The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old November 14, 2020, 01:31 PM   #26
44 AMP
Staff

Part of the trick is determining if your "news" IS from different sources. You can get stories from a dozen different places but when they all start with (AP) they aren't from different sources...
Old November 20, 2020, 01:39 AM   #27
Metal god

Well like others have stated it's not easy finding the truth . Special report with Bret Behr I like and I started watching that new program news nation but that's not that good but better then most . The issue seems to me is the main outlets no long investigate the news they put out . There idea of corroboration is they read it somewhere else .

How many times have we heard a show start out with "so and so has an article out stating such and such" . They then go on for an hour talking about something they actual have no knowledge of with a lot of if's , ands or buts . filled with all kinds of maybe's if it's true

What's more amazing to me is , the same statement can be said by different people and the reporting on it is completely different depending on who said it . This is just one of many like this but I remember Trump saying the lock downs helps you spend more quality time with family etc or something like that . He was ripped for claiming he believes that COVID and all the deaths are a good thing for America . Yet just a couple weeks later you hear celebs and other officials saying the same thing and the reporters don't say a word and just go along as if they weren't just ripping someone else for saying the same thing . There's been many instances of this over the last several months .

Admin says we need to open up safely, oh trump doesn't care about older Americans , Fauchi says we need to be careful on opening up and he's a brilliant man that can do no wrong . well except flat out lying to the public about wearing masks .

I really wish I wrote down all the things I read and heard that were virtually the same thing but said by different people and covered completely differently based on who said it . There was even a segment where some guy was quoting RBG but claiming it was a Trump quote to people on the street and many were saying what a terrible quote it was until they found out it was actually a quote from RBG lol . shallow minds want to know

Back to the topic . I find I need to go looking for it and as others have said you need multiple sources saying the same thing . Hmm no wait , based on that way of fact checking If you watched CNN , MSNBC and read the NY times you'd have all the facts you need . yeah were screwed

Interestingly enough , I find my local news much better then the national news .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; November 20, 2020 at 01:46 AM.
Old November 20, 2020, 09:50 AM   #28
ghbucky

Quote:
Interestingly enough , I find my local news much better then the national news .
I used to think that. Until I was streaming a Covid task force briefing on my laptop from CSPAN, while the same briefing was on the TV. Trump answered a question from a reporter and was complaining that the media was censoring him.

Well, I knew that from my laptop stream, because the local news interrupted the briefing and the anchor blabbed about nothing while Trump was complaining about being censored, then they cut back to the briefing for the next reporter's question.

They certainly proved Trump's point!

So, their credibility is gone as well.
Old November 20, 2020, 10:35 AM   #29
Double K

Mainstream media in essence say's the exact same things, were all going to die unless you vote for our guy and orange man bad.
Tucker Carlson on Fox and Steve Bannon on Newsmax or on the net.
Old November 20, 2020, 01:36 PM   #30
Metal god

With all fairness all media must condense an hour long briefing to just a few minutes so I expect to not get all the info . It’s when they infer or flat out make stuff up that bothers me most . But yes I learned years ago on important subjects I must watch the complete hearing , speech or what ever it is . Especially when it comes to court rulings , you really need to follow the cases closely and then actually read the ruling . If not you will never understand what’s going on based on a 2 min news clip , just can’t happen even with the best of media intentions.

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 20, 2020, 05:52 PM   #31
44 AMP
Staff

You might consider it a product of our free market society, our insatiable curiosity and our ever rapidly advancing communication technology.

People have come to expect, and demand that someone tell them everything about everything, do it instantly and preferably before it happens. 24/7/365

And, since that's what we've been trained to want, lots of people are more than happy to sell it to us.

and, since its just basic business to reduce your overhead maximize profit, and doing your own research and fact checking costs both time and money....
you can see the result, 24/7/365...

Do note how many very similar gun designs have come about in the last few decades. OR, for that matter, cars...
Old November 20, 2020, 06:02 PM   #32
Metal god

Deleted

Old November 20, 2020, 07:53 PM   #33
OneFreeTexan

We have a statewide news site online,,mlive....they always claim “we ask the tough questions’
Well, yesterday they put out a story that the state Health Dept imposed a 3 week lockdown, that will probably extend to year end...However nobody asked the Health Dept what the metrics are for re-opening,,, or what numbers they used and are going by.

So much for asking tough questions.
Old November 20, 2020, 08:35 PM   #34
BJung

How many people do you know or have talked to that's caught COVID? I've only talked to two; and older couple that caught it from a relative that works in a hospital. They described their experience of it like the flu when they were kids. For those old enough, do you remember the flu that knocked you on your behind and left you in bed for a week or more? My oldest brother and sister are in their 70s, they run all over the place without a mask. I'm surprised they're still alive but they are. Neither lives in the countryside.
Old November 22, 2020, 11:27 PM   #35
Carmady

President Trump

Sidney Powell

Newsmax TV

Maria Bartiromo
Old November 22, 2020, 11:45 PM   #36
heyjoe

Sidney Powell got fired today
Old November 23, 2020, 04:29 AM   #37
Metal god

Yep Powel fell for a disinformation strategy to make all the presidents election fraud claims look unfounded . It’s a time old strategy to get someone to discredit them selves . Feed them a load of crap you can easily discredit later but with just enough posible truths for them to get hooked . Even easier when it’s what they want and need to hear . The second they start telling everyone about it you come out with your facts crushing there theory and completely discrediting them and anything they recently touched .

Old November 23, 2020, 07:27 AM   #38
Carmady

I doubt if Sidney Powell fell for anything. I suspect that the news of her "firing" is a ploy to to get her enemies to back off. She's probably been getting many very serious threats. The fear in her voice is obvious. I compared some youtube videos of her talking from a year ago to recent videos from last week, and there's a clear difference. She sounds like her voice is about to crack. I'd guess there are many people all over the world with a lot of money who would like to see her doing something else.

It's my understanding that her firing was from being on Trump's personal legal team. Maybe she's now some sort of Federal employee so Trump can legally give her some serious protection? Don't know, but I can believe that a lot easier than I can believe she got fired because they don't want her on the Trump legal team. Time will tell. I hope she's safe.
Old November 23, 2020, 10:29 AM   #39
Metal god

I guess time will tell . She did say quite a few things that were unprovable in any reasonable amount of time or straight false . The American people need facts that are provable with in weeks not years of exhausted investigations . If the next president is sworn in the legal battle is over regardless of who that is , even if 100% proof comes out they are not the legitimate Victor . There is no mechanism to replace them with the legitimate Victor . They can only be impeached which results in their vice president being president . At least that’s my understanding of the constitutional process .

It’s my understanding that the next couple weeks are going to be very interesting as far as legal and constitutional challenges .

Old November 23, 2020, 12:26 PM   #40
wizrd

'NEWS' - totally controlled by media, AND our military. For the closest thing to truth, about news, politics, world affairs, - (from a constitutional viewpoint) - I would suggest a subscription to "The New American". - www.thenewamerican.com
Old November 24, 2020, 10:33 AM   #41
TDL

The traditional news business has undergone a steady and steep contraction for quite some time. While yellow, sensationalist and politically biased newspapers have always been a big part of the picture, it was a phenomena that the serious news outlets were at least embarrassed by. There were taboos against reporters working for campaigns, ever. In fact if your worked in PR, or for any campaign, you tended to have a lifetime exclusion from reporting on that issue, and often from being a reporter at all.

So when a city had one print newspaper there was an effort to be or at least appear politically neutral, even if the ownership and certainly reporters and editors, were not.

With the proliferation of news outlets, which we saw with the advent of TV news, and then 24/7 "cable" news, and nowadays with most people under 40 getting their news from social media, there is an, stunningly for our supposedly enlightened age, intensification of bias through social bubble phenomena. People like to read, hear, watch what confirms their extant views -- and now they can solely do so.

Essentially a) the news business has evolved into a highly partisan product, with the objective data showing a heavy skew left compared to the rest of society. And b) the consumers have in large part become narrow confirmation bias hunters and consumers.

As far as even subject expertise, with the decline of "beats" as areas of expertise, and now almost solely about of having sources as opposed to expertise in the reporters themselves, with those sources having partisan interests the credibility of the news business has rightfully declined.

For example the guns, gun control, gun violence reporter on my local NPR station is the recipient of a large cash grant from a gun control organization (as are scores of "gun expert" reporters across the US through the same program). There stories are as a result highly biased and virtually always contain objective falsehoods as well. In fact since the taboo against revolving door and accepting outside money from directly involved adovacy groups has fallen

With attitudes on the 2A having become more and more partisan (and this is no longer the "thirds rail" but the most partisan, poltical party aligned issue, there is today, one can expect more and more ignorance and disinformation from the press on that subject

As far as my daily news consumption I read the WSJ and the FT. My local paper is owned by Jeff Bezos and staffed entirely by people from one side. I do listen to BBC and NPR on my commute. But I am careful to believe anything since when they cover a subject that you know, you cant help but notice these sober news sources are very often wrong or biased so you have to make that assumption on their coverage of subjects you don't know.

f course most of us over 40 tune to the 24/7 news channels when a major event occurs but are should avoid the "talking heads" since that is just a stable of poltical operatives and position advocates.

Again as far as I can tell most people under 40, and EVERYONE under 30, get virtually all of their news, as well as indoctrination on how to contextualize it, it from their twitter bubble, which is essentially a mob curation or ochlocratic news regime.
Old November 25, 2020, 08:57 PM   #42
RC20

I grew up with men who did not have much education (my dad did not graduate high school, he was in WWII)

My wifes father never finished high school.

I framed houses for a man who did not get past 8th grade.

All the men I grew up with did read, they were intelligent because they worked at it and informed themselves. I did not alwyas agree with my wife's father, but we had great discussion (at age 45 he to signed up to serve in WWII)

My Framing boss? He could lay out half a floor on a large house from memory. He and his wife did the NYT cross word puzzle. Yea, he was an Oakie, but 8th grade or not, he was a smarter than I was.

Is the media right? Often less than right than they don't understand how things work, the data is weak. The generality is reasonably accurate. How many of you know how to fix an Automatic Transfer Switch?

But, like those men I grew up with, I worked at it. You can sort it out. You just have to work at it. You want to be spoon fed? Then no, you are lost.

Funny what those old farts over came and accomplished without the possibilities I had when I was able to graduate high school. I was only held back by my failing to take opportunities that were there.

I never complained about it either. Others had it much worse. I am sorry for those who have it worse and did not even have the opportunities I had.

I told my Uncle one time I was amazed at what he got through (Bastogne with the 101st) which says more than enough. His response was, I am amazed we did it as well, I can't tell you how we did it now, but we did.

Sorting through the news? Not so hard. Ask those men about WWII, hard does not begin to describe it.
Old November 25, 2020, 10:43 PM   #43
Metal god

RC20 , I know what you mean . I’ve always believed that although I’m not book smart , I’m far ftom unintelligent. Oh how I wish I was just as curious back then as I am now about things , I’d be a hell of a lot smarter now but when I was younger I simply was not a very curious person . If it worked I did not care how or why . I’m now pretty much the opposite to the point I want to know how everything works even if it doesn’t matter to the overall result .

Old November 27, 2020, 12:59 PM   #44
Carmady

Dominion VP, Eric Coomer, took it on the lam.

Kracken: 1

Bad Guys: 0
Old November 27, 2020, 10:05 PM   #45
Colorado Redneck

The lunatic fringe is the only source of that statement. Sorry, unsubstantiated statements like that aren't doing anything but riling up some of us.

Quote:
Dominion VP, Eric Coomer, took it on the lam.
Old November 27, 2020, 11:40 PM   #46
Metal god

Lol I didn’t even know what that was supposed to mean .

Old November 28, 2020, 06:05 AM   #47
Carmady

"The lunatic fringe is the only source of that statement. Sorry, unsubstantiated statements like that aren't doing anything but riling up some of us."

Coomer is nowhere to be found (unless something changed), along with 100 or so other Dominion employees who have also cancelled their social media profiles.

I don't know what riled you up, unless you misunderstood what I said, or maybe you think rigged elections are a good idea.
Old November 28, 2020, 01:35 PM   #48
Colorado Redneck

I don't suppose it's possible that Dominion employees are on the receiving end of death threats. Whenever credible evidence is presented that this election was rigged, we should all support investigating it. So far, nada. Just innuendo and conspiracy rumors.
Old November 28, 2020, 03:00 PM   #49
Metal god

Quote:
Whenever credible evidence is presented that this election was rigged, we should all support investigating it. So far, nada.
To be fair here , all real investigations are being blocked . You need to do a real investigation to find the problems you suspect as being wrong . If there was hard evidence they would not be asking to look deeper , they would be demanding a new election .

I personally have issue with the signatures , why you ask . Because I signed my voter card 30+ years ago and purposefully changed my signature about 15 or 20 years ago to be easier and quicker to sign .

I've never voted by mail until this year which means my signature has never needed to be verified . I'm 100% confident that my signature this year looked nothing like the one they used to verify , so did my vote count and if it did why , it shouldn't have based on the checks and balances I was told were in place to make sure election fraud would not take place .

Oh and there's the small mater of them sending me two ballets to my home in my name .

Which means in theory I could have voted 3 times . While on my way to voting in person I could have dropped the two mail in ballots into the mail box . Nobody could have proved who sent the mail in ballots because the signatures would not match anyways . At one point I thought about mailing both ballots in with the exact opposite votes as each other and let then figure out which was the real ballot lol . Of course I did not commit any voter fraud but with out even trying I could have disenfranchised two other voters . Wonder what one could do with just a bit of effort ????

Also why does the number of discrepancies need to be enough to overturn the election to look into the problem further . Does anyone believe if they found 1k problems they were the only problems there were ? That logic is flawed in many ways . It would be like me thinking since I'm the only one that I know for sure that got two ballots in the mail . I must be the only one in my state to get two ballots . Now I get it , If I come forward and say I received two ballots "you must stop everything " That's absurd but when there are thousands here and thousands there . How is that not at least worth a deeper dive ? I forget which state but they have had historically about a 1.5 to 2% rejection rate of mail in ballots but this year they had less then a 1% rejection rate . Simple logic says that can't be true . With all the extra mail in ballots some how there are less problems not more especially with all the first time mail in voters ? Not only did most of the people that usually screw up there ballots didn't , all the new people didn't either ???? No there is NO PROOF there but again if there was proof they would not be asking to look harder at the problem they'd want a new election .

I did not vote for either major candidate but I do have serous questions about our voting systems and how they are done . In all actuality until trump came along and all the federal investigations . I thought the FBI and CIA and others were totally legit and above political influences . Yes yes I knew there was a wink here and a nod there once and awhile but to find out what high ranking officials were saying under oath behind closed doors was the exact opposite as what they were saying on the news shows gives me great concern so please don't tell me there's nothing here because some high ranking official says so on CNN .

As messed up as Sydney Powell is on this election stuff , Would we have ever known how bad Flinn got railroaded by the very country he spent a life time defending if it weren't for her and her team ? Thank god he got new council half way through or the truth would have never come out . OMG and don't get me started on judge Sullivan

Only time will tell if Trump was the best or worst thing to ever happen to this country . However I'd bet there is not one of us here that doesn't have there eyes open more then they ever did before Trump came along .

Last edited by Metal god; November 28, 2020 at 05:48 PM.
Old November 28, 2020, 03:41 PM   #50
OneFreeTexan

My bartender,,,, yes, I believe everything she says when she takes a deep breath,,,Hmmm, wonder what color her eyes are??

Oh, yeah, and Uncle Charley’s barber.
Closed Thread