The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 29, 2017, 10:14 PM   #26
turtlehead

That's a good deal because LaRue charges shipping.

I have three MBTs now and consider them to be the perfect fighting rifle trigger. Because I'm an expert. At fighting. With my rifle. And stuff.

But seriously, what I did notice about the MBT: This thing will be around and working long after I'm gone. It's built like a tank.

LaRue has a graph floating around out there somewhere showing the crispness of the break. It's pretty impressive.
Old September 29, 2017, 10:21 PM   #27
Stats Shooter

I will say, though a bit off topic, the worst trigger of all time goes to my SAIGA before I converted it back to it's intended setup. About 14.5 lbs and about 3/4" of travel
Old September 29, 2017, 10:55 PM   #28
turtlehead

I had a Benelli SuperNova with three and sometimes four distinct stages of creep. Not even sure how that was possible. Otherwise a fantastic shotgun.
Old September 29, 2017, 10:55 PM   #29
marine6680

That setup is how I got my MBT... They had the kit for $99 several months back.

I didn't care about the mockup lower, but it was a good price on the trigger.

The mockup is interesting though. I have a milspec in it now.
Old September 29, 2017, 11:22 PM   #30
turtlehead

I'm going to stick a mil-spec trigger in mine just to show people how bad stock AR triggers are.
Old September 30, 2017, 12:00 AM   #31
Stats Shooter

Bye the way,

The mil-spec factory trigger in this rifle breaks at 6 lbs 3oz. It has about 1/4" of travel, and it jumps as you pull it, almost like a 5 stage trigger .

And, fyi, this upper alone without the Troy flip up sights and bcm charging handle costs about $1,250. So it isn't like it is some cheapo off the rack rifle. Would it wear itself into a better trigger? Maybe. But that just goes to show you how even premium rifles can come with bad mil-spec triggers.

I might put the mil-spec into that mock lower and polish/dry fire it a thousand times to see if it gets better. But the rifle is getting a new trigger.
Old September 30, 2017, 07:58 AM   #32
ed308

I didn't care for how the MBT felt in the TAC (Trigger Action Chassie). It'll feel much better in the AR. LaRue had the TAC and trigger on sale for $99 a while back. You could also get a grip for another $10. I think LaRue was giving the TACs away during Shot Show.
Old September 30, 2017, 08:10 AM   #33
BumbleBug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
PSA $29.99 enhanced trigger is a perfect carbine trigger imo. Mid weight, just the right amount of creep, consistent as the gun gets dirtier.

ALG is more and possibly better, but the PSA was good for me.
+1
I have to agree with Nathan on this. This is a great trigger & compares favorably to the ALG but at a great on-sale price.
Old October 2, 2017, 07:58 PM   #34
Stats Shooter

I received the Larue MBT Trigger today and install it in my Danial Defense rifle. Let me say that this trigger is smooth and has no creep, gritty feel or any other reason not to like it. I am totally happy with it. I have installed enough triggers on rifles I own, both bolt, lever, and gas guns, to know without having shot it, to know if I like it or not.

But there is one issue. The pull weights are lower than advertised with JPE anti walk pins. I like JPE anti walk pins after having had some walk out. Anytime I swap triggers I buy a set.

With the walk pins the total pull weight on the lighter spring is about 3lbs 9 oz. And the heavier spring is 4lbs 6 oz.
I installed the light spring first and was surprised on the first pull how light it was. It felt like my AR-10 that has a SSA-E breaking at about 3 lbs 6 oz. I checked it with my RCBS and wheeler professional trigger pull gauges and both confirmed how light it is. I had to check a few of my other guns just to be sure both gauges were correct.

So I took the light spring off and put the heavier one on and it broke near 4.5 lbs.

I attribute this possibly to the different Trigger pins.
It isn't a problem, 4.5 lbs is perfectly acceptable for a battle rifle.... Especially a 2 stage 4.5 lbs.

But overall I am well pleased. The ALG is a fine Trigger, I put it in the mock lower and tried it and it will be going on my colt LE retro with a carry handle. But the MBT is superior, no doubt about it.

I obviously however cannot speak to durability yet, but I'm confident Larue would make it right if I had an issue.

Also, the dillo dust that came with my Aimpoint 3x magnifier and mounts tastes pretty good on pork chops and I put the bumper stickers on my son's electric 4 wheeler lol
Old October 2, 2017, 08:45 PM   #35
marine6680

You can always try the standard pins.

I have not had a pin walk on me, and it shouldn't be an issue on a properly made rifle.

I found the MBT to be fairly light as well.

When I used the included pins and the light trigger, I measured 4.5lb right after the install. After I put some light grease on the sear surface, the pull weight went down to a bit over 3lb... I believe 3lb 4oz or so.
Old October 2, 2017, 08:57 PM   #36
ed308

I've never had a MBT walk either. I've purchased all of my MBT when LaRue had them on sale for $99. They are a steal at that price. Glad you like it.
Old October 2, 2017, 09:22 PM   #37
Dragline45

There are a few companies out there that make slicked up Milspec triggers. I have two of them on my rifles, the ALG ACT, and the BCM PNT. Both start out as standard milspec triggers which have some work done to them then recoated in a teflon impregnated nickle finish, the ALG also comes with nickel coated pins.

While both are an improvement on the standard milspec trigger, I HIGHLY recommend the BCM PNT. It has a crisper break and less creep than the ALG. While the BCM PNT is the better trigger of the two, I won't get rid of my ALG as it's a great trigger in itself.

NOTE** Don't go polishing up your AR15 trigger sears, they are case hardened and by stoning or polishing the sears you are removing that case hardening and they will wear prematurely. They would have to be re-case hardened if you were to do any of this work and even then I wouldn't.
Old October 2, 2017, 09:33 PM   #38
Stats Shooter

Quote:
You can always try the standard pins.

I have not had a pin walk on me, and it shouldn't be an issue on a properly made rifle.

I found the MBT to be fairly light as well.

When I used the included pins and the light trigger, I measured 4.5lb right after the install. After I put some light grease on the sear surface, the pull weight went down to a bit over 3lb... I believe 3lb 4oz or so.
There is no reason to put the standard pins back in. The heavier trigger spring yields a break around 4.5lbs which I would call safe in a battle rifle..... Especially a 2 stage 4.5 lb trigger. Besides, I actually prefer light triggers, it's just that a defensive rifle trigger shouldn't be too light. My hunting rifles are only around 3 lbs.

I would call this a roaring success overall. A great trigger, good pull weight for a def rifle and 2 stages to boot, all for less than $120.

My AR-10 pins walked a bit before putting on anti walks. But it's a bit more violent than a .223
Old October 4, 2017, 01:40 PM   #39
Stats Shooter

I decided to add some images to this thread.

Here is how I had it setup for zeroing the irons and the Aimpoint system.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is my defensive Rifle setup that this gun will mostly stay in

[IMG][/IMG]

Shoots sub minute with a red dot and my bulk 62 gr fmj liads
Old October 4, 2017, 01:48 PM   #40
stagpanther

I haven't fitted the particular trigger you are talking about--I suppose it's conceivable that if there is some play in the trigger pins that could alter the way the hammer and trigger sear line up and break--possibly accounting for the difference you mention. I generally avoid light hammer springs on AR 10 type builds since that can open light strike can of worms.
Old October 4, 2017, 08:21 PM   #41
ed308

I installed a MBT on my newly built Aero 6.5 CM. Only 100+ rounds fired but no walking or light strikes.
Old October 4, 2017, 09:53 PM   #42
Stats Shooter

I don't expect any light strikes.

I talked to Larue and they explained the trigger thing. Long story short, the engineers use a device different than what I have (or most of us have) and it cannot roll. My tests are similar to what everyone else gets with my same scale and well within spec.

As for walking, I never said the pins MBT walked. I put them in without ever ever firing the gun. I just said I HAVE had other pins walk and lost one. So I now spend the $12 for anti walk pins.

As for primer strikes, even though I use the harder CCI 450's the primer strikes are deep... though I have only fired about 30 rounds zeroing and testing the Aimpoint
Old October 4, 2017, 10:54 PM   #43
marine6680

Testing trigger pull from the center of the trigger is usually the stated procedure.

I test mine where I place my finger, as that gives me an accurate pull weight for how the trigger is actually used.
Old October 6, 2017, 07:52 AM   #44
DMK

Quote:
I've always been a fan of the Rock River 2-stage triggers. One of the best triggers for the money imho.
I have RRA NM 2 stage triggers in all my ARs. I like them a lot. Very crisp, very simple, and you can buy them for about $100.

RRA says they are about a 4.5- 5lb pull. If I had any complaint about them, that's a little heavy, but is seems to be in line with others mentioned in this thread. My Tapco G2 triggers in my AKs are noticably lighter.