The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 2, 2007, 03:21 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

Buzzards

Dang I think these turkey vultures have figured out how to find a free meal from a gut pile....I could swear that they seemed to be following me while hunting yesterday...bout every 15-30 minutes, I'd look up, and anywhere from 10-15 of the suckers would be not direcly overhead, but just a little ways off, like they were watching me, hoping alongside me for my hunting success. Every couple minutes, one would swoop in close to me to see what was going on. I can just hear one teaching his kid vultures how to survive: "Now look here, son - you like chowin down on a good set of intestines, dontcha? Well just follow the lone human wearing orange, and sooner or later...."
Old December 2, 2007, 04:10 PM   #2
ZeroJunk

A couple of years ago we had them peck a hole in a deer's ham in the time it took to walk 1/2 mile and get back on an ATV.
Old December 2, 2007, 05:31 PM   #3
DWARREN123

One of natures cleaners. Seen them clean up a lot of road kill.
Old December 2, 2007, 05:46 PM   #4
bswiv

We live in a fairly well built up area. Last Thanksgiving my wife shot a nice buck in the morning and when we got back to the house I went to the garage and boned it out while she finished making dinner for about 25 folks who were due at 1pm.

Put the meat in a cooler. The bones and skin went into the back of my truck in a washtub. I set the head on the hood of the truck just to bumb out my liberal sister when she pulled into the driveway.

So we all go in and eat. When we go back out to give some of the table scraps to the cats there are buzzards in the tree above my truck.

Now there were no guts in that carcus. And she had shot it clean so the insides were not all stinking. Those buzzards found it anyway..........and they did not care that it was in a residential area. I'll bet if we'd of stayed in and watched for a while they would have landed in the truck bed.

Most fun I've had with the sister in years!!!!!!
Old December 3, 2007, 11:38 AM   #5
davlandrum

FF - are you sure they weren't following you do to inadequate personal hygiene habits

Sorry, had to do it....

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old December 5, 2007, 10:44 PM   #6
FirstFreedom

lol, quite possibly - the deer smelled me from a mile away, so they probably did too!