience and wisdom.
Old June 27, 2020, 12:35 PM   #49
Double K

With the proliferation of camera's there's quite a few video's on the internet of real life self defense situations, if you've never watched them and have been getting your information from gunshop people and hollywood movies it will be enlightening.
Old June 27, 2020, 12:58 PM   #50
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulgary View Post
But I think think it shows a real lack of experience and wisdom.
This is a bridge too far for me. I know a number of people that choose to carry a larger pistol. For them they don’t find it impacts their ability to carry concealed and they like the extra capability. Fair enough. I don’t see how that’s a lack of experience and wisdom, especially as a number of those people do have fairly extensive experience.

Just like I won’t brow beat someone for carrying less than I do, I’m not going to judge them for carrying more.