The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 5, 2002, 06:44 PM   #1
Anthony

Time Devoted to Firearms versus Martial Arts

How do you split your training time between firearms and the martial arts?

For instances, each week you might spend 50% of your time training with firearms and the other 50% with martial arts.

Why does that ratio make sense to you?

I'm trying to factor this in with my ongoing search for a martial art.

Detailed opinions if possible please.

- Anthony
Old May 5, 2002, 07:35 PM   #2
gryphon

I spend about 70% of the time on MA. There are a lot more nuances to the martial arts that require more dedication than does a firearm. Not to mention the fact that it's a lot cheaper to practice martial arts thatn it is to go to the range.

MA = free in my back yard or garage
Firearms = $15 range fee, $20 in ammo
Old May 7, 2002, 01:41 PM   #3
scotjute

I would place first and foremost proficiency with a suitable firearm. Once proficient, practice as needed to maintain that proficiency. For me that amounts to about 3-4 times a year shooting the gun and perhaps a once a month session for about 5 - 10 miniutes with the gun empty. I've had my revolvers for several years and know them by heart. If I bought a new one I would spend more time with it til I felt comfortable with the way it shoots and handles.

I practice with katana once a week. But I really consider it more of a form of exercise and fun than legitimate self-defense as there is almost no circumstance that I can envision in which I would use it and not a gun to defend myself.
Old May 7, 2002, 01:47 PM   #4
C.R.Sam

Offensive and defensive firearms use is a part of martial arts.

I try to integrate all available tools, from empty hand to boom stick.

A gun is just another tool. The mind is the weapon.

Sam
Old May 7, 2002, 07:08 PM   #5
shy_man

As for now, I practice more often on my firearms target shooting rather than doing my former 3 to 4 times a week martial arts (hands, feet and body) training.

Like C.R. Sam said defensive and offensive firearms use is also an integral of martial arts. I found more interesting to me of having target practice, but of course my karate, hapkido and kendo are big help in case I am surprise by a closed fight.

PS. By the way C.R. Sam, my american uncle had enjoyed his 2 months vacation and he is now back to the state. I let him have his target shooting here and that retired former Navy can still shoot very good after emptying the first 1 mag. He enjoy staying in the north and work hard also in the rice grain drying. He lost 17 pounds of his weight after 2 months vacation and got a tan so much from the heat over here.