The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 23, 2013, 10:13 PM   #1
gwhunran

Online gun buying

Would appreciate some links to forum post about online gun buying. I am pretty gun knowledgeable. I'm in my 50s and have been shooting since I was 7. I reload for all my guns (except rimfire) and cast my own pistol bullets. I have no knowledge of centerfire gun buying online. I have bought a muzzle loader and Beeman air rifle online though.
I live in southwest Virginia.
Old February 24, 2013, 01:57 AM   #2
ClydeFrog

Good sources...

Hi;
I, too am from central VA(go Cavs! ).
I've purchased 03/three firearms thru online sources. A M&P full size 9x19mm, a PX4 C(constant) 9x19mm & a surplus LE(new) Beretta Brigader 96D .40S&W.
I got 2 firearms with www.GunsAmerica.com . I highly suggest GA to any gun owner or new buyer. It's free, easy to use and you can get a lot of practical features.
Be aware that the recent surge in firearm sales & panic has made sales/service hard. ALL(as in none left) of the firearms I bookmarked on GunsAmerica.com were sold or are no longer listed. I've used the site since 2004 & never saw that occur.

Check here; www.jgsales.com www.gilbertsguns.com www.gunsamerica.com . Buds Gun Shop is good too. Gunbroker.com is eh, IMO. AuctionArms.com is sub-standard too. They spam you & they are not worth using.
Clyde
Old February 24, 2013, 09:46 AM   #3
Nathan

I don't have a link, but the basic process is to find a convenient FFL licensee. There are websites which have lists, if you need them.

Then talk to them and see if they want to send their license out or if they can give you a copy. Make sure you discuss price, availability, etc. the way it goes with my guy is: I send his license to the seller. I tell my FFL I have a gun coming in a week or so to check his availability. Then I instruct the seller to ship. My FFL expects me to know when the package will get to him. When I know timing, I'm expected to arrange pickup and transfer. I call and make an appointment. For the transfer, he gets $15. He makes it clear that if he does more, that the fee is going up.

Then I go look for a gun.

Find the gun. Check it out. Communicate with the seller. Do some basic background check of the seller.

Negotiate price and terms with the seller.

Receive gun and inspect. Any issues, contact the seller BEFORE transferring.

Then transfer and enjoy.
Old February 24, 2013, 12:50 PM   #4
gwhunran

Thanks ClydeFrog and Nathan, this is what I was looking for. Nathan, when you mention receiving and transfer. You are just staying on top of things so as not to inconvenience your FFL holder?
Nathan- You have already paid for the gun, so what do you accomplish by inspecting before transfer? Couldn't you still have issues with the seller if they already had your money?
Old February 24, 2013, 03:09 PM   #5
Nathan

Quote:
. . .Nathan, when you mention receiving and transfer. You are just staying on top of things so as not to inconvenience your FFL holder?
Yea, some FFL's view themselves as full service and want to call you when it comes in. Mine would probably call, but seems to think it works best if I figure out when it will be at his shop.

Quote:
Nathan- You have already paid for the gun, so what do you accomplish by inspecting before transfer? Couldn't you still have issues with the seller if they already had your money?

When I receive one, I always inspect and make sure it is right. It kind of depends on the terms of the sale. I always try to get people to agree to a 3 day un-transferred inspection period. I've never had to use it, but I did back out of 2 deals due to the seller being unwilling to do it.

That was private party to private party. Dealing with a store like Buds, they likely have a policy which will give you certain protections. Still, after transfer, everything gets a bit harder or more spendy to work out.

Good luck. Be cautious.
Old February 24, 2013, 03:28 PM   #6
BigD_in_FL

I go find what I feel is the best deal online. Then I ask my FFL what he can get it for. If he can beat my price (including the shipping and transfer) and he can make a profit, I let him get it. If not, I order it in to him
Old February 24, 2013, 07:00 PM   #7
ClydeFrog

Big & Rich...

Big is right, in days of yore(pre gun panic/Sandy Hook events); you could shop around & maybe do some horse-trading or haggle.
Now in early 2013, you may be in a bind.
I've seen polymer frame NIB semi auto pistols that were retailed at $500.00 now going for $600.00 to 750.00.
New gun owners or those who want firearms to collect or sell off don't get that. They don't understand the shooting sports industry or what a value is. The FFL holders & retail locations want to make the $$$.
ClydeFrog