The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 14, 2017, 03:48 PM   #1
Japle

Remora OWB holster review.

I’ve been carrying various pistols in Remora IWB holsters for years and like them a lot. They’re very comfortable, durable, they stay put and they’re pretty cheap.
I recently bought one of their OWB holsters for a 3” 686 Plus revolver. It was on sale and I wanted to carry the gun as an experiment, replacing the XDS .45 I usually carry.
First, I talked to the nice lady at Remora and told her what I wanted. Remora lists the holster for a 2 ½” and 4”, but she told me they’d make it to fit the 3” and she was right. The length is perfect. Great customer service!
Two problems:
While the length is good, it’s a pretty loose holster. Frankly, I wouldn’t trust it to hold my gun if I was doing anything remotely active.
It doesn’t hold the gun in close at all. There’s a pretty good gap between the grip and me. I’m 5’9” with a 31” waist, so this might just be a problem for the thinner folks among us. This is not a stiff paddle holster and it wasn’t advertised that way. I can’t really complain.
So, for what it is, it’s a good value. For an IDPA beginner or to wear while you’re doing light chores, it’s fine. For concealment under a heavy jacket, it’ll work as long as you don’t run or fight.
I’m still a fan of Remora IWB holsters and don’t mean to bad-mouth the company. Not their fault I chose the wrong holster for the job.
Old October 14, 2017, 05:40 PM   #2
ShootistPRS

An OWB holster for serious carry should have a positive retention device. I prefer a thumb snap latch that covers the hammer but some of the trigger guard spring latches seem to work. I don't like pinch holsters unless they are shoulder holsters. Different strokes for different folks - some like being able to adjust the tension with a screw but as the leather ages you will have to keep adjusting it until there is no more adjustment. The snap is positive and forever. The spring loaded trigger guard latches seem to work when the latch and holster are used with the exact gun it was made for. In this case close is usually not good enough. If the gun doesn't go in far enough the latch won't have anything to catch and if the gun goes too deep it might discharge when holstering the gun.