The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 14, 2002, 12:44 PM   #1
Drizzt

Burglar Beaten by Karate Expert

Burglar Beaten by Karate Expert

May 14, 2002 09:42 AM ET Email this article Printer friendly version

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - A burglar who tried to strangle a South African woman ended up in hospital with a fractured skull when the 45-year-old karate expert fought back, a local newspaper reported on Tuesday.

The Star said Marietjie Fourie, who will compete in the Shotokan Karate World Championships in 2003, let fly a flurry of blows when her attacker grabbed her at her home in the port city of Durban.

The man struck back, but Fourie grabbed wooden fighting sticks joined by a chain and lit into him, putting him in hospital with a smashed skull and facial bones.

Fourie was quoted by the newspaper as saying it was the third time she had physically repelled intruders or attackers.

"Every time I have caught someone trying to break into my house or attack me, I have beaten them off, incapacitating them or forcing them to flee," she said.

South Africa has one of the world's highest rates of violent crime and violence against women is widespread.

http://reuters.com/news_article.jhtm...StoryID=957743
"That a free citizen should have to go before a committee, hat in hand, and pray for permission to bear arms - fantastic! Arm your daughter, sir, and pay no attention to petty bureaucrats." Robert Heinlein - Red Planet
Old May 14, 2002, 02:57 PM   #2
C.R.Sam

Good lady.
Attitude and aptitude to survive.

Sam
Old May 14, 2002, 06:17 PM   #3
Skorzeny

Quote:
Fourie grabbed wooden fighting sticks joined by a chain...
This wouldn't be a nunchaku, wouldn't it? Wise lady - used the punches to distract and then grabbed a WEAPON (though perhaps it would have been better if she had grabbed a gun).

Skorzeny
Old May 14, 2002, 07:01 PM   #4
badboybob

Brave lady. Too bad she didn't have a 1911 to waste the perps sorry ass.
Old May 15, 2002, 04:05 PM   #5
gryphon

The perp was lucky that she took it easy on him.

I think that I would rather be shot and killed than be beaten to death.
Old May 15, 2002, 05:03 PM   #6
Frohickey

This is the correct way to use them.

SigSauer, if you are listening, MAKE A DOUBLE-STACK 10mm PISTOL!
Old May 15, 2002, 07:40 PM   #7
C.R.Sam

Skorzeny......I saw that too.
She may be a "Karate Expert" but she obviously has other talants too.

In an ideal world she would have had a gun at hand. But she did what was needed to be done with the tools at hand.

Sam
Old May 15, 2002, 10:47 PM   #8
Skorzeny

C.R.Sam & Frohickey:

Briefly, that's the mental image I had (except with some blonde looking Afrikaner woman).

I have to say, though, as goofy as Nunchakus (or as my wife calls it "Numchuks") can generate quite a force with small movements based on the pendulum effect.

I tried training with it when I was, oh about 12. I hit myself so many times that I gave up. Then I learned that you are supposed to whack people with it rather than swing it around your body impressively.

Skorzeny
Old May 16, 2002, 12:20 AM   #9
C.R.Sam

Bout seven or eight years ago a dumchucker was goin to take out an old man for fun and profit.

I still have those chucks. Sho glad he didn't know how to use them. I have played with them a little and don't want to spend the time learnin how to not hurt myself with em.

Sam
Old May 16, 2002, 05:23 PM   #10
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

The burglar is lucky. The lady was merciful. I've broken a concrete block into five or six pieces with those things and I am far from an expert.
Old May 17, 2002, 09:18 AM   #11
Coronach

Oops. To quote the knight from the end of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade:
Quote:
He chose...poorly.
Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old May 17, 2002, 11:49 AM   #12
foghornl

Pretty good ending, I would say.....the BG gets a state-sponsored room for a while, and gets the crap kicked out of himself, too
Old May 17, 2002, 12:12 PM   #13
hitnthexring

I'd like to shake that lady's hand (very carefully & only after asking permission). BUT, he will probably do it again to someone else as soon as he recovers. Therefore, multiple gunshot wounds solve his problems permanently. If guns are not allowed in her area, use those sticks until they break.