The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 28, 2021, 05:14 PM   #1
pgb205

kansas out of state ccw how to get

Some of the states I want to travel to do not recognize my state's permit. But they do for kansas ccw. but on ks ag page they have only one application
https://ag.ks.gov/licensing/concealed-carry

Is that what I need to fill out as a non-resident. ie same form for everyone?
anything else that I need to submit as a non-resident?
Old December 28, 2021, 08:07 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I don't think Kansas issues non-resident permits. I found this on the Handgunlaw.us web site:

Quote:
Kansas issues Non Resident Permit/Licenses to Active Duty Military Personnel and their dependants stationed in Kansas. If you are active military or the dependant of active military and stationed in Kansas even though you have residence in another state you can apply for a Kansas Permit/License to carry. Apply the same as a resident. Information on Military Personnel from the KS AG.
Jeepaholic
Old December 29, 2021, 12:29 PM   #3
Shadow9mm

Some states do not issue non resident forms. I have heard Florida does.
Old December 29, 2021, 08:55 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Florida definitely issues non-resident permits -- I have one. At the time I first got mine, Florida was THE preferred permit to have, because it was recognized by more states than any other permit. I believe that title now belongs to Utah, but Florida isn't too shabby.

But, indeed, a number of states do not issue non-resident permits. To find out, I suggest consulting www.handgunlaw.us -- Gary Slider (who is a member here) does an excellent job of keeping the site up to date. Look up any state, find the contact telephone number and/or e-mail address for the agency that issues permits, and contact them directly to ask if they issue non-resident permits.
Jeepaholic
Old December 30, 2021, 11:10 AM   #5
Gary Slider

pgb205

Go to the link below. All States that issue to Non-Residents Permits are listed. The list also shows what states honor that states Non-Resident Permit. Some of those states listed are very difficult to obtain a Non-Resident permit from. I just listed all states that issue.
https://handgunlaw.us/documents/NonResidentPermits.pdf
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Old December 30, 2021, 03:51 PM   #6
WyMark

Holy cow, what a rabbit hole. After an hour plus of searching and reading I think I'm going to plan an RV trip to western ND for the required training and testing, and then apply for a non-resident ND permit. That would give me two states that I don't currently have but would like to have, MN and WA.

Plus I could visit Theodor Roosevelt NP while I'm up there. And big thanks to Gary and handgunlaw.us for the valuable info and links, as always. I keep the WY and CO pdf's on my phone, and also have UT and NM saved as well as I've visited them over the past year or two. Awesome resource.
Old January 2, 2022, 07:40 PM   #7
pgb205

Specifically my situation is
I am a resident of Florida and would want to travel to NV with my pistol.
From my research NV does NOT recognize FL CCW. From reading of the links provided(thank you) I'd want a permit that NV recognizes but also something I can do using internet/mail. ND looks like a candidate but in order to get their permit I'd literally have to travel there and do the tests(they dont recognize out of state courses) and also visit police in person.
Old January 2, 2022, 08:12 PM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

According to www.handgunlaw.us , Nevada recognizes Utah. There are Utah-qualified instructors in most states. I live a couple of thousand miles from Utah, and I can take the Utah class (by appointment) at my local range.

Further: It appears that Nevada recognizes only the North Dakota Class 1 license. To get a Class 1 license, you have to first get a Class 2 license, then go through another class, take a written test, and then shoot a qualifier. AND ... you have to requalify every time you renew. This doesn't sound like a great deal, in my humble opinion.
Jeepaholic
Old January 2, 2022, 10:03 PM   #9
WyMark

Quote:
To get a Class 1 license, you have to first get a Class 2 license, then go through another class, take a written test, and then shoot a qualifier.
That isn't how I am reading it:

Quote:
The minimum eligibility requirements are:

A United States citizen or legal permanent resident alien; AND
Legally able to possess a firearm/dangerous weapon; AND
Age 18 for a Class 2 license, or age 21 for a Class 1 license; AND
A resident of North Dakota; OR on full-time active military duty stationed in ND; OR a resident of a state that has reciprocity with ND and who possesses a valid concealed weapon license in their home state; AND
Successfully complete the training requirements, AND
No disqualifying offenses. A criminal background check is conducted on every new and renewal applicant. If you have been convicted of any alcohol-related offense within the past three years, you are ineligible for a Class 1 license but may apply for a Class 2 license.
The BCI cannot determine whether you are eligible for a Class 1 license in advance of completing the application processing procedures.
Yes, in five years I'll have to go back to ND and do the one day test/qualify again, but I'm in Wyoming and it's not all that far to go. And I'll be 65 next year, so I'm not going to be making that trip that many more times, but I'd be Ok with having to do it half a dozen times I guess.
Old January 2, 2022, 10:07 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyMark
Quote:
To get a Class 1 license, you have to first get a Class 2 license, then go through another class, take a written test, and then shoot a qualifier.
That isn't how I am reading it:
You may be right.

It still seems impractical for a trip to Las Vegas. If the OP can find a Utah instructor close to home, that seems like a more practical solution.
Jeepaholic
Old January 2, 2022, 10:25 PM   #11
WyMark

Sorry, you are correct that is what the OP needs.

I was only referring to my WA and MN reciprocity. It's something I've thought about but hadn't really researched until this thread, and realize that I can get a ND class 1 permit and have both. Hence the "rabbit hole" comment in my earlier post.
Old January 3, 2022, 01:53 AM   #12
Aguila Blanca
Staff

There are Utah-certified instructors in Florida:

https://bci.utah.gov/wp-content/uplo...t-of-State.pdf
Jeepaholic
Old March 20, 2022, 09:01 PM   #13
pgb205

link appears to be dead @aguillablanca
Old March 20, 2022, 11:49 PM   #14
ballardw

https://bci.utah.gov/wp-content/uplo...t-of-State.pdf

Note the year in this link. Apparently updated about 5 days ago (posting on March 20).
Old March 21, 2022, 12:11 AM   #15
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Thank you for the updated link, ballardw
Jeepaholic

Tags
ccw , permit