The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 31, 2011, 11:49 PM   #1
compglock17

RCBS primer pocket swager quesion

As I was dangerously close to high jacking another threat on this topic, I thought I would post this question separately. In the other post, the recommendation was repeatedly made to sort the brass to be swaged by head stamp and year or damage could be done to the tool. My confusion is based on what am I to do with the brass once it is sorted? Is it merely an adjustment issue on the tool itself or will certain cases not be usable at all? Please note, I do not yet have this tool in hand, but it is on order, maybe it will become clear with the directions in hand. Just wanted to get some info to be ahead of the curve. If it makes a difference at all, all the brass I will be doing has all been de-primed and sized.
Old January 1, 2012, 12:07 AM   #2
level10

swagger tool

the tool may need to be set / adjusted for different brass it is really easy to bend the shaft
Old January 1, 2012, 12:09 AM   #3
jepp2

adjustment issue only.

It is due to the web thickness and the small tolerance of the swage action between the rod and the stud.

I use a RCBS RockChucker with the cam over leverage and I can immediately tell if the web thickness is different. Sorting by headstamp just makes things go quicker.
Old January 1, 2012, 12:12 AM   #4
compglock17

Thanks for clearing that up guys!