The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 23, 2013, 03:43 AM   #26
Stringfellow

Perspective: joking aside and ego aside, and I can't see any civilian job being worth that risk. I hope you can stay safe with what you are carrying, but if you were my little brother or something, I would be badgering you about why you were doing this... Stay safe!
Old March 23, 2013, 06:43 AM   #27
CurlyQ.Howard

Glock 20 with full power loads.
Old March 23, 2013, 07:02 AM   #28
mrvco

If you can't find a better method of getting your cash to the bank, then you may want to consider hardening your vehicle.
Old March 23, 2013, 07:33 AM   #29
ShootingNut

Any good used Armored Trucks out there?
Old March 23, 2013, 07:58 AM   #30
Tactical Jackalope

Best caliber for situation described.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
I'm sorry. If you need close to 100 rds of 9mm you need to find a different bank or deliver at a different time of day.
Ssshhhhhhh. Answer his question. Hop off your obsession with me.

If he doesn't feel his .45 and 9mm back up is enough then so be it.

I carried the way I described on duty.

And OP. If you're just taking precautions and don't have a reason to feel the way you do. Don't sweat it too much. Laws of attraction apply here.

I want to know why you feel this way. Something happen there in the past? Or to you? I tick the way I do from real time experience and others to avoid what could happen.

Best way to safety, is not be there when it happens. Think of the guns as a last resort.

Last edited by Spats McGee; March 23, 2013 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Trying to end bickering
Old March 23, 2013, 08:12 AM   #31
Spats McGee
Staff

Please quit the bickering, folks. The OP asked a question, so let's do our best to answer it without fighting amongst ourselves.

Edited to add: I've now gone in and edited several posts to eliminate the aforementioned bickering. I would appreciate it if everyone could just lay that aside and get back to the OP's questions.

Last edited by Spats McGee; March 23, 2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old March 23, 2013, 08:58 AM   #32
grizz223

The answer to your question is what ever you shoot best it's all about placement A .50AE Desert Eagle does no good if you can't hit anything with it. I would start with the bank runs by always going a different way do not have paterns.Also invest in soft body armor rather than a different gun when what you have is more than enough in my opinion.
Old March 23, 2013, 09:24 AM   #33
Big555

The original question was if there is a caliber that is better suited than my .45 to deal with the specific scenario I described. That situation involved an attempted robbery where one is in their car and the assailant is either in their car or outside with a vest. This situation would obviously include having to fire thru your own and or probably the bad guys windshield/car as well.

Last edited by Spats McGee; March 23, 2013 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Trying to keep bickering from rising from the dead
Old March 23, 2013, 09:36 AM   #34
TunnelRat

Quote:
Ssshhhhhhh. Answer his question. Hop off your obsession with me.
It has nothing to do with you. If any member had suggested carrying close to 100 rds of pistol ammunition as the solution I would have said the same thing.

To the OP, there aren't enough differences among pistol calibers in order for me to recommend one over the other for your situation. I would honestly recommend having a shotgun or rifle in the car as backup if you feel that concerned. I fail to see what another pistol brings to the situation.

Edit: I also think investing in body armor, as suggested by multiple members, would be a good idea.
Maintain situational awareness

Last edited by TunnelRat; March 23, 2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old March 23, 2013, 09:47 AM   #35
Big555

Quote:
Big have you thought about a high capacity .45 for unarmored targets and a Tokarev in 7.62x25 as a BUG?
scrubcedar, I had not but thanks for opening my eyes to that cartridge, I will def check it out more.
Old March 23, 2013, 09:56 AM   #36
Big555

Quote:
Perspective: joking aside and ego aside, and I can't see any civilian job being worth that risk. I hope you can stay safe with what you are carrying, but if you were my little brother or something, I would be badgering you about why you were doing this... Stay safe!
Quote:
And OP. If you're just taking precautions and don't have a reason to feel the way you do. Don't sweat it too much. Laws of attraction apply here.

I want to know why you feel this way. Something happen there in the past? Or to you? I tick the way I do from real time experience and others to avoid what could happen.
Anytime $ is involved there will be risk associated. The 7/11 up the street was just held up at gunpoint, as well as several businesses within a 5 mile range over the past several months. The last owner was robbed by bad guy with a shoty but he got it away from robber and turned it on him for a messy outcome. But that was years ago and since we have opened in a new location with steel plated walls and "bullet proof" glass. But, I am probably making it sound much more dangerous than it is. Honestly I am just trying to be prepared for something that will most likely and hopefully never happen.
Old March 23, 2013, 10:10 AM   #37
Big555

Quote:
To the OP, there aren't enough differences among pistol calibers in order for me to recommend one over the other for your situation. I would honestly recommend having a shotgun or rifle in the car as backup if you feel that concerned. I fail to see what another pistol brings to the situation.

Edit: I also think investing in body armor, as suggested by multiple members, would be a good idea.
I already have invested in body armor. Thanks for the replies, all have been a big help.
Old March 23, 2013, 10:23 AM   #38
Wreck-n-Crew

Just seems this is going the wrong direction and i don't want to see a law enforcement officer/trooper loose his life because someone told him how to shoot through a vest on a forum.

??????
Old March 23, 2013, 10:37 AM   #39
Big555

general impression I have gotten is the pistol caliber really doesn't make too much of a difference in this situation.
Old March 23, 2013, 10:50 AM   #40
Vermonter

Armored truck service

I would seriously consider an armored truck service. Apart from that I would do the following...

Two pistols.
Multiple Interchangeable Mags
Shotgun in vehicle.
Different routes
Different branch of the same bank
Maybe even accounts at different banks

As for caliber I would say 9 mm for the best capacity.

You should also learn to drive defensively. Don't allow yourself to get boxed in. Driving away from a gun fight beats attempting to win one.
Old March 23, 2013, 12:15 PM   #41
alex0535

Quote:
You're well-armed enough. I'd be more concerned with security protocols. Maybe get a vest for yourself
This if you are really that worried about your safety.
Old March 23, 2013, 12:16 PM   #42
dajowi

Have you thought about a safer job
Old March 23, 2013, 05:15 PM   #43
Topthis

Wow, a .45 and a 9mm and you still feel you might be undergunned? Have you considered a 10mm? Or if you really wanna feel gunned up...get a .454 Casul!!
Btw, if someone is wearing a Vest and you put a few rounds COM from your .45, they probably aren't going to be feeling to well or even standing, regardless.
Old March 23, 2013, 05:39 PM   #44
scrubcedar

Big555 here's a couple of links on the 7.62x25 round you might find interesting.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...etration-Issue

http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.ph...-a-nato-helmut

Seems like this answers your question pretty well on round penetration.

Classic Firearms has them for $229 in excellent condition.

http://www.classicfirearms.com/c-r-e...tokarev-pistol
Old March 23, 2013, 08:59 PM   #45
Big555

scrubcedar, thanks I may order one come Monday
Old March 23, 2013, 09:22 PM   #46
scrubcedar

Anytime, glad to be of service.
Old March 23, 2013, 09:45 PM   #47
BornToLooze

If that's not enough firepower for you I would probably go with a .357 or .44 magnum. Or an FN FiveseveN
Old March 23, 2013, 10:29 PM   #48
balderclev

If you are asking about needing an additional high-capacity pistol in addition to what you are already carrying, I would assume you are concerned about an extended gunfight with multiple BGs and a lot of bullets flying. In that scenario, I would carry an AR-15 with several 30rd mags in the vehicle. I don't believe an additional pistol is not going to help much.
Old March 23, 2013, 11:40 PM   #49
Sheep Doggy Dogg

1. Have everyone write you checks or have a certified check from a bank.

2. Buy a Smart Phone and download the app where you can take a picture of a check to have instant deposits.

Ok, just kidding. To answer your question, either a 357 SIG or load up your 9mm with some +P or +P+. 357 SIG is a beast for penetration and +P 9mm can get you within +/- 50 FPS of the SIG.

Maybe an AR pistol??
Old March 23, 2013, 11:49 PM   #50
Big555

Again, I appreciate the responses, but if you paid attention to my posts I am not envisioning a big shoot out. I am merely asking if anyone has insight as too which caliber would be best suited to passing through windshields and possibly a vest while retaining stopping power. That's it. I don't want a third gun or second bug. I am looking for a single cartridge that would preform best.

Tags
caliber comparison , robbery