The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 31, 2011, 09:37 AM   #1
dbldown

170 gr bullets

I just bought some reloading equipment and included was over 300 170 gr Hornady and Noslers. It looks like the only load data is for the 30-30, but I load for 30-06. Would you use 168 data as a start or just sell them.

I'm new to reloading and trying to keep things simple to start.

Former Lurker
Old May 31, 2011, 12:16 PM   #2
Loader9

What is the actual diameter? They maybe .307 and they might also be .308. Regardless, if you attempt to push them at 3006 velocities you're going have issues with bullet performance. Keeping them at around 22-2500'ps max should be very doable if they are of the correct diameter. Otherwise, they may not group at all. From an old Ideal Loading manual #38 for the 3006 and 170 gr bullets:
36.5 grs IMR4198-2500'ps PROX
43.0 grs IMR 3031-2500'ps PROX
45.0 grs IMR4320-2500'ps PROX
45.0 grs IMR4064-2500'ps PROX
20.0 grsSR4759-1500'PS PROX

As with any load data, always start low and work up to tailor to your specific weapon. I'd be more inclined to think that the max speed should be more around 2200'ps max for better bullet performance. Otherwise, the velocity will cause the bullet to expand far more than necessary on game causing lots of meat damage. I assume you know these are designed for the 30-30 and the velocities that the cartridge produces.
Old May 31, 2011, 12:22 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Shoot an email to Nosler and Hornady. Ask them for load data for that cartridge and bullet and ask them to advise you on the maximum acceptable speed for those bullets. I have emailed both companies and found them friendly, informative and reasonably prompt.
Old May 31, 2011, 12:35 PM   #4
PawPaw

If you're new to reloading you should really read a couple of good manuals.

However, if those bullets are designed for the .30-30, they'll work find in your .30-06 at ranges under 200 yards. I'm old enough to remember when most hunting ammunition was sold with round-nose bullets. While spitzer bullets give a down-range advantage due to a higher ballistic coefficient, the round nose bullets generally have a longer bearing surface and stabilize very well.

I'd use 175 grain data and as in all reloading, start low and work up. The Hodgdon Reloading Data center has plenty of loads for 175 grain bullets. One general rule of thumb is if you can't find data for a particular load, then step up one bullet weight and use data for that bullet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peetzakilla
Shoot an email to Nosler and Hornady. Ask them for load data for that cartridge and bullet and ask them to advise you on the maximum acceptable speed for those bullets. I have emailed both companies and found them friendly, informative and reasonably prompt.
That's good advise. When you hear from those companies, try to keep the velocity in the design range and you should be on firm ground.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old June 2, 2011, 02:13 PM   #5
dbldown

Shoot an email to Nosler and Hornady. Ask them for load data for that cartridge and bullet and ask them to advise you on the maximum acceptable speed for those bullets. I have emailed both companies and found them friendly, informative and reasonably prompt

Heard back from both and you guys were spot on with the slower fps and expansion comments

Thanks!!
Old June 3, 2011, 01:53 AM   #6
Hamour

I picked up over 4 thousand Rem. 170gr 30-30 bullets years ago and they work great in my 30-06. I just use 30-06 168gr loading data for the M1 Garand. The velocity on these loads is less than max and does not over stress the bullet.

Try 45 to 46 grs IMR 4895 in the 30-06, you will be happy and the deer will be dead.

If the Nosler is a Partition, you have a bullet that can shoot even bigger game than deer.

The round nose gives up little to the Spitzer bullets out to 250yds or so.

My Garands love these bullets by the way.
Old June 4, 2011, 06:10 AM   #7
Mike / Tx

One thing you might find out with these bullets is an inherent accuracy form the 06'.

I have shot many of similar bullets from both my 06' and my .308 with reduced loads using H-4895, and they group right in there with some of the highest priced bullets. As mentioned the added bearing surface give them a bit more alignment heading down the bore and they do a great job on game within the velocity parameters they are designed for.

Use them for practice and hunting, your shoulder nor your freezer will hate you for it.
Old June 4, 2011, 08:40 AM   #8
PawPaw

This thread got me to pondering some Speer 130 grain hot-cor bullets I've got on the bench that I bought for the .30-30, and wondering about their use in the .30 cal bolt rifles.

We all know that .30-30 bullets are designed to operate at a lesser velocity than their spitzer brothers, in the 2200-2500 fps range. I've got several grandkids who might not be able to tolerate full-house 168 grain loads in the .30-06 or .308, yet might be able to tolerate a 130 grain load that runs about 2500 fps.

So, I clicked over to the Hodgdon page and found this page on reduced loads with H4895 powder. I just happen to keep some of that powder on the bench. So I went out and made up several of those reduced loads. My ballistic calculator tells me that if I sight it in one inch high at 100 yards, it'll be dead-on at 150, and down just three inches at 200. At 200 yards, it'll still be carrying 1013 fpe, which is sufficient for the woods I hunt.

This is going to be an interesting experiment.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old June 4, 2011, 09:53 AM   #9
Mike / Tx

Quote:
We all know that .30-30 bullets are designed to operate at a lesser velocity than their spitzer brothers, in the 2200-2500 fps range. I've got several grandkids who might not be able to tolerate full-house 168 grain loads in the .30-06 or .308, yet might be able to tolerate a 130 grain load that runs about 2500 fps.
When my oldest grandson was just a couple months past his 3rd birthday, he got it in his head he wanted to shoot him a feral hog. We were wearing them out at the time, and he wanted in on the action and wouldn't take "you ain't big enough" for a reason why not.

I used those Hodgdon loads with the 125gr Ballistic Tips at first and then the 130gr Barnes TTSX, and after practicing most of the summer he accomplished his goal and hasn't let up since.

This past Thanksgiving, day after his 9th birthday, with his first buck using full powered 110gr AB in the 25-06.

Your grandkids will love you for it.