The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 28, 2011, 11:52 PM   #1
frigate88

Both eye dominant

I shoot a lot and I have yet for some reason to meet anyone like me. Just wondering if anyone else out there shoots this way. When I shoot a long gun I shoot left handed and aim with my left eye and when I shoot a handgun I shoot right handed aiming with right eye. Also I shoot my compound bow right handed and can shoot lefty as well with no awkward feeling, but switching the guns to my weaker side, it's awkward. Anyone else shoot like this?
Old December 29, 2011, 12:13 AM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I've never encountered anyone like that, but I would say it's perhaps inaccurate to describe it as "both eyes dominant." That's a contradiction in terms. You really mean that you don't seem to have a dominant eye.

"Ambiocular" perhaps?
Old December 29, 2011, 12:30 AM   #3
pax

frigate,

Neither of my eyes is dominant, so I use my left eye when shooting left-handed and my right eye when shooting right-handed. Works especially well since I'm ambidextrous (or more honestly ambi-clumsy) in other ways -- so when I shoot around left side cover, for example, I just switch hands and eyes and don't need to do the awkward contortion thing others often must.

pax