The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 13, 2011, 08:11 PM   #1
Red Eye

H-110 and accurate powder measurers

Have a Dillon SDB and it leaks H 110 all over the place. After trying to figure out how to fix this, I finally called Dillon. They told me that all their powder measure on all their machines will leak powder because its too "fine" of a powder and I should go to a seperate powder measure and not use the one on the press.

So, can anyone recomend a seperate powder measure that measures H-110 accurately without leaking all over the place; the Lee perfect , RCBS, Hornady ???
Old November 13, 2011, 08:13 PM   #2
briandg

rcbs. Bite the bullet and buy perfection.
Old November 13, 2011, 08:34 PM   #3
Vance

That's odd. My dillon measure didn't leak H110.
Old November 13, 2011, 08:53 PM   #4
Red Eye

Vance, I wish I had your luck with this powder. I also have a 550 and it does it also. As the ram is being lowered and the bullet case is coming out of the powder funnel, I get "spillage" all over the place.

As I said, Dillon told me its " the nature of the beast" that their powder measure will leak all fine powder like h110.
Old November 13, 2011, 10:32 PM   #5
Cary

I have one of the Lee Perfect Powder measures and it works good for everything except H110. It leaks and has a gritty movement while using it. I adjusted it using Lee's instructions and it still would not work with H110. I purchased one of the RCBS Quick Change Powder Measures and it works perfect with H110.
https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/Mai...&route=C07J030
No powder leaks and it works smooth. H110 is a fine powder and you need a powder measure with close tolerances or you will have problems.
Cary
Old November 14, 2011, 08:16 AM   #6
Kevin Rohrer

The Quick-Measure works fine. It can be had w/ an adapter for use w/ a progressive press.

The Q-M is in front:

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old November 14, 2011, 09:07 AM   #7
Rifleman1776

Good ole Lyman 55.
Old November 14, 2011, 08:39 PM   #8
dmazur

My 550B doesn't leak H110, either.

Any possibility it isn't adjusted correctly? (Regardless of what Dillon said.)
Old November 14, 2011, 11:55 PM   #9
jdillon

Is it leaking from the charging bar? If so, try replacing the charging bar with a new one. If it leaking from the drop tube, disassemble and clean the drop tube assembly with denatured alcohol and make sure the neck flare is properly set. Do not lubricate these parts.

I have experiienced some leaking with very fine ball powders but has been minimal. I wish Dillon would develop a culver style powder measure like the Harrell that would work on their presses.
Old November 15, 2011, 12:52 AM   #10
hootey

RCBS

Loaded some H110 last night, RCBS powder measure worked almost perfectly. Didn't leak any that I saw. Only missed perfect loads a couple times, I measure every one. Been using it for about 14 years now.
Old November 15, 2011, 08:43 AM   #11
Red Eye

Appreciate all the input and thoughts but I don't use H110 all that much except for some "hot" 44 mags for my SRH. I've grown tired of "playing" with the presses to help solve the leakage problem from the powder funnel/ die. I figured a seperate powder drop would solve the problem.
Right now I'm useing hand dippers and trickling the loads by hand; very time consuming.

Other than that, I love my 2 Dillons; the 550 is set up for my 38 special CAS loads ( go thru about 8000 rounds a yr. and the SDB is set up for my "normal" hunting and practice loads for the 44 mag.

Out of all the other powders I use in either press. the H110 is the only problem.
Old November 15, 2011, 09:07 AM   #12
spacecoast

Quote:
Right now I'm useing hand dippers and trickling the loads by hand; very time consuming.
No need to hand trickle, just get a dipper the right size. For .44 mag, I sanded down a 1.6cc dipper to about 1.56cc and it dips 23.7 grains of H110. Perfect for a 240 gr. JHP, sounds like a thunderclap out of my 629-4.