The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 4, 2001, 06:46 PM   #1
Gary H

Brownell's web site describes this item as:

"GRA-COIL ADJUSTABLE LENGTH OF PULL - Quickly gives up to 3/4" adjustment for length of pull plus drop and cast adjustments. Improves stock fit to accommodate different shooting styles. Provides correct fit when wearing heavy or light clothing. Allows two shooters to use the same gun with equal comfort."

I'm looking to fit an O/U 20 gauge to my 4'9" wife and now I see the perfect solution. Of course, it looks a bit strange and it is longer than the stock, but does it work? It seems to me that should this allow for small adjustments in fit, everyone should be using it. So, there must be problems unseen, such as adjustment creep, or just peer pressure. I don't know. Anyone know the skinny on this adjustable butt plate?

Here is some additional info:

http://www.graco-corp.com/gracoil.htm

Old June 5, 2001, 07:25 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Gary, while I've fit a bunch of stocks to folks of smaller stature I haven't used this particular product. I think it would be much less expensive to have the stock on the gun or a youth dimensioned stock fit to her. If you are doing this yourself I can send you a "lesson" from my old correspondence course on stock fitting. It's time consuming but fairly straigtforward. George
Old June 5, 2001, 06:48 PM   #3
Gary H

George:

Thanks for your reply. Frankly, your reply was one more than I expected to get. My motivation in finding an alternative fitting method was partly financial. I was expecting to pay at least five-hundred dollars to have Amy fit. Of course, this included some shooting pointers. I thought that this product would allow me to slowly refine the fit while she worked on her mount. Also, the spring loaded recoil device works much like the Hogue Comp-Stock that I have on my 870. I like the Comp-stock. If you can send me a self-instruction with regards to fitting that would be welcome. After researching shotgun fit, I have come to realize that few of my rifles really fit.
Old June 6, 2001, 08:22 AM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Gary, I'll get that out to you later today. If I forget don't hesitate to e-mail me a reminder. The memory is the first thing to go... or is it the second. I don't know I can't remember. :-)George
Old June 6, 2001, 10:14 AM   #5
Gary H

Sounds good!

I'm in my late forties and find that I'm having to tie a string around my finger. My dad stopped taking Ginko because he couldn't remember to do the deed.

Anyway, will carefully read and apply. Thanks Again.

Gary
Old June 8, 2001, 04:18 PM   #6
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Gary, you have my apologies for sending all that in one e-mail. I just didn't know it would take as long. It's been sending for over an hour and it's only about halfway gone. I'm hoping that your server will reject it so I can break it down into sections. Again I'm sorry. George
Old June 8, 2001, 07:27 PM   #7
Gary H

George, I had no idea that it was so large a file. My provider limits me to 5 MBytes. I always send big files by MSN Messenger Service. Maybe you should put it on your web site and charge a small fee for download to pay for the bandwidth. I'm really impressed that you have made such an effort. TFL has been a really great experience for me. I even found folks that I believe that I can trust. That's a big step. Thanks George.. sorry about the rejected Email.
Old June 10, 2001, 12:41 AM   #8
Gary H

Thanks George

Your fitting instructions were clear and to the point. I now understand how the various stock dimensions influence the point of aim. Thanks Again..
Old June 10, 2001, 06:07 AM   #9
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Gary, you're more than welcome. Thank you for the puter lessons. George
Old June 12, 2001, 05:46 PM   #10
Gary H

Now for the Pad

George:

You have got me going. Now, I actually believe that I can fit a shotgun. I accept errors along the way.

I went to Home Depot and picked-up a belt/rotary table sander and just ordered a Kick-eez Clays pad and 1/2" extension. I'm taking an approach that allows for cosmetic errors. I'm going to lengthen and pad my synthetic 1100. I'm planning on mounting the pad and extension first and then sanding and polishing the assembled pad-extension-stock. I would not take this approach on a finished wood stock, but I've got a low class, bare a_s black plastic stock. I've read previous posts regarding the use of masking tape on the stock.

I've got a few questions:

1. What is the order of sanding grit?
2. When do you use a belt and when a rotary?
3. How do you get a nice finish?
4. The OEM pad has a recessed pad base that fits into the stock. Do you usually try to duplicate this feature, or do you just leave the stock side of the extension piece flat?
Old June 13, 2001, 07:20 AM   #11
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Gary, I started to answer this here and realized I'd be writing a book so I'm going to send you some info that should answer all your questions. George
Old June 13, 2001, 09:20 AM   #12
Gary H

George:

Isn't anything simple? I thought that I was asking a question that was easily answered. I didn't intend upon burdening you with a long answer. Sorry George.
Old June 24, 2001, 11:57 AM   #13
Gary H

Thanks Again George

Finished and LOOKS GREAT!
Old June 25, 2001, 06:48 AM   #14
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Congrats, Gary. How about a how to thread up on the Shotgun Forum? Pics would be nice but I bet lots of folks would like to hear about this from a newbie POV.

Thanks....