The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 5, 2021, 09:58 AM   #1
mrt949

Are you an impulse buyer pistols holsters

We have all done it .Man I must have that .Then you find out CRAP I don't like it. What do you do next .Keep ,sell,trade or give it as a gift. Firearms are a magnet .
Old June 5, 2021, 10:40 AM   #2
eflyguy

No.
Old June 5, 2021, 11:24 AM   #3
RETG

No!
I give MY OPINION (not often) based on many years shooting at, other than paper targets. I will not debate my experience vs. your experience based on dreams and "what ifs." I'm 73; I'm too damn old to care.
Old June 5, 2021, 12:29 PM   #4
BarryLee

No, I generally do some research via articles, forums and YouTube before I buy. Now, even with that I still end up with a few that just don't work out.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old June 5, 2021, 12:32 PM   #5
CajunBass

I am. I'll see something and take a liking to it. It doesn't help that my wife is usually right beside me telling me "Get it if you want it." Of course most of what I buy are used guns that come in at random times, so I check with the LGS every few days. In my experience if I see something I might want, I better at least put a "hold" on it, because it won't be there by the time I go to the men's room and come back. The Smith and Wesson revolver guys are brutal around here. They keep blocking me from getting to the front of the crowd.

If I end up with something I don't like, or more likely I see something else I want, I won't hesitate to sell/trade something.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old June 5, 2021, 01:21 PM   #6
kenny53

Depends on the day and how much money I have. I would guess my last three guns were impulse buying but the holsters were well thought out.
Old June 5, 2021, 01:25 PM   #7
Hawg

Yeah, I'm an impulse buyer. I go to the gun shop to see what calls out to me. I can't say I ever bought one I didn't like or was somebody else's problem. I've bought a few I was disappointed in. I went to the gun shop awhile back and they had same used Browning 1911 22's. I looked at a few of them but they were so little I said nah. After I got home I couldn't quit thinking about them so I said the hell with it and went and bought one. The thing shoots a lot further to the right than I'd like it to but it's still a fun gun and I'm keeping it.
Old June 5, 2021, 08:06 PM   #8
RickB

I used to impulse buy holsters on ebay, because I'm a lefty and there's often little competition. When you spend $20 on a couple of $100 holsters, impulsiveness can be more like opportunity.
Old June 6, 2021, 01:49 AM   #9
Moonglum

Nope
Old June 6, 2021, 06:12 AM   #10
lunger

Put me in the yes category.

40 years ago I started looking for a comfortable, concealable ,holster with good retention . I am still looking.
Old June 6, 2021, 07:43 AM   #11
44caliberkid

Mos def yes! That's how I got a Colt Python, Coonan 357, Remington 600, 350 Mag with laminated stock, KelTec Sub2000, and a 38 Super Colt Commander in satin nickel. Still have two, three have been sold. The KelTec was just because it was so cheap, guy needed money, I'd never even heard of it.
Old June 6, 2021, 01:35 PM   #12
dgludwig

Most people that I know who have several types of handguns (sa and da revolvers, an asunder list of autos, single-shots, etc) that are used for several kinds of endeavors (EDC, hunting, plinking/target, tactical competition, etc.) have what is affectionally known as the "holster drawer"). I have two.
Old June 6, 2021, 10:12 PM   #13
Eddiejoe

Yeah. For years I'd buy any Star M-series or Firestar that I could get. Not one of them ran right, but I kept telling myself that next time, it would be different!
Old June 7, 2021, 08:14 AM   #14
rwilson452

No, No, No.
Old June 7, 2021, 09:38 AM   #15
mrt949

I am the OP I am guilty if it looks good feel good I will take a chance .
Just like WOMEN .
You never know if you have a keeper .
Happily married 30 YRS .
Old June 7, 2021, 10:19 AM   #16
rodfac

Nope...I make my own... Rod

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old June 7, 2021, 10:31 AM   #17
ss1/G8RFAN

Whoops, read the question wrong. Bought shoulder and ankle rigs that I never liked. Bought an amazing safariland rig for my Sig P320 M17 w/ tactical light and then decided to throw on a Sig1Pro on it and well.....

Last edited by ss1/G8RFAN; June 7, 2021 at 10:39 AM.
Old June 7, 2021, 11:07 AM   #18
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss1/G8RFAN View Post
Whoops, read the question wrong. Bought shoulder and ankle rigs that I never liked. Bought an amazing safariland rig for my Sig P320 M17 w/ tactical light and then decided to throw on a Sig1Pro on it and well.....
I did too. Totally missed the holster part. Now with those I'm not an impulse buyer.
Old June 7, 2021, 01:36 PM   #19
Pistoler0

I am.
I just bought one a second ago. I wanted a leather holster with a claw for a Witness Polymer Compact, but the manufacturer I like does not make one. However they make one for the Beretta 92 X Compact which is the same size as the Witness. So I bought it without being 100% sure it fits.
Old June 7, 2021, 07:56 PM   #20
AzShooter

I make my own these days after I buy a gun that I like. I do have a drawer full of old holsters I've bought over the years. Many were nice at the time but I had different needs.
Old June 8, 2021, 10:11 AM   #21
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt949 View Post
We have all done it .Man I must have that .Then you find out CRAP I don't like it. What do you do next .Keep ,sell,trade or give it as a gift. Firearms are a magnet .
Impulse purchase? Sometimes. I usually don't have the money.

And, through many iterations I have found that actually getting what I got a temporary hankering for, often doesn't satisfy. Usually doesn't.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old June 9, 2021, 01:53 AM   #22
Drm50

No, I’m a holster snob. Don’t like fancy stuff or died leather. Same on handguns. If it’s S&W and good deal or scarce, color it gone because I will buy it. I keep P&R era or older but will buy newer for trade bait.
Old June 9, 2021, 08:38 AM   #23
stuckinthe60s

many say no. i say no. but many are pushed by advertising and buy on impulse unaware.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old June 9, 2021, 08:20 PM   #24
TunnelRat

For holsters? No. I generally read reviews for at least a week if not two before buying anything. Many years ago I was given the advice to wait on a purchase for at least a week. If you still cared after a week it likely wasn’t just a flight of fancy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 9, 2021, 09:56 PM   #25
dgludwig

The trouble lots of times with holsters is that reading reviews isn't the same thing as "trying them on" and, for most of us, all the holsters we've read about and might be interested in just aren't available to try for fit and applicability at our local gun shops; no matter the "wait and see" strategy. Ergo, the "holster drawer".