The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 1, 2021, 05:37 AM   #1
lunger

Magnetic Handgun Mounts

Possible stupid question coming .

I am thinking of using one of those magnetic mounts for a nightstand gun. The one I purchased has tremendous holding power. I mean a Glock will jump to it from an inch away and it takes considerable force to remove it.

This is perfect for my use. Mounted under the top of the nightstand it holds it out of sight and easily accessible. I have no children in the house.

Now for the stupid part. Could the long term effect of these powerful magnets have an effect on function?

Could parts of a gun become magnetized somehow causing it to be less reliable? I am thinking about how a screwdriver can be magnetized by drawing it across a magnet.
Old January 1, 2021, 10:36 AM   #2
jonnyc

I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Old January 1, 2021, 10:49 AM   #3
cslinger

I cannot speak to first hand experience nor can I speak to it with a semi auto.

That said I know somebody who has used them for, Lord like 30-40 years now, mounting revolvers and there has been no adverse side effects. The magnets do feel like they could earn near lift you off the ground.
Old January 1, 2021, 12:07 PM   #4
unit 900

I friend of mine with MS has one for her 1911. She shoots that pistol better than the S&W 640 her hubby has. She uses the magnetic mount to help her cycle the slide. The extra gripping surface adds mechanical advantage to her efforts. She loves it.
Old January 1, 2021, 12:14 PM   #5
DMK

I use magnets out of old computer hard drives. Those things are really strong and will hold a fully loaded CZ-75 no problem.

I've used them for years with no issues.
Old January 1, 2021, 12:15 PM   #6
Pahoo

For now, no fixing is required

Quote:
Now for the stupid part. Could the long term effect of these powerful magnets have an effect on function?
Not stupid at all, just one that I have never thought of. These holder are very powerful magnets that in time, will decay. In a former life, I have seen this problem on other devices. I know that there is an effect, on watches and meter movemets. You don't need differential movement to have this happen. I think that long-term use, could be a problem but so far, little or no proof of this happening, on handguns. ........

If and when it "might" happen, you can always use a Degausser to restore the handgun. Going to be an interesting experience. .....

Might add that I don't use these or know of anyone who does. .......

Be Safe !!!
Old January 1, 2021, 01:56 PM   #7
Mike38

I would think that over time, the pistol itself would become slightly magnetic. Then it would hold small metal fines. But if you have metal fines coming from your pistol, you may want to consider some lubricant.
Old January 1, 2021, 05:37 PM   #8
lunger

Well mounted it under the night stand and placed a Glock 23. Not overly concerned just something that I wondered about.

I will routinely check for function as usual . As long as my ammo holds out.

If any problems occur I will post.
Old January 1, 2021, 06:18 PM   #9
DaleA

I'm pretty sure your gun will be fine just remember the magnet is there and don't leave your computer floppy disks on top of the nightstand.
Old January 1, 2021, 06:56 PM   #10
TXAZ

I have a couple.
The biggest problem I see is if a kid / crazy / bad guy finds it, as it’s substantially less secure than in a biometric safe in the same location.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 2, 2021, 09:05 AM   #11
dontcatchmany

I have two of them (can not remember the maker's name). For several years I have used them with great success.

One is mounted on a cabinet drawer in one of my sheds and the other is mounted in my truck.

No problems.
Old January 2, 2021, 12:25 PM   #12
FAS1

My biggest concern is the possibility of grabbing the trigger, especially at night with the adrenaline flowing. My HD guns are always chambered.
Old January 2, 2021, 06:43 PM   #13
Bill DeShivs

A simple bent metal rod works just fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4665.JPG (60.1 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4664.JPG (77.7 KB, 94 views)
Old January 3, 2021, 06:12 AM   #14
ms6852

I worked with powerful electromagnetic magnets I did MRI’s.

The amount of magnetization that will occur with the firearm will be very minimal. The magnetic force will be insignificant and may be only strong enough to lift a paper clip. Not enough to affect the sliding function of a semi auto or a cylinder in the revolver. Also the gun will lose its magnetic force quickly.
Old January 3, 2021, 06:58 AM   #15
hemiram

I've had magnet mounts next to my bed and under my desk for many years and have never seen any problems with the two guns hanging on them. My friend has a shotgun that's been held up by magnets for about 20 years and his son recently took it out and fired it for the first time in decade and it had zero issues.
Old January 3, 2021, 11:55 AM   #16
lunger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
My biggest concern is the possibility of grabbing the trigger, especially at night with the adrenaline flowing. My HD guns are always chambered.

This is a legitimate concern with any loaded firearm in this situation no mater how it is stored.
Old January 3, 2021, 02:58 PM   #17
Bill DeShivs

Don't put any mechanical-movement watch near it!
Old January 3, 2021, 04:21 PM   #18
lunger

Good point . I have sometimes set my watch on that night stand.
Old January 4, 2021, 11:26 AM   #19
FAS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunger View Post
This is a legitimate concern with any loaded firearm in this situation no mater how it is stored.
I would disagree since my HD handgun is quickly accessible and impossible to grab the trigger.

Old January 4, 2021, 11:52 AM   #20
Doyle

Quote:
I'm pretty sure your gun will be fine just remember the magnet is there and don't leave your computer floppy disks on top of the nightstand.
Dale brings up a good point - if you use this type of arrangement on a night stand then don't put a laptop on top of it. What about other electronic devices like a Kindle or cell phone? Aren't those adversely affected by magnets too?

I like the idea of a readily accessible firearm held by magnets but I'd want to make sure those magnets aren't in a position to harm any electronics that I might be wanting to use while in bed.
Old January 4, 2021, 04:24 PM   #21
lunger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
I would disagree since my HD handgun is quickly accessible and impossible to grab the trigger.

That is a nice setup But I would not say impossible It still must be drawn maybe half a sleep, in the dark , with the adrenalin pumping.

My point was any firearm you reach for in that situation must be done with caution
Old January 4, 2021, 06:51 PM   #22
FAS1

With a gun holstered I would say impossible when drawing the gun. After that, it's all the same when the gun is in hand, but that's not the concern.

You could use one of these with your magnet and it would be impossible to grab the trigger in the dark. Still works one handed when you secure the string to the nightstand.

Old January 4, 2021, 10:07 PM   #23
big al hunter

I have heard that strong magnets can erase credit cards too. Not sure how strong it has to be. Best keep your wallet away from the magnets too.
Old January 5, 2021, 08:05 AM   #24
Doyle

Quote:
I have heard that strong magnets can erase credit cards too. Not sure how strong it has to be. Best keep your wallet away from the magnets too.
Isn't the strip on the back of credit/debit cards magnetically encoded? Good thought.
Old January 6, 2021, 09:26 AM   #25
GeauxTide

Complicating the Obvious

I don't have any kids in the house. My 1911 sits on the nightstand in Condition 1. In the morning, it goes in the drawer. With my arthritic hands, I don't want any resistance. Secondly, most magnetic devices require a certain angle of pull to break the connection and I don't want that challenge coming out of a dead sleep. The only muscle memory I want is framing the shot and depressing the trigger.