The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 24, 2017, 01:17 AM   #1
TruthTellers

How hot are we loading our .45 Colt Ruger Redhawks these days?

Per: https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=147679

CAUTION: The following thread includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

I was shooting my reloads at the range the other day using a near max charge of Unique under a 250 grain lead bullet in my .45 Colt/.45 ACP Redhawk and I felt the recoil was very tolerable.

And it got me to wondering: how hot can I load the Redhawk up to?

There's some debate about whether or not the Redhawk can take what the Blackhawk can in hot .45 Colt loads and I'm of the opinion that the Redhawk can take anything the Blackhawk can.

Anyboy wanna back me up on that statement?
Old September 24, 2017, 09:13 AM   #2
black mamba

I have always heard the Redhawk was at least as strong as the Blackhawk, so no problem at all with the same loads.
Old September 24, 2017, 07:54 PM   #3
alexcue

I wouldn’t have a doubt about how hot a load the Redhawk can take but with the small grip, it’s my hand that can’t take it any more.
Old September 25, 2017, 06:31 PM   #4
roashooter

Quote:
Anyboy wanna back me up on that statement?
nope....
Old September 26, 2017, 11:36 PM   #5
Walter Elliot

Stick with the book max, there's no sense in testing the limits with a firearm.
Old September 27, 2017, 05:57 PM   #6
Mike / Tx

Quote:
Stick with the book max, there's no sense in testing the limits with a firearm.
I have Redhawk's in 41 & 44 magnums and in 45C, all sport 7.5" barrels. I can tell you that the top listed manual or powder company loads, depending upon the components, can be plenty for about any purposes you might want to use them for within reason. I've had the 41 the longest and the 44 next and have run lots of smoking hot loads through them both through the years.

The 45C I have only had for maybe 5-6 years. Running a 250 - 280gr cast bullets in the neighborhood of around 1000 - 1150fps, I have no doubts that loads in that range will handle most anything in the lower 48 game or otherwise.Anything I need more power or penetration for I'll use the 454 or a rifle.

There are several sources which list some pretty spunky loads for the 45C, I have loaded up some which IMO are more than what I would ever need for hunting in the woods I run in. Not sure what the pressure was but do know they're up there.
Old September 27, 2017, 06:33 PM   #7
TruthTellers

For the record, the heaviest bullets I'd be shooting out of the Redhawk would be the 300 grain Hornady XTP's and hard cast lead with gas checks. For 250 grain bullets, 1100 fps would suffice.

If 1100 fps with 250 grain bullets is too much for the Redhawk to handle, I won't load them that hot then.
Old September 27, 2017, 10:12 PM   #8
mmb713

The Redhawk is larger than the Blackhawk in every dimension. It is a much stronger revolver. Brian Pierce has published Redhawk-only loads for 45 Colt in Handloader Magazine that approach 50,000 psi. Any published Ruger-only loads for the Blackhawk can be used in the Redhawk with a wide margin of safety.
Old October 4, 2017, 05:46 PM   #9
John C

Brian Pearce wrote an article in Handloader magazine (October 2014) about .45 Colt loads for the Ruger Redhawk. His conclusion was that the Redhawk is stronger than the Blackhawk. I recommend reading that article. Regardless, any "Ruger Only" .45 Colt loads will be safe.
Old October 5, 2017, 06:52 AM   #10
Real Gun

My Redhawk is 45 Colt 5.5" ported and handles anything I have tried from the "Ruger only" book loads. This pic is from my new photo repository on Amazon Prime. https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...ddeoBA8A4hDdjJ

I don't run the NM Blackhawk 45 cal convertible nearly as hot as the Redhawk, mostly because of the grips.

Last edited by Real Gun; October 5, 2017 at 07:01 AM.
Old October 5, 2017, 07:09 AM   #11
Don P

Quote:
And it got me to wondering: how hot can I load the Redhawk up to
Until the cylinder fails and the top strap bulges then back off a grain or 2. With a little luck you'll still have all your fingers
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 5, 2017, 10:40 AM   #12
Reloadron

I load strictly for accuracy in my Ruger Redhawk 45 Colt revolver and about 95% of the time my most accurate loads are below suggested maximum load data. That seems to hold true for just about any cartridge I load. That said it becomes wise to work within published load data. Had someone give me a box of Cor-Bon 45 Colt once which based on the felt recoil was definitely a hot load. While a big bang and heavy recoil the groups sucked and that was from a steady rest. If maximum loads work well for you then by all means feel free to push the envelop but keep in mind bad things sometimes happen.

Ron
Old October 5, 2017, 11:53 AM   #13
TruthTellers

I've thought about this and I think what I'll do is for the hot stuff, I'll stick with Buffalo Bore factory ammo. Probably safest.

But, if I'm loading 250 grain XTP's, is there anything wrong going up to 9.2 grains of Unique? That's .5 grains over max load data for standard pressure .45 Colt loads.
Old October 5, 2017, 11:55 AM   #14
GeauxTide

My load of 10gr of Unique under a 285gr RCBS SAA SWC at 1060 shoots arrow straight and hits with authority. Brian Pearce' son used the same bullet at similar velocity to take a large black bear at 40 yards. All six shots blew right the the chest, leaving fist sized exits. My point is the 45 Colt is very powerful with loads that won't leave your hand numb.
Old October 7, 2017, 07:03 AM   #15
Real Gun

Quote:
But, if I'm loading 250 grain XTP's, is there anything wrong going up to 9.2 grains of Unique? That's .5 grains over max load data for standard pressure .45 Colt loads.
I use only loads I found in sources I trust.
Old October 7, 2017, 08:10 PM   #16
disseminator

I have a Vaquero not a Redhawk but, I read somewhere some advice that has worked well for me:

Since Ruger sells the Blackhawk and Vaquero in a convertible model which allows one to shoot 45 Colt or 45 AUTO, you should be ok loading to 45 AUTO pressure levels without a problem.

Giving the old Colt round a little more pressure goes a long way. I have a nice load which is a 265g WFNGC from Cast Performance going 1300 feet per second out of my 7.5" Vaquero. That is enough to kill anything you'd use the gun for. That load is ESTIMATED at 23000 psi via Quickload which is still about 7000 psi less than some published RUGER ONLY loads.
Old October 8, 2017, 05:36 AM   #17
Real Gun

I think we should always be sure to make a distinction between Vaquero and New Vaquero. The older model is bigger and stronger. I think the 45 ACP convertible argument still applies to the New Vaquero.
Old October 8, 2017, 09:58 AM   #18
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloadron View Post
I load strictly for accuracy in my Ruger Redhawk 45 Colt revolver and about 95% of the time my most accurate loads are below suggested maximum load data. That seems to hold true for just about any cartridge I load.
^^^Same here. I often wonder why it is that so many folks feel this need to push a gun/cartridge past it's intended limits. While I know some are in need of protection from Dangerous game, and some feel the need for a extra 50 fps for hunting, the majority of folks I see loading "ROLs" are only shooting at paper. There was a time perhaps, when one had to load past the limits when the hardest hitting handgun calibers were limited to .44 mag. But that is not the case anymore.
Old October 8, 2017, 01:26 PM   #19
Real Gun

Quote:
I often wonder why it is
I bought my 5.5" Redhawk 45 Colt especially for its capability to let me experience these Ruger-only range loads. I have a 45 Cal convertible Blackhawk as well, but it is the Redhawk that has the grip and balance to really handle the heavier loads. I haven't even reached the truly hot stuff yet, but have a 256 gr gas check on my loading list using IMR 4227. I am also going to do some 300gr XTP with A2400.

Yes, I only kill paper but am having fun with it.
Old October 8, 2017, 04:20 PM   #20
disseminator

Quote:
Real Gun: I think we should always be sure to make a distinction between Vaquero and New Vaquero. The older model is bigger and stronger. I think the 45 ACP convertible argument still applies to the New Vaquero.
You are correct. But I have found my original Vaquero to be just too unstable with the 30000 psi loads. While this metric is surely subjective, you just don't gain enough to merit the extra pressure IMO.

The 23000 psi loads are a joy to shoot and only seem a little more stout than standard Colt. (14000 Psi)
Old October 9, 2017, 07:10 AM   #21
black mamba

Quote:
The 23000 psi loads are a joy to shoot and only seem a little more stout than standard Colt. (14000 Psi)
Agreed. There is very little, if anything, a 300 gr 45 caliber bullet at 1100 fps won't do, and with the right powders they fall way below the 30,000 psi threshold. Adding 200 fps and 5-10,000 pounds of pressure and recoil doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Old October 10, 2017, 11:43 AM   #22
GeauxTide

Quote:
Agreed. There is very little, if anything, a 300 gr 45 caliber bullet at 1100 fps won't do, and with the right powders they fall way below the 30,000 psi threshold. Adding 200 fps and 5-10,000 pounds of pressure and recoil doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
AMENAH!