The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 3, 2010, 10:58 AM   #1
JohnH1963

Reporter gets shot with full power 357 magnum round 1 foot away with new clothing

This was a great video demonstrating the ability of new bulletproof clothing. Towards the end of the video, the reporter gets shot with a 357 Magnum round and does not even have a mark on his skin. I did not see any hard plates in the jacket he was wearing. The reporter did not even flinch or say a word in pain. They showed his skin afterword and I did not see so much as a mark.

http://cnn.com/video/?/video/world/2...f.tailor.vbstv
Old February 3, 2010, 11:13 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Impressive.

I don't necessarily see any proof that it's a "full power 357magnum" but, regardless, light weight, flexible and stylish protection at point blank range is impressive.

I can imagine a time when self defense training will forgo body shots altogether because bullet-proof clothing is too common to take the chance.
Old February 3, 2010, 11:50 AM   #3
C Philip

Quote:
I can imagine a time when self defense training will forgo body shots altogether because bullet-proof clothing is too common to take the chance.
Or more likely at that time gun makers and ammo companies will make defensive weapons able to pierce the armor more available to customers.
Old February 3, 2010, 11:56 AM   #4
KLRANGL

hahaha "the hip-hop people may be a big market"
I thought that was kinda funny...

As the pros go up, and the cons go down, I can see more people wanting to start buying stuff like this. I mean, who wouldn't want something that is just like anything else they would wear, but can (potentially) stop bullets?
But at the same time, I always thought bullet proof vests were a bit excessive for daily use, but this might change things...
Old February 3, 2010, 11:57 AM   #5
rodwhaincamo

Very impressive indeed! And starting at a very reasonable price! But I'd have to say that was no full power 357 load. I didn't see any porting and there certainly wasn't enough muzzle flip. Steven Segaul (spl?) certainly is a big guy!
Old February 3, 2010, 12:00 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
ammo companies will make defensive weapons able to pierce the armor more available to customers.
Which the Powers That Be will immediately make illegal for the regular person, meaning that they'll only be available to gang members and other thugs, meaning that there will be no point in the regular person wearing this stuff because the BGs will all be shooting armor piercing bullets and the GGs will all have to make head shots because the BGs will all be wearing armor, but only when they rob the GGs because the other homies shooting at them will all be using the armor piercing rounds that the GGs can't get.....
Old February 3, 2010, 12:28 PM   #7
Skans

Quote:
But I'd have to say that was no full power 357 load.
That was the power of maybe a 38 special, not .357 magnum.

This raises a good question. Are there any handgun cartridges (other than the 5-7) with pointed bullets? Has anyone ever attempted to make a 357 handgun round using a solid, pointed bullet....or anything similar. Would such a round have better penetration with regard to bullet proof clothing?
Old February 3, 2010, 12:30 PM   #8
SigP6Carry

I actually disliked the reporter's demeanor and rhetoric. He rather made light about it, made some odd comments that seemed rather "anti-gun" and failed to recognize people's right to defense.

At one point I believe he said "anybody who thinks it's likely that they'll get shot."
Old February 3, 2010, 12:45 PM   #9
Balog

I recall reading about solid copper, very pointed projectiles designed to defeat armour being made in 9mm and .357, but that was years ago.
Old February 3, 2010, 01:49 PM   #10
Skans

Quote:
I actually disliked the reporter's demeanor and rhetoric. He rather made light about it, made some odd comments that seemed rather "anti-gun" and failed to recognize people's right to defense.
I agree - he was kind of jerky. Also, it took way too long to get to the demonstration - lame reporting. On the other hand, I liked the way that the proprietor of the clothing line handled himself. Nice store, interesting designs. Obviously this guy takes his business seriously and seems to be quite successful at it.
Old February 3, 2010, 04:33 PM   #11
JohnH1963

I dont see a point in laws that make body armor illegal. The bad guys will drive to other states or find someway to get their hands on it. The fact is that most bad guys do not use body armor. When was the last time you read about a criminal wearing body armor? There are people out there with legitimate reasons to wear body armor such as jewelers, wealthy individuals, employees of stores that are at high risk for robbery, etc.

I would support say an individual having to get a permit to buy body armor who has demonstrated a need for it such as a convenience store owner. However, outlawing it just endangers the public more then it protects it.
Old February 3, 2010, 10:40 PM   #12
Balog

Really? Should I need to prove my need and buy a permit before I can buy a gun?
Old February 3, 2010, 11:02 PM   #13
bignz

I enjoyed this video and appreciate the reporting. Obviously not a gun guy, but he was willing to get shot for the story! And he was clearly nervous about it.

It was always my impression that although bullet-proof clothing could prevent penetration, it would be an incredibly painful experience nonetheless. I guess I was mistaken in this...
Old February 3, 2010, 11:07 PM   #14
StiveC2007

if you watch it you can see where the extra padding and weaving it. all it is is those second chance vests that some police departments have and they are sewn into clothing so its not anything new. Also the gun being shot can't be a full 357 load has to be a .38. also the bigger the clothing is the more bullet resistant it is.
Old February 3, 2010, 11:31 PM   #15
bcrash15

I saw that video somewhere with a written caption that said it was a .38. Also, you can see in the video it is a cast bullet. Regardless, the vest performs pretty respectably.
Old February 4, 2010, 12:05 AM   #16
StiveC2007

the vest performed like it was supposed to I wouldn't say that its amazing. maybe im just a cynical person but im not impressed, now if he shot him with a .223 rem round my jaw would be on the floor and i'd be calling that man a dam genius. go onto youtube do a search, theres clips of a guy shooting himself with a revolver while wearing a vest, hes older guy with glasses big guy cant remeber his name but hes pretty well known in the bullet resistant industry
Old February 4, 2010, 12:37 AM   #17
Rich Miranda

The version of the video that I saw indicates it was .38, not a .357. And, for liability reasons (and self-preservation - what if it didn't work?!), it was probably a wimpy load. Still very impressive.
Old February 4, 2010, 12:56 AM   #18
dstyle47

i was in the category of people very impressed. I too, thought that although bullet penetration could be stopped, it would be an extremely painful and bruising process. wow.
Old February 4, 2010, 02:22 AM   #19
omkhan

This is some really amazing stuff. Regarding the power, the bullet seemed to be deformed pretty well. I wonder how many of us could volunteer for such a demonstration?
Old February 4, 2010, 02:32 AM   #20
XD Gunner

Had to be a .38, that thing had almost no recoil. Probably a light loaded .38 at that.

If handguns cause crimes, mine's defective.- Eric Shelton
Old February 4, 2010, 03:39 AM   #21
BillCA

It was likely a standard pressure .38 Special load. A 9mm might have been more impressive, but it would probably have injured the reporter more.

Impressed or not, you have to admit that he's done a pretty good job of integrating bullet resistant materials with "regular" clothing. A denim jacket with panels inside it would be great in some areas of the country. Leather jackets and car-coats look nice and could offer good protection. Heck, a medium weight canvas-duck jacket is a go-everywhere item and could save your life. For a few hundred bucks, why not?

Now, before someone makes the comment that it won't stop a .357/10mm/.44 Mag, ask yourself if you'd pay for something that would save your life is someone shot you, even if they shot you two or three times. A no brainer. If it'll stop up to a 9mm/.40/.45 you've covered most of the bad-boy crime guns.

Even if it doesn't completely stop a .357, it'll slow it down enough that your odds of survival are much higher.
Old February 4, 2010, 03:54 AM   #22
BillCA

Quote:
I would support say an individual having to get a permit to buy body armor who has demonstrated a need for it such as a convenience store owner. However, outlawing it just endangers the public more then it protects it.
I disagree.

I believe body armor falls under the category of "arms" WRT the 2nd Amendment. Helmets, breast-plates, chain mail (ancient body armor) and such were all part of "arms" in the 1700s. There is no reason for people to be forced into obtaining a permit first.
Old February 4, 2010, 03:55 AM   #23
BillCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by peetzakilla
Which the Powers That Be will immediately make illegal for the regular person, meaning that they'll only be available to gang members and other thugs, meaning that there will be no point in the regular person wearing this stuff because the BGs will all be shooting armor piercing bullets and the GGs will all have to make head shots because the BGs will all be wearing armor, but only when they rob the GGs because the other homies shooting at them will all be using the armor piercing rounds that the GGs can't get.
Peetza gets the Jim Fix run-on-sentence-of-the-month award!
Old February 4, 2010, 06:28 AM   #24
jughead2

reporter shot

assuming the film wasnt doctored the round had enough power to deform the bullet pretty good. i have shot wad cutters into solid red clay that didnt deform that bad. with normal clothes one would be in for a world of hurt with that round
Old February 4, 2010, 11:27 AM   #25
Double Naught Spy

Yeah, something isn't right with the demonstration.