The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 6, 2002, 05:35 AM   #1
9x19mm

AL391: Alloy or steel receiver?

Dear members,

Do all Beretta AL391 models (Urika Standard, Urika Synthetic, Urika U, Urika Slug etc) have an alloy (aluminum?) receiver? Are there any AL391 models that have steel receiver?

I am asking this because there is a weight difference between various models. For instance:
Urika Base weighs 3 kg,
Urika U Base weighs 3,3 kg,
Urika Slug weighs 3,2 kg
Urika Synthetic weighs 3,4 kg,
Urika U Synthetic weighs 3,6 kg etc.
(I apologize for using the metric system!)

I understand the purpose of the weight difference but in what way is that achieved? By using alloy vs steel receiver? Different woods? Other?

I am particulary interested in the differences between the Standard Urika model and the Urika Synthetic (apart from the synthetic stock and forend)

Your info is much appreciated, thank you
Old August 7, 2002, 03:51 AM   #2
9x19mm

I see
Old August 7, 2002, 06:43 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Not a Beretta expert, but I believe all the 391s have alloy receivers.

The differences in weight can be chalked up to varied bbl lengths, whose scale one is using and stock material density. Any changes in the metalwork are purely cosmetic.
Old August 7, 2002, 06:59 AM   #4
9x19mm

Thanks Dave McC!
Old August 7, 2002, 08:45 AM   #5
johnbt

Steel receiver.

Here I go again being contrary.

I almost bought a 391 shortly after they came out, but decided that my 870 was the ultimate duck gun for what I needed. That, and Virginia's largest Beretta dealer didn't have the one I wanted.

Anyway, according to the Beretta catalog that year, there was a model with a steel receiver that weighed 1/3 or 1/2 pound more. I thought that a little extra weight and strength would be a good idea for a duck gun, so I waited for awhile and then bought another pistol. (And the $328 Wal-Mart 1100 - which is now on sale at Green Top for $449!)

I'll see if the catalog is still 'filed' away at home. Filed - that's a joke.

John
Old August 9, 2002, 12:48 PM   #6
johnbt

Now they say...

Well, I found the old 112-page Beretta catalog and the notes I made when I was looking at 391s for a duck gun. My notes say that the salesman at Green Top(VA's largest Beretta dealer) told me that the weight difference between the 6.6# standard AL391 Urika and the 7.3# U model was due to the U model's steel receiver.

The reason I asked was because of a statement in the catalog. The old catalog only says that the "new" U model is "...for hunters who frequently shoot magnum loads." The four 7.3# models listed are the 391 Urika U(wood), U Gold(better wood and gold birds), Camo, and Synthetic(black).

So, having arrived at no conclusion, other than the fact that I have a faulty memory, I called Green Top. This time I was told by a different guy that the weight difference was in the fore-end. The salesman wasn't sure if it was due to a beefier gas mechanism, beefier forearm, or both.

Oh well, I've been wrong before. I'd call Beretta, but I need to get started on the second coat of paint on my neighbor's back porch.

John