The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 9, 2013, 01:13 PM   #1
hcShooter

Treated Media

How often do people recharge corn-cob media with new polish? Every treatment, every so often?
Old October 9, 2013, 02:54 PM   #2
jepp2

If you are talking about using untreated media as a starting point, that is what I will direct my comments toward.

I start with adding about 4X the amount I use to refresh between batches. After that gets worked in and I use it for the first batch, I normally add more polish with every batch.

I happen to use NuFinish most often. Folks always talked about "adding a capful". I found actually using the cap as the measure to very messy. So I just transfer it into a plastic squeeze bottle (like ketchup and mustard are served in). It allows me to disperse in smaller droplets and is much neater on the bottle. I just make a couple of passes around the tumbling media and let it fully disperse before I add the brass.

If you wind up adding too much, it will coat out on the bowl of the tumblers.
Old October 9, 2013, 05:33 PM   #3
Nick_C_S

I run my (Lyman green) corn cob media dry.

I do however, add used dryer sheets (cut into thirds) to help keep the media clean and lasting longer. It works. Add with every tumbling. They come out black after the tumbling session.
Old October 9, 2013, 11:02 PM   #4
bledsoeG19

Corn cob or walnut shell. I usually squirt some brasso in every so often. Dont ever pay attention to the amount.
Old October 10, 2013, 12:06 PM   #5
Don P

Quote:
I usually squirt some brasso in every so often.
Brasso contains ammonia, no good for brass. Continue as you see fit to do.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 10, 2013, 12:41 PM   #6
schmellba99

DO NOT use Brasso. Brasso will weaken brass.

When I used dry media, a capful (more or less) of NuFinish every other polishing run, and I would cut up old dryer sheets into about 1" squares and add a half dozen or dozen of them in every batch.
Old October 10, 2013, 02:07 PM   #7
safarihunter

I am not too concerned about my brass being highly polished. I a mostly concerned about it being clean.

The dryer sheet is simple and gets rid on most crud if you refresh them often
Old October 12, 2013, 08:21 PM   #8
dahermit

Quote:
I am not too concerned about my brass being highly polished. I a mostly concerned about it being clean.
I have never used anything except walnut shell media, so I do not understand the commonly heard: "Walnut cleans better, corn cob polishes better...". The walnut I have used for many years, has both cleaned and put a shine on the cases that I would call the equal of that on factory-new cases. A little car wax and it shines slightly better. So, I have never seen the point of using Corn Cob media.
Old October 13, 2013, 07:37 AM   #9
jcwit

Quote:
DO NOT use Brasso. Brasso will weaken brass.

When I used dry media, a capful (more or less) of NuFinish every other polishing run, and I would cut up old dryer sheets into about 1" squares and add a half dozen or dozen of them in every batch.
Once the ammonia evaporates out of the Brasso it is a non issue.

It does not take long for the ammonia to evaporate.

With that said I would just use a teaspoon or two and any liquid auto cleaner polish/wax you already probably have in your garage.
Old October 13, 2013, 12:07 PM   #10
Poindexter

Just FWIW I throw the polish packet away when I replace my corncob.

I start with fired and range pickup brass in the tumbler with walnut shell media until the only contaminant on the brass is the jewler's rogue or whatever that red powder is.

Then run all that through the media separator and retumble in corncob media. I use dryer sheets, lots of them. I used to cut them in one inch squares, but now I just pull a dryer sheet, tear it into five or six strips and let it fly.

Once bits and pieces of jewler's rogue and dirt are trapped in the dryer sheet, they don't get back out. What I do is check the dryer sheets every 30-60 minutes while the tumbler is running, and add more dryer sheets when the ones already in there are getting kinda black looking.

I find that when I need four or five dryer sheets to finish cleaning a batch of brass it's time for new corncob.

The one thing that really gobbles up my media is case sizer lube. I run a couple shouldered rifle calibers that need lube in the sizer. I may start washing those in simple green and water to get the case lube off - case lube doesn't get picked up by dryer sheets very well and tends to glom up my corn cob.

With straight walled pistol, carbide sizers and no lube in the sizing die I can run 2000, maybe 2500 pieces of 45 Colt brass through one purchase of corn cob media 200 at a time, using maybe half a box of generic dryer sheets along the way.
Old October 13, 2013, 06:13 PM   #11
jcwit

Quote:
The one thing that really gobbles up my media is case sizer lube. I run a couple shouldered rifle calibers that need lube in the sizer. I may start washing those in simple green and water to get the case lube off - case lube doesn't get picked up by dryer sheets very well and tends to glom up my corn cob.
I rinse my cases in gas, I know, I know, gas is flammable, but it dangerous to fill your lawnmower too.
Old October 13, 2013, 09:15 PM   #12
bledsoeG19

Checked the ingredients on brasso and sure enough, contains ammonia thank you for the wake up call. Guess I missed it.