The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 4, 2018, 03:42 PM   #1
AL45

How many guns do you take to the range?

How many guns do you guys take to the range? Yesterday, my son and I went to the indoor range and took 6 handguns and three rifles which is pretty typical. We stayed about two hours but have stayed longer on occassion. He outshot me with the .22 revolvers and I outshot him with the .45 Colt revolver and .22 lever action rifle. We declared a tie on the .45 ACP pistols, the AR15, the .22 semi-auto pistol and the 7.35mm Carcano bolt action.
Old July 4, 2018, 04:07 PM   #2
Targa

Kind of depends on my intentions, if it is to sight in a gun I usually just bring it and whatever my wife wants to shoot. If it is just to shoot for an hour or so we bring four, maybe five guns with us.
Old July 4, 2018, 04:26 PM   #3
xcc_rider

I usually only bring 3-4. 3 pistols/revolver and a long gun.
The pistols/revolver stay in my every day range case and I choose between a varmint or evil rifle to accompany me depending on which other range I plan on using.
Old July 4, 2018, 05:57 PM   #4
TJB101

I have to think long and hard about the impending cleaning... with that said, typically 3. Hate cleaning the stainless 357 ... always cringe a little when I plan on shooting it.
Old July 4, 2018, 06:54 PM   #5
Prof Young

2-4

Kind of depends on time of year and hankering.

Time of year because in the summer I only shoot at the in-side range and it is not air conditioned. Big fans only. Gets a touch warm if you stay too long. Winter it's cooler in there and I have a number of places I can shoot outside in the winter so I go for longer. Longer I plan to be there more guns I take.

Also, if I just have a hankering to shoot I open the gun safe and see what tickles my fancy. I think the most I've ever taken to the range were five. Four in a case and my carry gun.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old July 4, 2018, 07:10 PM   #6
JohnKSa
Staff

Rifle range, at most 2, usually only 1.

Handgun range. Almost never more than 3 if it's just me. If I'm going shooting with someone else and taking a gun for them that would increase the likely count.

Usually I take a single handgun that I intend to shoot most of the time.

Sometimes I take a second handgun that I want or need to shoot--a trip awhile back had me taking, in addition to the main gun I intended to shoot, a recent purchase which needed a first checkout to see if it might be reliable enough to serve as a carry gun.

It's also not uncommon for me to take a rimfire handgun in case I finish my centerfire shooting and want to keep shooting. That would get the count to 2 or maybe 3.
Old July 4, 2018, 07:19 PM   #7
UncleEd

One revolver.

And never plan to shoot more than 50 to 70 rounds.
Often less.

Or at one time, one auto.

And four mags to shoot 60 rounds.

All of it falls into what I call defensive hand gunning.

Once a week, maybe three times a month.
Old July 4, 2018, 07:23 PM   #8
EIB0879

Rifle or handgun range- two or three depending on how I feel.

More if the kids are with me.
Old July 4, 2018, 10:25 PM   #9
Eazyeach

No matter what I always bring more than one. I rarely have time to shoot, so I’m not going to risk going to the range and having one gun that could break or something. Would ruin my trip.

Usually I shoot 2-3 guns when I go to the range. I used to take as many as I could carry but I didn’t like cleaning guns for hours when I got home.
Old July 4, 2018, 10:34 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

To the range, by myself or with my son:
--One to three rifles.
--One or two handguns. (Plus concealed daily carry.)

The handguns, more often than not, are just a way to pass the time and maintain some proficiency while waiting on rifle barrels to cool (just in case the scroungers have already been through and picked up all the brass - which is how I usually handle barrel cooling).

If it's just a 'quick' zero verification, load testing, or other minor test trip, it's possible that I might only have one rifle or handgun and the CC handgun in its holster. They're sort of 'hit and run' trips, where I'm anticipating less than 20 minutes on the range - including target setup, if necessary.

--

To the desert/mountains with family:
--Typically three to five rifles, and maybe a shotgun; but there have been times when I ran out of rifle cases and had to wrap "lower value" or more beaten-and-battered long guns in blankets.
--Typically three to five handguns, the daily carry (and/or OC piece), and extra ammo for the CC/OC handgun(s). ...But sometimes more.

Back in December, January, and February, I was running all of my 9mms quite a lot, while testing and comparing a new Remington RP9 (it was crap and quickly traded, for the record). But, of course, I still took plenty of the usual suspects. For one of those trips, I had one range bag stuffed full of 9mms, one range bag packed with nothing but magazines, and another bag packed full of other handguns. (Plus the rifles, multiple ammo cans, standard range bag, rest/bipod/tool/battery/target bag, folding tables, the chronograph, and more...)
Old July 4, 2018, 11:25 PM   #11
TXAZ

1-5 depending on available time, which range and who is going.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old July 5, 2018, 12:44 AM   #12
mr bolo

when I go to indoor ranges I usually bring 2 - 3 handguns

when I use outdoor ranges I bring maybe one handgun and two rifles

I try not to bring too much in one trip.
Old July 5, 2018, 02:12 AM   #13
Metal god

Do you remember the days you used to take them all , not any more lol . Over the years I've learned to take less and less but still hate it when I don't bring enough or the right ones .

Two range trips ago I brought 7 guns with me . This was going to be a 3 or 4 hour session with a couple friends who bring there own . When shooting with friends we try to touch base with one another as to what the others are bringing for a multitude of reasons . Like types of shooting games we might play so we need to bring similar firearms to play . At least some of the same calibers/cartridges so we can shoot each others guns with are own ammo or even making sure you bring enough ammo for your firearm that your buddy can at least shoot it a little bit if they want . That range trip four of the seven I brought never even left there cases and that was pretty much the same for everyone else . So the next time out with the same group we did not talk much before and we all only brought a couple firearms and none of us brought the same caliber as the others . That trip was interesting because of the fact none of us were shooting anything similar or the same cartridge . It was more like we were all there shooting alone , at least while the line was hot . When the line was cold we'd all get together and hang out but it was not the same .

My point is I have no set amount that I bring but I generally do bring more then I'll actually shoot . For me , once I'm there I may want to change the plan or maybe I run into someone I was not expecting to be shooting and I want to be prepared to shoot what ever may be needed to shoot

So in general regardless of what the plan is . Lets say I'm going to be shooting handguns for the afternoon . I'll still bring at least one long gun and usually two and vice versa just so I'm not sitting there wish I brought such-n-such .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; July 5, 2018 at 02:17 AM.
Old July 5, 2018, 07:21 AM   #14
EM44052

Since I clean my handguns and rifles each time I shoot them, I tend to only take 3 or 4 with me to the range. There are occasions where I have a person with me that wants to shoot several of my handguns/ rifles and I may take more in those cases.
Old July 5, 2018, 09:38 AM   #15
Aguila Blanca
Staff

One or two. Can't remember ever taking more than three for one session.
Old July 5, 2018, 09:52 AM   #16
ATN082268

Usually 1 or 2...

The vast majority of the time, I take 1 or 2 guns to the range.
Old July 5, 2018, 10:33 AM   #17
mr bolo

when you bring more than you can use, you end up getting tired and wasting ammo , then you have a bunch of guns to clean

if you focus on a couple of guns you get more quality practice, it's better to be fresh when practicing to get better accuracy on your targets.
Old July 5, 2018, 10:40 AM   #18
Ruga Booga

Usually 2, sometimes 3. I really do not like cleaning.
Old July 5, 2018, 01:07 PM   #19
UncleEd

From Mr. Bolo:
when you bring more than you can use, you end up getting tired and wasting ammo , then you have a bunch of guns to clean

if you focus on a couple of guns you get more quality practice, it's better to be fresh when practicing to get better accuracy on your targets

EXCELLENT advice.
Old July 5, 2018, 01:13 PM   #20
Guggmeister

1-2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old July 5, 2018, 01:40 PM   #21
glockman55

2-4 but it's my range so the House is close by.
Old July 5, 2018, 03:36 PM   #22
TruthTellers

2 minimum, but usually 3. Never know when one may give an issue and I'd rather use my time at the range then have to pack up and go home cuz I didn't bring enough guns.
Old July 5, 2018, 03:43 PM   #23
TailGator

I usually take three for myself, once in a great while a fourth (when I want to put a few rounds through one of my more rarely shot guns). The count can go up if someone goes with me and they want to shoot something in particular. I expect help in cleaning when that happens.
Old July 5, 2018, 05:58 PM   #24
WV_gunner

Whatever I can afford to shoot. If I ever get to the point again I’d bring more.
Old July 5, 2018, 07:52 PM   #25
2ndtimer

Minimum of 4 rifles, and 1 to 4 handguns, if center-fire. For rimfire, just two rifles and a Ruger 22/45. Unfortunately if my son comes along, he usually also brings at least 3 center-fire rifles, as well. The Forester gets a little crowded!