Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: How do you pack?
Open Carry 17 10.69%
Concealed Carry 142 89.31%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 18, 2007, 10:09 AM   #151
ghalleen

Quote:
See I thought the same thing too. But actually my gun sits tight where I put it between my belt/pants..and every night I run a mile and a half, and the gun never falls out. Plus I guess this is where the grip safty comes in handy on my XD!

Everyone, if you carry like this, don't forget the most important thing... Be sure an wipe really well when you go to the bathroom. It's no sense making your expensive firearm smell like crap.
Old October 18, 2007, 10:25 AM   #152
MyXD40

I don't understand..is it really THAT hard? Has anyone tried it? I mean I'm no rocket scientest, but uhh perhaps you should tighten your belt, then force a gun between your belt and pants..

I'll get a picture tonight. And some video, altho I dont have someone to follow me with the camera to run after me, I'll set the camera on the table, and jump up and down, run in one spot, and shake my hips around..

we'll see who has the last laugh
Old October 18, 2007, 10:32 AM   #153
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

FWIW, I carried a 1911 in an old-days, 1980-vintage IPSC leather holster. Strong side, just behind my hip point. With a sport jacket it was never "profiled". For drawing quickly, Bill Jordan demonstrated his abilities quite often. Good learning place, his writings...

Same sort of thing for concealed carry of a LW Commander, but with no holster. Same location as above. Square-tailed sport shirt, worn loose. I emceed many a night from stage in my nightclub, and nobody ever spotted that I was carrying.

As for open carry speed vs. concealed carry speed, there seems to be at least a half a tenth of a second advantage to open carry. Maybe a full tenth. Head to head, that's a bunch.

Art
Old October 18, 2007, 09:20 PM   #154
03Shadowbob

Quote:
I suggest however that you put a few thousand more rounds through that .40 as I feel my extra 15 yrs of Maturity and actual LE and Military experience gives me an unfair advantage
Silentarmy,
Your statement does not impress too many folks here I bet. Just because you were or are LE and or military says nothing about your ability to shoot well. You could be a crime scene investigator. You could have been a clerk in the military. I agree with a lot of what you have wrote here but I'd keep those types of comments out of any debate or argument as they don't hold much merit in and of themselves.
Old October 18, 2007, 09:36 PM   #155
Ruthless4christ

thats right

THats right Art, 1911 no hoster is the way to go. very hard to spot it may not be to comfy to jog in, but it is very possible( i do it all the time) and there is no holster that can compare to the lack of outline when not using a holster.
Old October 19, 2007, 12:41 AM   #156
BluesBear

Location: Mill Creek, Washington (The Great Pacific NorthWet)
I have, on occasion, carried a Colt Commander tucked inside my belt. But only for a very short period. It's too easy to have it shift around. Certainly not good enough for running. That's why tha Yaqui (sometimes spelled Yaki) Slide holster was devised. It gives the gun a small anchor point.

I have also carried a single action revolver tucked i nside my waistband with the loading gate open to prevent it from sliding down.

And I agree that both methods make it very easy to conceal rather large handguns. However if I plan on doing any sort of normal physical activity I want something that holds the gun a little more secure. I want a holster that is comfortable, concealable and secure.

I learned the lesson of cheap holsters a long time ago when, right in the middle of a foot chase, I had a Walther PPK start jumping around inside my windbreaker like a scared squirrel.

There are plenty of good holsters available that will make concealment easier. The problem is finding the one that works the best for YOU. All too often people choose a holster (that's doesn't work as well) based on what someone else says instead finding the ones that fit their needs best.
Sometimes it's not an easy process. Right now I only have about 30 holsters. I recently got rid of a couple of dozen that I didn't use anymore. Most of us older guys either have or used to have the dreaded Box'O'Holsters.

The "Fashion Calibers" seem to come and go but when all is said and done everybody comes back to the forty-five.
(Chris Curino - Kimber Mfg. Co.)

Old October 19, 2007, 03:50 AM   #157
ooreach

Location: Earth, American Continent, America, Ohio, Summit County, Near Cleveland
I think one thing to consider, for myself, is concealed vs concealed, open vs open, open vs concealed and already armed BG vs concealed or open... agressor will always have the advantage as that is why they are agressor. If the bad guys is packin and showing (open carry) he's given his position away. My biggest fear is walking into a BG with gun already drawn. Situational awareness may help, but Murphy's Law is still around.
The only advantage I have is to hide my being armed until it is needed, life or death, last second. In Ohio it's hands down Concealed Carry.
Old October 23, 2007, 02:01 PM   #158
JesseL

I have open carried a lot, for many years, and the most negative consequence I have experienced was a few slightly hostile words from an ignorant old man. As someone else said further up the thread, "people around here find open carry as offensive as the American Flag."
  • I have never had my gun snatched or had anyone attempt to do so.
  • I have never had the police called, much less been tackled by police officers.
  • I have never heard anyone scream in terror at the sight of an exposed weapon.
  • I have never been asked to leave any establishment.
  • I have never been the first one targeted in a robbery.

Conversely I have had numerous positive experiences precipitated by open carry.
  • I have had several positive and polite conversations (mostly in checkout lines) about the legality of carry, open and concealed.
  • I have had several compliments on my carry piece.
  • I have had many police officers give me a polite smile and nod.
  • I have had at least one person comment that my family looked very well protected.
  • I have had many sketchy looking people begin to approach me, notice my sidearm, and decide they had other places to be.

My experiences are the norm for people who open carry in this area. If you feel that open carry is stupid or looking for trouble, please consider my real world experience in the matter before you berate my actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cooper
Strange at it may seem to our over-civilized friends throughout the world, it still warms our heart to see pistols worn openly in the check lines of supermarkets in Prescott. Sad to say most of the exemplars may properly be characterized as geezers, but then Prescott has always qualified as a geezer town - that is one reason why we moved here.
Old October 23, 2007, 02:19 PM   #159
ooreach

Location: Earth, American Continent, America, Ohio, Summit County, Near Cleveland
Jessel,
wow, I envy you, or should I say your state. Ohio has had CW for only 3 years...I remember because my 4 year license is up next year I wish I could say my state is so progressive, but lordy lordy...I know how one suburb would respond to an open carry call in a retail enviroment " 911 what is your emergency." "theres a man in here, with a gun." mabey in another generation it won't be that way.