The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 4, 2013, 06:31 PM   #1
Firefighter88

Hmm

What is the best way to learn how to restore old guns? Is penn foster a decent start? Or not worth the money...I'm fair at parts changing...just want to learn how to restore an old gun for personal reasons, not to start a business. A classroom setting is probably not an option because of location ( northern Oklahoma), and work schedule...just curious
Old February 4, 2013, 09:36 PM   #2
Scorch

Not worth the money. If you are serious, enroll in one of the trade schools that teach gunsmithing, they often teach 1 week summer sessions. There is more to gunsmithing than swapping out parts.
Old February 4, 2013, 10:05 PM   #3
Firefighter88

Scorch, just wanting to learn how to restore personal guns. Is it better to learn individual aspects first? Like refinishing a stock, bluing, etc. I'm not wanting to become a 'gunsmith', just want some sound advice, for an average gun owner, on how to acquire the basics in the restoration of firearms. Thanks!
Old February 5, 2013, 05:10 AM   #4
vostracker

agi

Firefighter88: I would check into the AGI gunsmithing videos. They might be what your looking for. You can see some of them on youtube.
Old February 5, 2013, 06:53 AM   #5
tango1niner

My advice would be to gather up gunsmithing books by the old masters and read, read, read. Buy some old clunker rifles and practice on them. It would probably be the least expensive way to learn.