The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 24, 2011, 05:18 PM   #1
NatoRepublic

Wilson v. Holder et al

This one came to my attention, and I didn't see a thread or other mention of it here, so I thought I would start one.

Basically Ms. Wilson is a medical marijuana user in the state of Nevada, where it is legal. The BATFE made a ruling that she is an unlawful user of a controlled substance and therefore is prohibited from purchasing a firearm. She is now suing to get her pistol. According to the complaint they are demanding a trial by jury.

Ms. Wilson is a well known medical advocate in the state of Nevada.

I have attached a copy of the complaint which is filed in Nevada district court. On a side note, ladies and gentlemen I believe we just got dragged into someone else's fight with the US government.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1-Complaint.pdf (263.4 KB, 31 views)
Old October 24, 2011, 05:36 PM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

She may not have read Gonzales v. Raich. We have a Supreme Court precedent that, right or wrong, clarifies the situation in favor of the BATFE. That pretty much cuts any litigation off at the knees.
Old October 24, 2011, 07:39 PM   #3
secret_agent_man

SCOTUS aside, it's a matter of states' rights as to who can and cannot buy a
firearm in any give state, most especially in a state where the firearm is manufactured. I could be wrong, but the old saw here behind federal regulation of gun buys is probably the Commerce Clause,once again stretched too far.
Old October 24, 2011, 08:58 PM   #4
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

This may not be as bad as first blush would make it.

The biggest hurdle to overcome, is that with the makeup of the current Court, Thomas is the only sure vote to take such a case. See Raich.

I can see an MTD on standing being upheld (see Raich). In the alternative, an MJP will be upheld (again, see Raich). On the chance this case survives those, it will not survive an MSJ (finally, see Raich).

I'll go ahead and collect the data, add it to the list, just on the off chance the Commerce Clause just might be corralled (a very long shot, see Raich).
Old October 24, 2011, 09:17 PM   #5
hermannr

This question is going up the ladder in OR. Jackson Co. Oregon Sheriff Mike Winters and MM user Cynthia Willis. It is already past all the state stuff and Sheriff Winters has a petition in to be heard in the US Supreme Court.

Mrs Willis applied to renew her OR CPL in 2008, (Shall issue state) Sheriff refused to issue, went all the way to the OR state supreme court in Mrs Willis favor, Sheriff Winters has appealed to the US Supreme Court.

Washington County, OR has a similar appeal in waiting. This all was as 10/2011
Old October 24, 2011, 09:37 PM   #6
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

The data for the Wilson case has been placed and all links work (really, a first for RECAP!).

Hermannr, do you have the case no. for that Oregon case? (The Court could deny cert or GVR, see Raich - which would indicate what will happen here)

Found the Winters case. See the Current 2A Cases thread.
Old January 11, 2012, 09:20 AM   #7
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Orders came out last Monday (Jan. 9th), Cert is Denied.

Ops! Wrong Thread.
Old January 11, 2012, 10:12 AM   #8
CowTowner

^^ Al, was this supposed to part of the previous post?
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old January 11, 2012, 02:38 PM   #9
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

No. I posted to the wrong Thread! sigh.

No further activity in the Wilson case. The reply to the complaint is due next week, assuming I have calculated the dates correctly.
Old October 31, 2012, 02:09 PM   #10
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Here is an update to this case.

On 02-03-2012, the defendants filed their response to the complaint by means of a motion to dismiss (MTD) or in the alternative, a motion for summary judgment (MSJ). This can be read here: http://www.archive.org/download/gov....83947.10.0.pdf

On 03-09-2012, the plaintiff filed a response with a cross-MSJ. That response can be read here: http://www.archive.org/download/gov....83947.17.0.pdf

On 02-03-2012 it was stipulated and on 06-21-2012 it was ordered that the personal injury portions of the complaint against Eric Holder, Todd Jones and Arthur Herbert be dismissed. These person are continued in the complaint as acting in their official capacities.

On 09-25-2012, the hearing on the motions were reset for 11-02-2012. The docket is now fully updated with all necessary annotations: http://www.archive.org/download/gov....47.docket.html